Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Well it really depends on the room and set up.

In a normal consumer home, or with poor set up the SEOS are not going to win. There's no question about that.

In a large sound treated theater and proper set up and calibration - they probably would easily.

Certain parts and certain designs lend them self well to certain applications.

I wouldn't want a SEOS in a living room with hard wood floors and peak ceiling - lol.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Lol, I have both hard floors and a center peaked ceiling. I am very happy. smile.gif
post #93 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I would imagine that the Seos will sound great, but you may not like the sound compared to you N803's, especially for 2-channel, but none the less, I absolutely can not wait to hear your comparison between these and your Nautilus 803's!
post #94 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I wouldn't want a SEOS in a living room with hard wood floors and peak ceiling - lol.

Actually the main appeal of the SEOS design is that it minimizes reflections from the floor, ceiling, and side walls. The sound is aimed at the listening position.
post #95 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I would imagine that the Seos will sound great, but you may not like the sound compared to you N803's, especially for 2-channel, but none the less, I absolutely can not wait to hear your comparison between these and your Nautilus 803's!

It is not about which is better, it will be about how close the SEOS comes for much less in price. One could always build a more expensive seos speaker to match them and still save money. I find it fun to discover better performance for less money.
post #96 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

+1

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #97 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

It is not about which is better, it will be about how close the SEOS comes for much less in price. One could always build a more expensive seos speaker to match them and still save money. I find it fun to discover better performance for less money.

Damn right. That's what DIY is all about for me, baby!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #98 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Me too!
post #99 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey bass you have the 803 nautilus (803n) right? Have you ever compared them to the 803 diamonds?
post #100 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

Hey bass you have the 803 nautilus (803n) right? Have you ever compared them to the 803 diamonds?
Nope. I'm afraid if I did, that I would like it so much more that my current ones that they would then sound like "garbage" to me. cool.gif

I would expect the diamonds to have a touch more bass, and more transparent highs. But for $10,000 more.... they better. (They better come with some free blow and a hooker too.)

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #101 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What is your room and set up look like ? Do you have AT ?

-

post #102 of 482 Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

Actually the main appeal of the SEOS design is that it minimizes reflections from the floor, ceiling, and side walls. The sound is aimed at the listening position.

You beat me to it. That is one of the main appeals of the SEOS, less room interaction.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #103 of 482 Old 07-12-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It still interacts and I'd imagine they can sound harsh in a poor environment.

-

post #104 of 482 Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

What makes the B&W perform "better" in this "poor environment"?

This is what they are trying to explain. The SEOS , or any directivity based design, has a better chance for sounding BETTER in non-treated, non-optimal rooms BECAUSE of its ability to "focus" the sound where you want it.

In a treated room, the SEOS will not shine as easily. I will be surprised if he doesn't prefer the speakers he already has. It will not be because of the SEOS waveguide, but because of the woofer choice. An increase of what, $800 total , puts him into AE woofers with his build...I just cant see spending $3k on a hope, when $3.8k will actually get you there.
post #105 of 482 Old 07-12-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFinWiley View Post

What makes the B&W perform "better" in this "poor environment"?

This is what they are trying to explain. The SEOS , or any directivity based design, has a better chance for sounding BETTER in non-treated, non-optimal rooms BECAUSE of its ability to "focus" the sound where you want it.

In a treated room, the SEOS will not shine as easily. I will be surprised if he doesn't prefer the speakers he already has. It will not be because of the SEOS waveguide, but because of the woofer choice. An increase of what, $800 total , puts him into AE woofers with his build...I just cant see spending $3k on a hope, when $3.8k will actually get you there.

Yes, this is what we are referring to. Should have explained why the SEOS design would be better, rather than just saying less interaction.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #106 of 482 Old 07-12-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is your room and set up look like ? Do you have AT ?

