DIY transportable speaker system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-12-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys.

First of all, we're two guys who are on our first DIY speaker project here, so we've just set out on the journy and know - basically nothing about DIY speaker setup.

But here in Denmark it's "common" for festival-attenders to have a portable speaker system, which you can bring to the festival to blast music through, throughout the festival (some festivals last up to a week).

Here's a google search for "Roskilde anlæg" (eng.: Roskilde speaker system)
Let me see this!

So as I said, we're two guys planning to build a speaker system like this, but we're planning to make it as small as possible yet as loud as possible. We're thinking it's a good idea to go for the midtones in such a speaker system.

Do you have any ideas for which speakers would good to use for such project? Or do you know how do to best power a portable speaker system like that?

Basically any hat-tips for a small, loud, portable speaker system would be appriciated!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-12-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehHO View Post

Hi guys.

First of all, we're two guys who are on our first DIY speaker project here, so we've just set out on the journy and know - basically nothing about DIY speaker setup.

But here in Denmark it's "common" for festival-attenders to have a portable speaker system, which you can bring to the festival to blast music through, throughout the festival (some festivals last up to a week).

Here's a google search for "Roskilde anlæg" (eng.: Roskilde speaker system)
Let me see this!

So as I said, we're two guys planning to build a speaker system like this, but we're planning to make it as small as possible yet as loud as possible. We're thinking it's a good idea to go for the midtones in such a speaker system.

Do you have any ideas for which speakers would good to use for such project? Or do you know how do to best power a portable speaker system like that?

Basically any hat-tips for a small, loud, portable speaker system would be appriciated!

Loud/small is most easily obtained by concentrating on midrange response. In the US my favorite portable system is a pair of Electrovoice ZX-1 speakers with a ca. 50-100 wpc power amp.

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=250

You might find something similar locally or want to do something with DIY. The basic formula is a robust high quality horn midrange/tweeter with a high efficiency (95 dB/W) 8 inch speaker in a fairly minimal enclosure.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-12-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
There was another thread on here years back about a guy trying to build a mobile audio system for his bike. It had to run off a 12v battery. I have no idea what ever happened with that.

What kind of power source do you have? For example, if it has to be self powered, meaning battery and/or generator, the efficiency is your first priority. If you have unlimited power, then compactness is your priority.

YID DIY
post #4 of 5 Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You need to define small.... and how loud you're aiming for. Number of expected people in the audience, and genre of music would help too.

Sounds like quality isn't as big a concern here? As in, you'd take smaller over higher distortion? (within reason of course)

-Mike Bentz
~It's all about compromise~
post #5 of 5 Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm putting together a similar system, I'll be running a pair of Alpha-8 Minions off a peavey IPR-1600, and a ss15 subwoofer.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page