SEOS Speaker Stands - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've gotten around to the point where I need to get some stands for my SEOS speakers, and I've been having trouble settling on a design.

cuzed has a great design in his SEOS thread, but I didn't include any holes for mounting screws or anything, and I'm not really keen to do that (unless it's necessary).

What is everyone doing for theirs? I'd love to see some more designs, or suggestions for commercial stands that would do the trick for these kind of large speakers.

Sounds Good to Me... keeping track of my audio projects.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
One of the reasons I went with towers is because of this. I haven't found any decent stands that can hold these 70+lb monsters. (mine anyway).
post #3 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I am going to build ones exactly like JTR speaker stands for the T12s. They look like an extension of the speaker or just like towers. Check out the JTR forum for the pictures. There are also some pictures on the JTR thread. You can look at Carps pictures of his Noesis. The stands are identical.
Good luck
Chris W
post #4 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

I like the look of those JTR stands. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I can't imagine getting much more stable than that either. Especially when weighted down.

post #5 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 150
They are a simple build. Exact dimensions of the speaker width and depth then however tall you need them to be. You can also round over the edges. My T12s are on 18" stands that Jeff built. They will easily hold over 200lbs. The cavity can be filled with sand but it is not necessary. Duratex on the speakers and stands completes the match for me.
Chris W
post #6 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 326
post #7 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 02:51 PM

Liked: 11
I am building a set right now. 3/4" MDF for top and bottom connected with 3/8" althread then lined with 3" PVC tubing and filled with sand. I build the same ones here and they worked GREAT!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=89474.20

I'm making the base 12x12 and the top 9-5/8"x10-1/2" (if I remember right, I'm not looking at the plans right now). I'm painting the top and bottom the same black I painted my Karma-8's and doing the pipe gray I think.

Scott
post #8 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 326
also Scott i was going to build ones like Cursed did, i actually have all the stuff inb my basement but got lazy

you dont need to worry about mounting them, the weight alone shoudl keep them in place just fine, and you can use some of the anti slide material/rubber feat on them if you want. speakers shoudl not move unless you really run into them
post #9 of 16 Old 05-08-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

also Scott i was going to build ones like Cursed did, i actually have all the stuff inb my basement but got lazy

you dont need to worry about mounting them, the weight alone shoudl keep them in place just fine, and you can use some of the anti slide material/rubber feat on them if you want. speakers shoudl not move unless you really run into them

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I'm just a little paranoid about tipping. I'm almost considering just getting a few of these: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40104270/#/20011408 and calling it a day, haha. Some real stands would definitely look nicer.

I might be able to put them on my subs, but that would still leave the center, and I'd like to have to option to move the subs around to get the best placement.

post #10 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 12:14 PM
a|F

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I built my stands out of 6x6" lumber. Routed the edges, filled in cracks, sanded smooth, and added an mdf base slightly larger than the speaker's footprint. Finished off with truck bedliner spray paint. Used super heavy duty velcro to connect the speakers, as I didn't want to screw into the SHO's due to their imminent sale for a SEOS upgrade. The setup is exceptionally sturdy and looks good too.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Nice! I like the idea of using lumber, easier than what I'm doing. How much do they weigh?
post #12 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

I am going to build ones exactly like JTR speaker stands for the T12s. They look like an extension of the speaker or just like towers. Check out the JTR forum for the pictures. There are also some pictures on the JTR thread. You can look at Carps pictures of his Noesis. The stands are identical.
Good luck
Chris W

+1

It looks quite fine when they look like part of the speaker.

Here are the stands I built for some MTMs I use..... Filled with sand for inertness and run speaker wire up through them in conduit or inside.....

post #13 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM
a|F

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My scale says the total weight is 44#. Assuming CHT was accurate with their weight of 28#, that puts the stands at ~16#. The 6x6" portion is only 20" tall.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by a|F View Post

I built my stands out of 6x6" lumber. Routed the edges, filled in cracks, sanded smooth, and added an mdf base slightly larger than the speaker's footprint. Finished off with truck bedliner spray paint. Used super heavy duty velcro to connect the speakers, as I didn't want to screw into the SHO's due to their imminent sale for a SEOS upgrade. The setup is exceptionally sturdy and looks good too.

Simple and effective. I like it. I've sanus stands from PE holding my SHO's. Honestly if you secure the top plate to the speaker I couldn't see why they wouldn't hold more weight approx double easy. They are steel and overbuilt. Top plates are a little small for large SEOS designs. Once filled with sand these sanus stands are pretty solid. But for cheap I'd look at homeade with ability to fill with a few pounds of sand each. Building towers instead will make life easier biggrin.gif

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #15 of 16 Old 05-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Here are mine. Turned out pretty good. Ill take a pic of the Karmas on them shortly. Still need to get the caps to cover the bolt holes.

post #16 of 16 Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 PM

And with the Karmas on top.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page