Speaker grill construction methods and types - what's your favorite? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Guys,

I've been experimenting with various methods of construction speaker grills and attaching the cloth. I was curious as to what you all were doing as it's always nice to share ideas.

Key questions:

What material are you using for your frame(s)?

What material are you using for grill cloth?

How are you attaching the cloth to the frame?

How are you attaching the frame to the speaker?

Any special touches, finishes, or edges you apply? Lessons learned?

As always, pics are a bonus. smile.gif

I'll start first:

I'm currently using ripped 1x2 strips of MDF joined via glue, pocket screws, and/or finishing nails together for a frame. I've also used pine and plywood, but I found that MDF was/is always straight and pretty easy to work with. I like to paint the frames black so that they can not be seen underneath the material I'm using as a cloth. I like to use Joann fabric black speaker cloth but lately I've been disappointed with the quality of the material. Lately it seems thinner and more opaque than normal and seems to tear easily. Looking for nice DIY alternatives here.

I've been using simple staples to attach the cloth the frame but looking for alternatives here as well. I've seen some here mention they're using a splining method (using screen tight I believe) to attach the cloth which intrigues me. I saw lowes sells the spline in 5/16" size and was curious if I could just channel out some space using my router and a 5/16" straight bit to achieve the same effect.

I've been using 1/2" diameter x 0.2" thickness neo magnets to attach the grills to the speaker. I simply drill pilot holes in the frames/speaker and recess a 0.2" hole into both and secure in place with gorilla glue or PL.

I also like to put a 45 degree/chamfered edge on my grills - personal preference but I like the look!

Some random pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

I like using a waffle style metal grill wrapped in cloth. These are pictures from my sub build, 18" grill on a 15" sub.

Started on my grills, fairly simple and they look decent!

Dayton 18" Grill

Grill Cloth

IMG_20120610_200141.jpg

Remove the vinyl ring and place grill upside down on the cloth. I used the cardboard box as my cutting template, it was around 20x20".

IMG_20120610_200631.jpg

Pull the cloth while placing the vinyl ring back on.

IMG_20120610_201355.jpg

Trim excess.

IMG_20120610_202024.jpg

Grill is done. It looks a lot nicer in person and darker, the flash makes it look brighter.

IMG_20120610_202224.jpg

I did the same thing on my SEOS Tempest speakers but used the 12" grill.

post #3 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I hate making grills, especially putting the fabric on. I have about 6 completed grill frames as old as 6 years still waiting for cloth. When I do finish them, I use the grill cloth from Parts Express or Madisound. It is stretchy enough to make it easy to get tight and still not bad for transmitting sound.

I have done the spline method a couple times and my others have been done using spray contact cement. The spline method is nice in that if you screw up, you can just pull out the spline and start over. I originally got the contact cement method I use from Phil Bamberg of Bamberg Audio. Done properly, it looks the best to me but it is a pain in the butt, especially if you screw up and end of having try to rip the fabric off the grill.
post #4 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post

I hate making grills, especially putting the fabric on. I have about 6 completed grill frames as old as 6 years still waiting for cloth. When I do finish them, I use the grill cloth from Parts Express or Madisound. It is stretchy enough to make it easy to get tight and still not bad for transmitting sound.

I have done the spline method a couple times and my others have been done using spray contact cement. The spline method is nice in that if you screw up, you can just pull out the spline and start over. I originally got the contact cement method I use from Phil Bamberg of Bamberg Audio. Done properly, it looks the best to me but it is a pain in the butt, especially if you screw up and end of having try to rip the fabric off the grill.

Care to elaborate on the contact cement method? I assume similar to hot glue?
post #5 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I like using a waffle style metal grill wrapped in cloth. These are pictures from my sub build, 18" grill on a 15" sub.

Started on my grills, fairly simple and they look decent!
Dayton 18" Grill
Grill Cloth
IMG_20120610_200141.jpg

Remove the vinyl ring and place grill upside down on the cloth. I used the cardboard box as my cutting template, it was around 20x20".
IMG_20120610_200631.jpg

Pull the cloth while placing the vinyl ring back on.
IMG_20120610_201355.jpg

Trim excess.
IMG_20120610_202024.jpg

Grill is done. It looks a lot nicer in person and darker, the flash makes it look brighter.
IMG_20120610_202224.jpg

I did the same thing on my SEOS Tempest speakers but used the 12" grill.

Thanks for sharing! Quick thought - have you explored any ways to attach those grills without using the external clips? They look nice wrapped in the fabric for sure.
post #6 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I had thought of using a washer and screw inside the vinyl ring but seemed easier to use clips. One day I might experiment with that.
post #7 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Care to elaborate on the contact cement method? I assume similar to hot glue?

