Multiple 18" Sealed Subs - Mal-X Gen II Driver + driver X - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-21-2013, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I have a conundrum, looking for another 18" driver to pair with my existing Mal-X driver. Current plan calls for two enclosures, 20" W x 36" H x 16.5" D to replace the current 24" x 24" x 24" cube I am using for my Mal-X driver (spouse hates how far the current sub projects to far into the room, since I will be building one new box just as well build two).

Both the Dayton Audio and SI drivers model well in the enclosure, but with their limited excursion leave a lot of the mal-x's performace on the table. Per winISD, the mal-x can take 2000W/4ohms to reach Xmax (with a 5 Hz HPF second order BW to mimic rolloff from signal chain) with an output of 111.346 dB at 20 Hz. In contrast, the Dayton Audio RSS460HO-18 reaches 20 mm cone excursion with 750W/4 ohms at 106.98 dB at 20 Hz. There is a similar loss across the entire audio range due to having roughly half the excursion limits.

Both enclosures have similar Qtc (.673 vs .682). Sorry for lack of graphs but am posting from a cell phone. The TC Sounds and RE XXX drivers are out of my price range of $400-500.

Spent 4 hours searching for 18" drivers on the net, many are "not available" or are designed for car spl competition and not HT/music performance. Room is right at 5,000 cu ft so plan to have a total of 4 subs in the end. Use - Primarily music (80%) with remainder HT watching action type movies on front projector based system. Main speakers are upgraded 4 Pi's. Have a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and miniDSP units for eq. Will need sub amp, leaning towards a QSC PL340 or Crest CA12. I earn my living by producing intellectual property, so I have zero desire to support knockoffs or clones (I do not have any issue with persons who go that route but am willing to spend more and potentially get less. I do it all the time here in Cambodia by ordering movies from the US vice paying $3 for bootleg copies of movies at local vendors).

Thanks for any suggestions!

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How about the UXL-18 from mach 5. I know the website says out of stock, but the lead time may be very reasonable. They are very responsive to emails.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-21-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thanks for responding.

The UXL-18 was my first choice, I filled out the contact form on the web asking about the driver but could not submit as I kept getting an error message. This is a common problem when using an ISP in Cambodia, I assume China launches a lot of their cyber intrusions from here. I did model using two 15" SI drivers in the same enclosure, was actually pretty close to the Mal-X. When factor in real world power is probably close enough. Another option I thought of was running two Dayton/SO 18's off one channel of either the Crest CA12 or the QSC PL340, both are rated (650/8 ohm and 800/8 ohm) to put out about the same amount of power per channel as two of these drivers can take in the planned enclosure. Obviously real world power output would be less, but 8 ohms is an easy load for the amplifier. Three subs would be better than 2 for smoothing room induced response anomalies.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page