On/Off - Relay solution for Pro Amps ... anyone used Insteon? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use iRule for my HT and this product claims up to 20 amps (most 12v triggers I see are 15 amps). For the price, seems like good deal and you can easily add it to your power on/off macros. Anyone tried one?

http://www.smarthome.com/2475SDB/In-LineLinc-Relay-INSTEON-Remote-Control-In-Line-On-Off-Switch-Dual-Band/p.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd be interested to see if this would work well.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'm within a couple weeks of starting a build, so maybe I will be the guinea pig .. I was hoping someone else had already done it or could advise why not to do it.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 AM

Liked: 11
I've got my crown pro amp hooked up to a light switch that is there to control a plug socket. It's only an xls1000 so not too concerned, works great for us! Flip the switch for bass...
post #5 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 AM

Liked: 31
I have these INSTEON wall outlets in my bedroom running some lights tied to a single wall switch. I'm not sure if they'll handle an amplifier but they say rated for 15A. From what I can tell they may be solid state relays cause they are pretty expensive and no mechanical noise when switching.
Note which model you buy cause the ones I have only the TOP outlet is switched or programmable; the bottom one is a pass through.
Worth a shot.

on second thought i'd scratch the idea

(incandescent loads) only is what it's rated for

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #6 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

I have these INSTEON wall outlets in my bedroom running some lights tied to a single wall switch. I'm not sure if they'll handle an amplifier but they say rated for 15A. From what I can tell they may be solid state relays cause they are pretty expensive and no mechanical noise when switching.
Note which model you buy cause the ones I have only the TOP outlet is switched or programmable; the bottom one is a pass through.
Worth a shot.

on second thought i'd scratch the idea

(incandescent loads) only is what it's rated for
I see, so if they're rated for incandescent loads then it's essentially a constant load rating vs a varying load? A high enough incandescent load could work couldn't it, like 20 amps for~15 amps of amplifier (varying) load?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi SuperEdge,
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post

I see, so if they're rated for incandescent loads then it's essentially a constant load rating vs a varying load? A high enough incandescent load could work couldn't it, like 20 amps for~15 amps of amplifier (varying) load?
When they say "incandescent load" only, what they really mean is "non-reactive" or "resistive" loads only. An inductive load, like the power transformer inside your amp, would cause problems for that module.

They do make "appliance modules" which are designed for reactive loads, like motors. One of those would be appropriate for an amp.

I tried Insteon when it was first released, and it was unreliable. Seeing as they are still around years later, I would assume that they have addressed those original issues.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi SuperEdge,
When they say "incandescent load" only, what they really mean is "non-reactive" or "resistive" loads only. An inductive load, like the power transformer inside your amp, would cause problems for that module.

They do make "appliance modules" which are designed for reactive loads, like motors. One of those would be appropriate for an amp.

I tried Insteon when it was first released, and it was unreliable. Seeing as they are still around years later, I would assume that they have addressed those original issues.
I figured if they're 277v rated, they would be able to handle various phase angles? However, if an amp had a PFC of 0.98-1.0, that's close enough to being purely resistive?

YID DIY
post #9 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM

Liked: 55
I use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Socket-Energy-Saving/dp/B003P2UMQ2/ref=pd_sim_e_3

I have an Onkyo TX-SR703 (that's what I have plugged into the detection socket) and a Crown XLS 1000 and a Crown XLS 1500 that I'm switching.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi LooneyBomber,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

I figured if they're 277v rated, they would be able to handle various phase angles? However, if an amp had a PFC of 0.98-1.0, that's close enough to being purely resistive?
Good point. The problem with reactive loads is that the SCRs or triacs shut off when the current reaches the zero-crossing, and not the voltage. So any PFC device should be ok.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page