Here is a link to the article on the way back machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20080218213548/http://www.audiodiycentral.com/nt_grills.shtml
post #8 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've never done this, but I always understood the gospel on grills to be that it's the frame that creates opportunities for diffraction and that's what's bad about them. So why not eliminate the frame?

- Start with a fairly rigid metal grill material, there are lots of places to buy expanded or perforated metal of various types.
- Pick one that has a high percentage of open space. Cut to shape.
- Apply cloth with contact adhesive, wrap slightly around edges and glue well, trim excess neatly.
- Attach with cylindrical magnets - not the little discs PE sells, but the bigger ones you can buy from various science geek hobby sites. Long enough so the magnet acts as a post or standoff. Of course you'd need to have buried magnets in your baffle first, or have suitably positioned screws. I tend toward removable baffles myself, so win there.

Dunno if the benefits are really there for waveguide speakers, and of course it's a totally retarded idea for subs. biggrin.gif Just thought I'd toss it out there.
post #9 of 48 Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I like how eD made eDogg's with the spline method. It looks as if it is a single piece of MDF with a cutout, and a roundover with magnets. I get all messy with glue. Same tight finish like Gorilla's, but with less glueing.
post #10 of 48 Old 05-21-2013, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
-
post #11 of 48 Old 05-21-2013, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post

Here is a link to the article on the way back machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20080218213548/http://www.audiodiycentral.com/nt_grills.shtml

Thanks for the info. There is a lot going on there, I may have to read that a few times to fully comprehend. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by antisuck View Post

I've never done this, but I always understood the gospel on grills to be that it's the frame that creates opportunities for diffraction and that's what's bad about them. So why not eliminate the frame?

- Start with a fairly rigid metal grill material, there are lots of places to buy expanded or perforated metal of various types.
- Pick one that has a high percentage of open space. Cut to shape.
- Apply cloth with contact adhesive, wrap slightly around edges and glue well, trim excess neatly.
- Attach with cylindrical magnets - not the little discs PE sells, but the bigger ones you can buy from various science geek hobby sites. Long enough so the magnet acts as a post or standoff. Of course you'd need to have buried magnets in your baffle first, or have suitably positioned screws. I tend toward removable baffles myself, so win there.

Dunno if the benefits are really there for waveguide speakers, and of course it's a totally retarded idea for subs. biggrin.gif Just thought I'd toss it out there.

Interesting. I've seen some commercial manufacturers use something like the thickness of a screen door material or very thin metal perforated sheet. I agree though generally the thinner the better when it comes to minimizing diffraction as well as appearance. I would experiment with thinner stock as long as it's still rigid enough to keep the material from wrinkling when flexed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

I like how eD made eDogg's with the spline method. It looks as if it is a single piece of MDF with a cutout, and a roundover with magnets. I get all messy with glue. Same tight finish like Gorilla's, but with less glueing.

Any chance you've got any links to pics here? I'm very interesting in splining myself and about to start experimenting.
post #12 of 48 Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Great thread yet again Rillz!

Would love to have single point of reference for various grilling techniques! Maybe reference this thread in your DIY FAQ thread when it's all said and done?!?!

Quote:

Any chance you've got any links to pics here? I'm very interesting in splining myself and about to start experimenting.

edoggs Grills.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391395/edoggs-dual-lms-aiy-assemble-it-yourself-build/100_100#post_21696787

He actually posted up some closeup shots somewhere (maybe he PM'd me?), but I can't find them at the moment...

I was wanting to look into this approach (except for using magnets) because I really like how clean it makes the edgework. It kinda reminds me of what the car audio guys would do when they would wrap a box and mount a face plate over where all of the edges are folded to give it a very clean look. However, using a similar approach to achieve the same flush look seems like it would be much more involved.

I haven't found a write up the method yet.

post #13 of 48 Old 05-21-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Great thread yet again Rillz! Would love to have single point of reference for various grilling techniques! Maybe reference this thread in your DIY FAQ thread when it's all said and done?!?!

That's the plan. smile.gif

Quote:

edoggs Grills.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391395/edoggs-dual-lms-aiy-assemble-it-yourself-build/100_100#post_21696787

He actually posted up some closeup shots somewhere (maybe he PM'd me?), but I can't find them at the moment...

I was wanting to look into this approach (except for using magnets) because I really like how clean it makes the edgework. It kinda reminds me of what the car audio guys would do when they would wrap a box and mount a face plate over where all of the edges are folded to give it a very clean look. However, using a similar approach to achieve the same flush look seems like it would be much more involved.

I haven't found a write up the method yet.

Thanks! Those do look really nice. I'm going to do some experimenting soon shortly with a 5/16" straight bit, my router table, and some screen spline. biggrin.gif
post #14 of 48 Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Gorilla83, those grills turned out great. Did you cover the magnets in the baffle with anything?

