Would an iNuke 1000DSP be a reasonble choice for a 2 way active speaker amp and x-over? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was looking at the specs and it really seems like quite a bargain for all it can do. It appears to be able to set up a high & low pass filter (one per channel) as well as additional peq per channel for signal shaping, not to mention reasonably powerful for daily use. Still not completely sure of what all it can do and its slopes for crossovers. Has anyone else any experience with one of these? I did just a casual search and most of the threads seem to be geared towards using the iNukes as a sub amp.

Thanks,
Bricktop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nothing quite like answering my own threads. I downloaded the iNuke SW and it appears you can set it up to have a HP/LP per channel.
Types:
Butterworth 6,12,18,24,48 dB slopes
Bessel 12, 24 dB slopes
Linkwitz-Riley 12,24,48 dB slopes

7 channels of PEQ per speaker i.e, tweeter, woofer plus a low and high shelf filter.
Delay, gain.

I think I may order one and compare it to the analog crossover with my receiver driving one of my mains. Seems a lot less money than a mini DSP and two amps.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have used my 3000DSP in exactly this way.

Worked great as a test.
post #4 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You say as a test...was there a reason you wouldn't recommend it for every day use? How was the general sound...any hiss if you were using high efficiency speakers?

Sent from my Rezound on TRON 2.1 using Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 135
How do you setup the iNuke's EQ/DSP capabilities?

Do they supply a mic?

Is it similar to using a MiniDsp & REW as to where you can measure everything and read the results in REW and
then apply those measurements to the iNukes software?
post #6 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No mic. The changes are "ideal" in that you set up the PEQs and X-overs via a pc and load them onto the iNuke. I think you may even be able to do it from the front panel. To tweak you would need to use your own mic and REW and as far as I know, REW does not interface with it yet, so trial and error.

I am not familiar with how a mini DSP is set up, but if it does interface with REW, it sounds like it may be a bit easier to dial in results.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

As a test only meant that I have a single iNuke, so I could only do the one cabinet.

Worked fine, the sound seemed OK, but I am a guy that listens to MP3s and watches MKVs, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. The cabinet I tested was fairly high efficiency, and used a horn tweeter. No hiss or noise that I noticed, but this was no critical listening session, I simply hooked up the drivers, set the cabinet on the bench, set some reasonable filters and listened to things to get an idea as to what these cabinets will sound like.

I suppose that if one had a stack of iNukes, this would work great for an active system. I have considered this route for active mains, but a stack of iNukes is not in the current budget.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am currently building new mains and only have the crossover parts for one main. I am debating the merits of going active since I am not too far into it. The iNukes seem to be a good deal, then again, the mini DSP will do two speakers per unit, plus my choice of amps. I have an old Denon 5800 that I could use for now for amplification, though not ideal, it would be interesting to see how the active crossover would sound versus the passive. Always so many options.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickTop View Post

Butterworth 6,12,18,24,48 dB slopes
Bessel 12, 24 dB slopes
Linkwitz-Riley 12,24,48 dB slopes

7 channels of PEQ per speaker i.e, tweeter, woofer plus a low and high shelf filter.
Delay, gain.

That's actually pretty useful and really all a person should need to get a cross over dialed in nicely. What are the delay increments?
post #10 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't remember what the delay increments were other than it went up to something crazy high like 300 ms.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

That's actually pretty useful and really all a person should need to get a cross over dialed in nicely. What are the delay increments?

Looks like 0.01 ms increments.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-15-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty solid DSP. The advanced plug in on the minidsp is more powerful, but this pretty much does everything someone should need IMO.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Pretty solid DSP. The advanced plug in on the minidsp is more powerful, but this pretty much does everything someone should need IMO.

Not only that, but with the MiniDsp, can it not take measurements with your mic using REW, then import the measurements into the MiniDsp and let it do its thing as far as the DSP side of things go, right?
I would imagine that this would make it much easier to EQ your speakers using the MiniDsp over the iNuke, but, I am not sure how the two would compare for setting up an active speaker. The iNuke may
win when it comes to setting up an active loudspeaker over the Minidsp.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think the inuke is better than the mini for an active speaker. I just think its got a decent feature set and can do it. The mini is still more powerful with the advanced plug in.

