miniDSP for Sub Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm thinking about buying a minidsp to use with my 2 Dayton HO 18s (and probably Epik subs as well). I currently use an 1124 BFD but would like the ability to EQ below 20hz, which from what I understand, the minidsp supports. On the attached graph, you can see the subs begin rolling off at 20hz (where the Epiks stop) but I get some output down to around 7hz (so I assume the Daytons are playing down to there). What I'm wondering specifically is if I can use a minidsp to add boost between 7hz-20hz to get that range more in line with the >20hz response (maybe add 5-10db boost).

Would the minidsp work for this? If so, which minidsp and plug-in do I need? The Balanced 2x4 unit with the 4 Way Advanced Plug-in?

If it matters, I have an Onkyo 818 AVR and power the Daytons with a single EP4000 (thinking about adding a 2nd at some point and bridging them).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 171
You can do it, sure. Is it a worthwhile idea? Probably not.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #3 of 10 Old 05-21-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I was thinking the ability to set individual distances for the 4 subs might help me in smoothing the overall response too. But yeah, I mostly want to get the response as flat as possible below 20hz since it looks like the Daytons are producing something down there. Maybe it's not worth the ~$200 but I'm not sure where that money would be better spent to improve acoustics in my room. Maybe I should add a second EP4000 first. And I do need to build some bass traps at some point. But tinkering with the minidsp seems like more fun.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by benunc View Post

On the attached graph, you can see the subs begin rolling off at 20hz (where the Epiks stop) but I get some output down to around 7hz (so I assume the Daytons are playing down to there).

Not necessarily. It could merely be noise from the mic, boosted by the calibration file, or the pre-amp you’re using. Not to mention, you’re talking about a broadband 10-12 dB+ boost below 20 Hz. Do your amplifiers have enough reserve capacity to handle that?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #5 of 10 Old 05-22-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post

Not necessarily. It could merely be noise from the mic, boosted by the calibration file, or the pre-amp you’re using. Not to mention, you’re talking about a broadband 10-12 dB+ boost below 20 Hz. Do your amplifiers have enough reserve capacity to handle that?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Maybe but I'm using a mic that's calibrated by cross spectrum labs down to 5hz and I've calibrated REW by running a loopback on my soundcard. When running sweeps on my Epiks alone, the response falls off at 20hz; only when running sweeps with the Daytons do I get what looks like output down to 7hz. I cut the graph off at 4hz b/c below that the line climbs back up which I know is noise or something other than sub output. I'm using a Behringer EP4000 amp now for the 2 subs (about 650W/driver) and thinking about adding another; if I add a second amp and bridge them, I should get 1900W to each driver - about twice what they are rated for - so I think I should have the power available.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-22-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Doubling the power will only get you about a 3 dB gain at best, so you’ll still be way short of what a 10-12 dB boost will eat up. Of course, that assumes you’re running things at max now; if your amps are currently loafing, then you might be okay with only the amp you currently have.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #7 of 10 Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I don't typically push the subs too hard and was thinking about adding more like 5-10dbs boost at most so was hoping I'd be ok.

Still undecided if it's worth the trouble and cost though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
post #8 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just some FYI

I built a Dual Opposed Dayton RSS460 250L box and found I had a real bad drop in response from 30Hz - somewhat similar to yours.
I used the DSP in the iNuke 6k and managed to get a flat response from 10 to 300hz - based on the mic response of the SVS AS-EQ1
I thought it really added some impact on the sub 20Hz scenes - noticeable on the WOTW Pod scene.
The iNuke however did strain on those scene at reference with the DSP enabled.
I'm waiting for my CSS mic and minidsp to arrive and will be running it with the FP10k clone I got to replace the iNuke.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno C View Post

Just some FYI

I built a Dual Opposed Dayton RSS460 250L box and found I had a real bad drop in response from 30Hz - somewhat similar to yours.
I used the DSP in the iNuke 6k and managed to get a flat response from 10 to 300hz - based on the mic response of the SVS AS-EQ1
I thought it really added some impact on the sub 20Hz scenes - noticeable on the WOTW Pod scene.
The iNuke however did strain on those scene at reference with the DSP enabled.
I'm waiting for my CSS mic and minidsp to arrive and will be running it with the FP10k clone I got to replace the iNuke.

I thought the iNuke rolled off around 20hz and didn't allow EQ below that.

I've held off on getting the miniDSP. The EP4000 is still going for around $380 so waiting on that to get closer to the $275 I paid earlier this year before pulling the trigger on another and the miniDSP. I recently adjusted the sub distance on my AVR and improved response around the XO. One of these days, I'm going to try moving one of the subs to a new location too.

Interested to hear how your experience with the miniDSP and new amp works out.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by benunc View Post

I thought the iNuke rolled off around 20hz and didn't allow EQ below that.

lilmike measured his iNuke NU3000 DSP -3db at 5hz http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/21-confused-how-i-bottomed-my-sub/, and the NU6000 looks like it is down 2db at 10hz http://forum.speakerplans.com/behringer-inuke-nu6000-vs-kam-kxd7200-bench-tested_topic69202_page2.html

The lowest setting for the EQ point is 20hz, but the curves have been tested to work below that point. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/37864-behringer-inuke-class-d-amps-nu1000-nu1000dsp-nu3000-nu3000dsp-nu6000-nu6000dsp-nu4-6000-a-25.html
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page