Do amps matter? Blind test GTG. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 05-10-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 408
I know this belongs in the amplifier section (and I'm going to put a link there too) but most of my time on AVS is spent in the DIY section. I respect a lot of people's opinion here so I wanted to post it here too.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472180/do-amps-matter-kansas-city-blind-amp-comparison-gtg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-10-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Please post all comments to the GTG thread link

Thanks! I wanted to make people aware of the blind test but it will be easier to keep all discussion in one place. smile.gif
I'll bump this thread occasionally just so more members can see it.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Shameless bump. smile.gif

I'm really hoping to find someone that has a tube amp or class A amp.

Invitation still wide open, PM me if interested.

Please post any replies or discussion to the GTG thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472180/do-amps-matter-kansas-city-blind-amp-comparison-gtg#post_23300536
post #4 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 304
The Emotiva XPR-1, XPA-1, and XPA-1L run in Class-A mode for the first 50watts or so. Beyond that they go back into A/B.
Those are the cheapest "Class-A" amps I know of that do that.
XPA-1L being the lowest quality of the three, which is still pretty good (or so I've heard).
post #5 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 403
If you want a class A to 50 watts you can get a used Ada multichannel amp for less than those emo amps.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

The Emotiva XPR-1, XPA-1, and XPA-1L run in Class-A mode for the first 50watts or so. Beyond that they go back into A/B.
Those are the cheapest "Class-A" amps I know of that do that.
XPA-1L being the lowest quality of the three, which is still pretty good (or so I've heard).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

If you want a class A to 50 watts you can get a used Ada multichannel amp for less than those emo amps.

There is no chance either of these amps run to more than 5 watts in Class A mode. They would be cooking all inhabitants at 50 watts.

explore the music
post #7 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They do run hot at lower volumes and cooler when blasting along.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a suggestion. If you want to try a lower powered amp that should sound like high end amps for the cheap and power all the speakers there is a used Ada PTM-850 on ebay for $350. This is an 8 channel amp that will run your Noesis to very loud levels. It is stable to 2 ohms as well. These are very nice little amps and for $350 you can't beat it. Your speakers don't need lots of power and using this amp can prove it. 85 watts into your speakers should get you to club or concert levels which would damage your hearing eventually anyways. I just came from a full Ada setup which sound really good but like what I have now better.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks MK, I'll look into it.

You're right about this being bad for the hearing, last night I was listening to music and I didn't think it was that loud. I look up and my wife had come downstairs and was trying to tell me something but I couldn't hear anything she was saying. It was weird because it didn't seem like there was enough volume to be drowning her out like that. I said something before turning it down and couldn't hear my own voice as well as I thought I would either.

I'm going to have to be careful... I use to always listen around 85 db's with the occasional cranking the volume. Lately it's been the opposite. eek.gif I can't help it, it sounds so good.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, I don't go over 0 MV except for the bass. This way I reach anywhere from 100-110 dBs with music depending on source and my ears never get fatigued, ringing, or plugged. I used to get crazy and chase the highest spl with bass until I started to plug my ears all the time during a movie and it was not fun so I decided there is such a thing as too much overhead.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh yeah, that Ada amp will sound great and more powerful than the specs indicate. It would be interesting to try it out and see if the power of the crown matters at all. You know me, if you don't like it I may need an extra amp as I only use a 100 watt per channel 5 channel now.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Just when I think I do listen kinda loud, I read comments like yours rolleyes.gif I rarely go over -15db MV. Haha. And my speaker levels are below 0db. I'm pretty sure my 90 watt receiver is all I need biggrin.gif
post #13 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Just when I think I do listen kinda loud, I read comments like yours rolleyes.gif I rarely go over -15db MV. Haha. And my speaker levels are below 0db. I'm pretty sure my 90 watt receiver is all I need biggrin.gif

Over the weekend I was getting a little crazy and at one point really let loose for about 20 seconds. I checked the receiver and the volume was at 15 over reference.

Yeah, I know, very stupid. I don't do that often, right now I'm at 20 under reference and perfectly happy with it.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 02:56 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Over the weekend I was getting a little crazy and at one point really let loose for about 20 seconds. I checked the receiver and the volume was at 15 over reference.

