Fisher XP-7C - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered a pair of The Fisher XP-7B spkrs from the European Exchange when I was stationed in Ethiopia in 1972. They sent XP-7C instead. One difference was the plastic grill, which I grew to like. They still look beautiful and modern (to me) after all these years. Then the switches and knobs on my Pioneer SX-990 receiver, which I got at the Pacific Exchange while stationed in Okinawa in 1971, finally got so bad I have temporarily replaced it with an Onkyo TX-8050. When choosing the receiver, I researched The Fisher XP-7C because I couldn't remember the statistics. I found this on the internet:

The Fisher XP-7
freq 30-20,000Hz
5-50 watts music power
8 ohm
40 lbs.
12" woofer 6 lbs magnet
2- 5.75" inch upper and lower mid-range
2- 3" inch tweeters
walnut cabinet
*info from Fisher handbook, 1971*

I also found comments on the internet about XP-7 speakers saying the tweeters typically went bad after a few years and have to be "capped." My question is: What does that mean? What is "capping" the tweeters? How does it become necessary? Does this have something to do with capacitors? Should I need to replace the tweeters? They look like new and I think seem to be vibrating?

After I got home in 1973 I happened to find another pair of identical XP-7C's on the clearance shelf at Sears because of minor cabinet damage, so I bought them. The four of them always sounded great together, and they still do, except now after reading the comments about the tweeters I've been listening more critically. Perhaps now I'm only convincing myself the tweeters aren't working like they used to. I do know my ears aren't working like they used to either... but I sure would like to hear any comments you all might have for me.

Here is what they look like:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

Richard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-19-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
To cap a tweeter is to put a large capacitor inline with the tweeter to protect it from accidental DC power. It's fairly common to do to expensive tweeters as insurance so to speak. The difference between a damaged tweeter and a good tweeter is not subtle. If it took hours of critical listening, then it's psychosomatic, in other words, it's in your head.
AVS Richard likes this.

YID DIY
post #3 of 4 Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

I believe you're right. And the other problems in my head are my ears. I've had tinnitus for years, more or less constant "ringing" and other noise that sometimes comes and goes. Too many concerts, headphones, automobile races, guns, power tools, motorcycles etc. without ear protection. I frequently advise young people to protect their ears to prevent damage and preserve their hearing. I think I'll get my ears tested and try to find out what and how much I can actually still hear.

As for the speakers, with a little more research I think the Fisher speakers they were referring to were the original XP-7. Those had completely different tweeters they called "fried eggs" (because of the orange colored domes, resembling egg yolks) which apparently became hard over time and stopped functioning.

Richard
post #4 of 4 Old 02-10-2014, 01:59 AM

I just finished an article on the Fisher XP-7 and its later models. You really helped me to actually figure out what the differences between the three models were as the drivers didn´t change between the later two models, but the 7c lost a little weight.  So thanks for mentioning those plastic grills, I was already desperate about how the 7c could possibly lose weight without any Driver/crossover/whatsoever changes. So again, thanks, those grills made the difference.

You are right about what you said about the tweeters. The original Xp7 has a soft dome tweeter (futuristic at the time and just invented one year earlier (1965/66), whereas the later models have two normal tweeters. You can also read my Review on the Fisher XP-7, 7b and 7C with specs and other infos, if you are still looking for some details.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page