I bought magnets from PE to build grills for my 2 subs but haven't gotten around to it yet. The magnets are silver so I'd like to cover them to blend in with the black subs...ideally so it isn't apparent there are magnets on the baffle at all.
post #15 of 48 Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benunc View Post

Gorilla83, those grills turned out great. Did you cover the magnets in the baffle with anything?

I bought magnets from PE to build grills for my 2 subs but haven't gotten around to it yet. The magnets are silver so I'd like to cover them to blend in with the black subs...ideally so it isn't apparent there are magnets on the baffle at all.

Thanks! I'm always looking for options to improve. I have mine (magnets) painted black and I even have some covered with a small circle of black felt. cool.gif I get mine from magnet4sale.com which has some killer pricing.
post #16 of 48 Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks! I'm always looking for options to improve. I have mine (magnets) painted black and I even have some covered with a small circle of black felt. cool.gif I get mine from magnet4sale.com which has some killer pricing.

Wish I'd have known about that magnet site - couldn't gotten them for a third of what I paid.

I was thinking I might try putting a thin layer of glue over the magnet, sand it down, and then paint over with Duratex to hopefully hide the magnet.
post #17 of 48 Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benunc View Post

Wish I'd have known about that magnet site - couldn't gotten them for a third of what I paid.

I was thinking I might try putting a thin layer of glue over the magnet, sand it down, and then paint over with Duratex to hopefully hide the magnet.

I've used regular drywall compound to cover the indents from the magnets without issue as well. I was worried that the magnets might cause the filler to crack at some point once they've been painted but they've been good so far.
post #18 of 48 Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I've used regular drywall compound to cover the indents from the magnets without issue as well. I was worried that the magnets might cause the filler to crack at some point once they've been painted but they've been good so far.

Good to know. I'd thought about using some spackle I have but had similar fears about it cracking due to the magnets.
post #19 of 48 Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You can find hi-powered magnets at Home Depot or Parts Express... I think they were a couple of dollars for a packet of 10...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #20 of 48 Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bump for more input. Picked up some supplies to start experimenting with the spline this weekend. cool.gif
post #21 of 48 Old 05-23-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Dude, how do you find the time... I thought I was going to have all day tomorrow to play in the HT, but found out that the wifey has the day off too...

post #22 of 48 Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I know what you mean... Everytime I have time, my wife finds something for me to do... like replace the broken light fixture in the kitchen, or fix the flat tire on the car, or replace the stove.... I can never get anything done on my own.
mad.gif

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #23 of 48 Old 05-23-2013, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Based on the picture that was posted of the Dayton 18" grill it doesn't appear to have any kind of solid metal ring around the outside edge (it appears to only be vinyl around the outer edge). According to Parts Express the Peavey 18" grill has a solid metal ring wrapped in rubber around the outside edge. I am going to try to attach one to my sub using some .5" diameter x .5" tall black neodymium magnets. I just need to get the sub first...
post #24 of 48 Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dude, how do you find the time... I thought I was going to have all day tomorrow to play in the HT, but found out that the wifey has the day off too...

It helps that wifey wakes up a few hours later than I do on the weekends. During the week there isn't a whole lot of time to get much done though.
post #25 of 48 Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Here's a link to the grill I mentioned using the spline:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391395/edoggs-dual-lms-aiy-assemble-it-yourself-build
post #26 of 48 Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

Here's a link to the grill I mentioned using the spline:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391395/edoggs-dual-lms-aiy-assemble-it-yourself-build

Thanks Doug!

Did some experimenting of my own this past weekend. Wound up using an 1/8" cut on my router table and a .140 spline. Haven't wrapped them yet but seems to work/fit quite well:

post #27 of 48 Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM

Liked: 12
Grill made out of wood, rare earth magnets under the veneer of the speaker and another set in the grill. They stay put pretty good. smile.gif I got mine from EBay

Scroll down to my IB.
IBmanifold/URL]
post #28 of 48 Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Doug!

Did some experimenting of my own this past weekend. Wound up using an 1/8" cut on my router table and a .140 spline. Haven't wrapped them yet but seems to work/fit quite well:

How'd it go? I'm trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the cloth sticking out after the spline is installed. I am also thinking that the MDF might need some sort of sealer so it doesn't get warpy with humidity.
post #29 of 48 Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They came together quite well. I simply trimmed the fabric with a fabric wheel and a straight edge right outside the edge of the spline. I used an 1/8" cut and .140 screen spline.

I used a single piece of 1/2" MDF and put a chamfer edge on all side. I sunk in 1/2 x 0.2" neo magnets as well.

post #30 of 48 Old 06-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Those look great, I may try that method in the future.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page