What have I got myself into? lol.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Are you going to the GTG RB? Bring some earplugs eek.gif
post #16 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM

Yep. iirc, there are some Metallica framed album covers in some pics I've seen of carp's place...so, if it's anything as loud as the And Justice For All tour, I'll come prepared. lol
post #17 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny View Post

Yep. iirc, there are some Metallica framed album covers in some pics I've seen of carp's place...so, if it's anything as loud as the And Justice For All tour, I'll come prepared. lol

Haha, don't worry Nate we will keep the volume in check for sure for the blind part and when I do crank it up for demo's later I'll keep the higher volume stuff at short durations.

Now, if I do start drinking a lot you guys might want to make sure I don't know where the remote is!! smile.gif
post #18 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on a second. Are you saying you saw the on the Damaged Justice Tour? Oh man, am I jealous. That would have been the ultimate concert for me. Not a possibility of a bad song on the whole set, nothing but the first 4 albums - heaven man. cool.gif Even a teaser from To Live is To Die... I could go on and on...

Where was the concert?
post #19 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 04:40 PM

That would be the one. It was the best performance of Metallica I've seen and I've seen them nine times. Municipal Auditorium '88. I was 16 and drove all my buddies there. Wish I could've seen Burton, but that all happened two years earlier. Anyway...Jason Newsted was an animal!!! And yes, only the first four does it for me. cool.gif Ok, ok, you're playing Metallica at the GTG now. lol
post #20 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be the one. It was the best performance of Metallica I've seen and I've seen them nine times. Municipal Auditorium '88. I was 16 and drove all my buddies there. Wish I could've seen Burton, but that all happened two years earlier. Anyway...Jason Newsted was an animal!!! And yes, only the first four does it for me. cool.gif Ok, ok, you're playing Metallica at the GTG now. lol

I was 14 when that album came out, and still too much under my parents thumb to be able to go to a concert. I've seen them 5 times, but not until the black album tour, so I did have songs I had to "suffer" through to get to the good stuff.

I've grown to appreciate the black album a bit as I get older, if nothing more than for the sound quality. It really does *sound* amazing. However it does not touch the brilliance of the albums before it and never will and when I play it it's bits an pieces more for demo purposes than anything else. When I put on Master of Puppets usually the whole album will be played.

Yeah, seeing Cliff would have been amazing but I still say the tour with Justice would be the best... because well.. you get songs from Justice.

Ha, it's not a GTG over here if Metallica is not played. smile.gif

One song post Justice I do really love and I don't know why - Bleeding Me. For some reason it does it for me.
post #21 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I like to throw in The Big 4 bluray sometimes and crank it. Pretty decent set. Even a couple off Kill 'em All which is their best album next to Puppets IMO.

I'm really liking Mastodons stuff. Check out Crack the Skye if you haven't already. Also Slipknot live from Download is a great bluray. It's from Eagle Rock so of course it's good.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #22 of 25 Old 05-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Agree 100% carp. The sound changed after Puppets, but it spawned a whole new breed of music when 'thrash' began to fade. Gotta crank Blackened at the gtg. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

I'm really liking Mastodons stuff.

Heck yeah, Mastadon is awesome. Blood and Thunder, baby.
post #23 of 25 Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
You guys make me feel really old, I remember being excited when the Black Sabbath Sabotage album came out. It was a great day. Mastodon is pretty good, I was pleasantly surprised.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

post #24 of 25 Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

I like to throw in The Big 4 bluray sometimes and crank it. .
I can never stop listening to Slayer long enough to give Metallica a chance on that BR. That night belonged to Slayer!!! wink.gif
Metallica Quebec Magnetic is one of the best Metallica recordings on BR in a while. Great Playlist too.cool.gif It also can make a high quality amp really shine.
Chris W
post #25 of 25 Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bump.

Jonathan is working on an idea for fast switching between amps, check out the details and add any suggestions/input.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472180/do-amps-matter-kansas-city-blind-amp-comparison-gtg/30#post_23329081
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page