As for REW capability, that's not something that interests me, but might interest others. I'd prefer to do it manually.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

With regards to the MiniDsp or the iNukes, do they offer any manuals to explain how to properly setup the filters, EQ & DSP capabilities?
Tux you said that you would prefer to do the EQ/DSP thing manually....so does the iNujke or MiniDsp come with an instruction manual or set
of references that explains how to set all of this stuff up?

If so, I would imagine that it is kind of just the basics, and that a good bit knowledge about crossovers will be requited to fully dial it in,
at least that is what another forum member told me a while back.
post #16 of 19 Old 05-16-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt either comes with a manual of how to make the adjustments properly. They would come with a manual of how to adjust the dsp though. That's not hard though. Just open the software and adjust the frequency, q, and gain. Or set cross over frequencies and slopes. If doing a cross over PROPERLY you'll need to understand what you're doing, much like passive cross over design. And there's definitely no automated setup I'm aware of for this. Even if there was I wouldn't trust it. There's lots to consider.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-17-2013, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

That is what I figured, Tux. I am studying up on how to do passive cross overs, but, I am also very interested in learning more about active crossovers!
I am still gathering parts for my builds that I have been planning, and I intend on experimenting with active crossing over of my different builds. The whole
idea of being able to change and/or adjust different aspects of the crossover on the fly, just sounds really cool!

I am currently using a three Behringer EP1.500 amps for my LCRs, but I am considering selling them and going with 3 of the Behringer iNuke 1000DSP amps
so that I can do the crossovers, dsp and the actual amps themselves all in one unit.
post #18 of 19 Old 05-18-2013, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

That is what I figured, Tux. I am studying up on how to do passive cross overs, but, I am also very interested in learning more about active crossovers!

... going with 3 of the Behringer iNuke 1000DSP amps so that I can do the crossovers, dsp and the actual amps themselves all in one unit.

Oh, go with actives, it's waay easier than messing around with passives. f you are still in the learning phases, then you can really simplify things with a DSP-based active setup. For one, as you learn, you can tweak crossover settings from the PC, vs soldering and wiring, buying tons of parts, etc. and not being able to do things like adjust delay between drivers, which to me, is a critical aspect of good speaker design.

Do get REW a good mic and pre and learn how to measure and interpret the results. One must use this in a set, measure, tweak cycle to zero in on what slopes, delays and possible EQ you need to get the speakers dialed in.
post #19 of 19 Old 05-18-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

Oh, go with actives, it's waay easier than messing around with passives. f you are still in the learning phases, then you can really simplify things with a DSP-based active setup. For one, as you learn, you can tweak crossover settings from the PC, vs soldering and wiring, buying tons of parts, etc. and not being able to do things like adjust delay between drivers, which to me, is a critical aspect of good speaker design.

Do get REW a good mic and pre and learn how to measure and interpret the results. One must use this in a set, measure, tweak cycle to zero in on what slopes, delays and possible EQ you need to get the speakers dialed in.

That is the end goal. As I get more funds I do plan on buying some more gear so that I can take proper measurements. I already have a Behringer ECM8000 mic, now I just need to pick up the Behringer Xenyx 502 mic-pre-amp and a Creative Labs Sound Blast Live sound card and I will be good to go with REW.. I can't freaking wait to start building, testing, and measuring all of these projects that I have going. I have been picking up different parts as I come across really good deals here and there, and right now I do not have everything that I need to complete any builds, I do, however, have roughly 30% of everything needed for the 3 builds that I am going to do as a shootout type competition in my theater room. Things have been pretty tough financially so I will likely have to wait until the end of July when I get my semi-annual bonus to complete everything.

I must admit that of these 3 different builds that I am doing, I dread having to setup the crossovers the most. I have no experience with designing crossovers, but I do have several good friends and a few of the really nice guys here on AVS to help me with it!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page