The speakers won't be behind a screen. In theater v2 I might think about it, but that's like 10 years away.
I put a link in my sig.

post #107 of 482 Old 07-12-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have to worry about the "poor environment" aspect.
I'd say my acoustics are better than all but the professionally tuned rooms (more or less); and by professional I mean that that is their primary job and that they have been doing it for at good 10 years or more; or some such...

I mean, I demoed my system to my brother in-laws friends and 10 seconds into "Imagine Dragons - Radioactive" he was jumping up and down and giving my high fives... and I don't even know this dude; and that's just on the "small" 7inch B&W mains yet smile.gif

post #108 of 482 Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had an OCD meltdown. Here's my first stab at the XO. Do not cross the streams!!!!!! biggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

post #109 of 482 Old 07-19-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The xover on the left, one inductor should be standing up.

coilplacement.gif
Bombelman likes this.

post #110 of 482 Old 07-19-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

The xover on the left, one inductor should be standing up.

coilplacement.gif

Standing one up would be a good idea, if he puts them closer than shown. Right now, they look like they are more than 20CM center to center.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #111 of 482 Old 07-19-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They are ~90mm apart or 3.5inches.
20cm is 8 inches, which is nearly the length of the whole board.

post #112 of 482 Old 07-20-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

They are ~90mm apart or 3.5inches.
20cm is 8 inches, which is nearly the length of the whole board.

Then rotate one. I stand corrected. smile.gif

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #113 of 482 Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just placed shipment #4.
Needed more "things", does it ever end??? redface.gif

My Rat Shack iron broke and I forget 14 of the bus bars.

I also needed an adapter for my headphones for the Oppo 105.

Also an 2x4 HDMI matrixer, for matrixing the 105/HTPC/Cable TV (source) Projector/Monitor (display) together. This will bypass the 105's HDMI-In as it only has 1 input.

and another long HDMI for that, eventually I'll look into wireless HDMI but this $10 will make-do for now...

post #114 of 482 Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So with my OCD in nasty-inductor-hyperdrive.

Here's v2.0 biggrin.gif

No crossing magnetic fields or streams!!!!

post #115 of 482 Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just ordered the tweeters. Probably the best $900 I ever spent... Guess we'll find out when they be's here. biggrin.gif

post #116 of 482 Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Why didn't you order the kits weeks ago?

post #117 of 482 Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Hopefully there are enough 350's left. I bet I was working on the page while you were checking out. Right after I changed the page and hit 'save' to let people know those CD's were nearly gone, I saw that you placed your order. We should be okay though, but it's going to be close.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #118 of 482 Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Why didn't you order the kits weeks ago?

Couldn't afford it. I've spent about $30,000 beefing up my theater just in 2013 alone redface.gif
Want to take on some of my debt load so I can spend faster? (no) hehe, that's what I thought! biggrin.gif

One can not be in a hurry when dealing with systems this expensive (unless you're Bill Gates of course).
It's taken me 10 years to get this far, with no End Date in sight.

Bills still need to be paid, things go on sale and that changes the order of events (if your trying to not lose more money than necessary that is).
Things take as long as they need to take; just imagine how long it would be if my gear started failing and needing replacement for like-value,
if it was a core component of my system it could nearly be the death of me; I'd have to scale back to "normal folk" gear or take the hit and wait it out, or falsify an insurance claim. eek.gif

post #119 of 482 Old 07-23-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

I just ordered the tweeters. Probably the best $900 I ever spent... Guess we'll find out when they be's here. biggrin.gif

Have you, or anyone else, thought about doing a cheap thrills build utilizing the DNA-360 as opposed to the DNA-350? I realize that it would require a new crossover design, but I personally think that this would be a terrific idea!
post #120 of 482 Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It shouldn't change the crossover design at all. Other than a slight difference in low end coverage between the compression drivers and perhaps manufacturing consistency (which Erich pretty much nullifies by pre-measuring each driver), the two match very closely. As does the DE250, for that matter.

DIY Synergy horn spreadsheet

XSim -free crossover designer and simulator
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page