Amp suggestions please! I have eight 2 ohm voice coils to drive for sub duty @ 400w per VC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-13-2013, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought 4 DA UM15-22 speakers for LF duty in sealed enclosures. The boxes will be in the 4cf range per driver. The total rated power required to move these things to their full potential is 3200w. But being that these things are spec'd at 2 ohms x 2 vc's per sub I am having a hard time figuring what configuration to wire them at in order to mate properly with a powerful amp. Being that each driver can be configured to have a single 1 ohm or 4 ohm load or yet two 2 ohm loads, I still need to give them an honest 400w per vc.

I can get a total load of 4ohms a couple of different ways, but I'm not happy with the available selection of amps that can output the requested power into such loads, and redundancy would be nice.

I am thinking that an EP4K would work okay, but not be fully up to the task due to its actual output being less than what the subs can handle, or should be driven by. Because I am going with a sealed box design some EQ will be required to achieve a flat response down to the lower frequencies, which translates to needing more power from the amp.

I have an ART Clean Box PRO for upscaling the signal voltage in order for it to meld well with a pro-amp before going into the BFD and being outputed into the amps input.

What would be the most cost effective manner in which to provide power to these subs at high volumes for extended periods of time? The behringer inuke 12000 would fit my needs perfectly but is not available yet. Any other amp recommendations from you experienced guys?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 943
a cv5000 would work.

each driver wired for 4 ohms.

two drivers in parallel for 2 ohms per side.

that would make available up to 5000 watts across all four drivers.

if you are afraid that is too much power, try this:

each driver wired for 4 ohms.

two drivers in series for 8 ohms per side.

that would make available up to 2200 watts across all four drivers.

http://www.cerwinvega.com/pro-audio/high-performance-amplifiers/cv-5000.html

street price is about $7-800.

a fan mod can make it quiet.

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page