post #31 of 60 Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Oh... I want one.

I would love one of those.

I just bought a sheet if 3/4" MDF and had HD rip it into 24" sheets. I was jealous how easy to do that on the panel saw.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A panel saw is nice if you work with a lot of sheet goods but for 95+%, it takes up way too much space. That's what makes the Festool (or similar) so nice. Having owned one for several years, I can tell you that a dust collection system (like the festool or fein vacs) make the usability increase 10x. Cutting on 2" foam, I have almost *NO* cleanup. The autostart function for the vacs makes it that much easier to use. I just with the manufacturers would get together and standardize on some hose sizes.

If there was such a thing as usable dust collection for a sliding compond miter saw, my garage would be so much cleaner.... tongue.gif
post #33 of 60 Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Get it and don't look back. More accurate than a table saw, not to mention much easier. Their miter saw and impact driver are equally awesome. I won't hesitate buying anything they make. Also if you want a sander, theirs is the one to get. The quality of the finish is incomparable to any other RO sander.
post #34 of 60 Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have the EZSmart track saw and have used the festool quite a bit as well as a carpenter friend of mine has one. The Festool is very nice, though pricy. I normally use mine for breaking down sheet goods but do most of my final cuts on the table saw so the EZ Smart is more than adequate.

The track saws are generally safer than a tablesaw and can give you straighter cuts on long rips if your skills on the tablesaw aren't that great.

The biggest downside to the track saws is that the while the cuts are very straight, the dimensional accuracy is limited to how accurately you can measure, mark and line up the saw. When you have to make cut multiple pieces that are the same size it can be done with a track saw but it is slower than on a tablesaw.

I think that a tracksaw is a good addition to a well equipped shop and I see it as a good compliment to a well set up table saw but not a replacement.
post #35 of 60 Old 07-31-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought the Dewalt track saw, but haven't put it to use yet. I had no idea dust collection fittings were going to be such a PITA.. seems there is no standard.

Anyway, I ordered this from amazon and it fits the dewalt at one end and the other end fits into my 2.25?" shop vac.

The hose is supposed to fit the Festool as well (supposedly the exact same hose), but it's a lot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AV78B/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #36 of 60 Old 08-17-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 773
I think I decided to stick with a circular saw and a flat edge and a couple clamps. I am cheap biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #37 of 60 Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I think I decided to stick with a circular saw and a flat edge and a couple clamps. I am cheap biggrin.gif

You think you made a decision? confused.gif

Also, thats the route I'm using for now. I made a 4' sledge out of some plywood scraps, but it bowed up since creation. I really need to find a more suitable straight edge...
post #38 of 60 Old 08-18-2013, 12:17 AM

If you're sticking to that then there are some (relatively) inexpensive aluminum guides just for that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
post #39 of 60 Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I understand the cost but the Festools will last and last. Also, you can take a lot of my tools but don't take my Festool saw with multiple size rails. If I had to choose between my table saw with sliding table wing or the Festool...well I'd have to think about it, hard. I've spent way too much money on Festool tools but as a DIYer, I'm able to pack up tools and build just about anything at my parents house. I plan to live a few more decades and I'm glad I made the investment in Festool as I will have use of them for a long time. Better results and much less frustration than what I had before...you know, fighting with straight edge guides.
post #40 of 60 Old 08-18-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 199
And meant to add the safety benefits as a Festool saw with track is much safer than a circular side against a straight edge, especially when cutting hard wood(built in splitter). And if you have the vac, the dust collection system is great and besides being cleaner it is also safer (dust in lungs), especially if cutting MDF.
post #41 of 60 Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I understand the cost but the Festools will last and last. Also, you can take a lot of my tools but don't take my Festool saw with multiple size rails. If I had to choose between my table saw with sliding table wing or the Festool...well I'd have to think about it, hard. I've spent way too much money on Festool tools but as a DIYer, I'm able to pack up tools and build just about anything at my parents house. I plan to live a few more decades and I'm glad I made the investment in Festool as I will have use of them for a long time. Better results and much less frustration than what I had before...you know, fighting with straight edge guides.

I agree, I have many of them and won't trade them for anything. Plus they aren't made in china! One of the very few left.

Also, once you get used to the track saw it is quite fast, with nicer cuts than a table saw. And you can use the tracks with their routers and jigsaws.
post #42 of 60 Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 PM
KOA
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I just bought the Makita since it was on sale and free shipping. Just can't find deals in or to Hawaii on Festool products. One thing I think I could add is check out the CleanStream filters for your vacs. Super easy to clean, can even wash them and they are HEPA . They will last a long time which makes them well worth the extra cost of about $30.

http://www.cleanstream.com/products/landing_shopvac_genie.html
post #43 of 60 Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Get a dust separator and your filters will last much longer. http://www.woodcraft.com/category/4/1001104/2021015/Oneida%20Air%20Systems%20Dust%20Deputy.aspx

Mike
post #44 of 60 Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post

I just bought the Makita since it was on sale and free shipping. Just can't find deals in or to Hawaii on Festool products. One thing I think I could add is check out the CleanStream filters for your vacs. Super easy to clean, can even wash them and they are HEPA . They will last a long time which makes them well worth the extra cost of about $30.

+1 I just bought the makita as well. I looked at the festool but I couldn't pass on the price of the makita.

post #45 of 60 Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 376
The makita is nice. Festool is good if you're buying into the festool system. I wouldn't get any other brands.
post #46 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 109
BEWARE: I've mentioned it on a couple of other threads too at this point, but Amazon has a stop-ship on the makita kit with the guide rail and the rail by itself because of the damaged-in-shipping fiasco that I had with them two weeks ago. Their page shows "item under review" for both products currently. The issue is that they shipped the saw in it's plastic carrying box with no other packaging around it! I had the first kit arrive two Thursdays ago covered with shipping stickers and tape and it was pretty well scratched up. The guide rail, which ships in it's own box, had dings on the end of the aluminum from having been kicked around. After an angry phone call to Amazon, they rush-shipped a replacement kit to me for delivery on that Saturday. I stressed the importance of them packaging the saw/box in another shipping box to prevent damage, but alas, I was talking to someone in India.
Saturday came and the delivery was made by Fedex this time instead of UPS. That kit was way more beat up than the first one and the plastic Makita case was actually cracked in several places. I nearly blew my top. They shipped it exactly the same way as the first time. After another call to Amazon, and deciding I wasn't going to wait and risk it all over again, I ended up keeping the undamaged rail from Saturday's shipment and keeping the saw/box from Thursday's shipment as it was in better shape than the second. Amazon gave me a healthy credit back for my purchase because of the trouble and after spending 40 minutes with some WD-40 removing sticker and tape gunk from the Makita box, it looks almost new. I returned the other two pieces.
I've only used the saw for a couple of short cuts so far, but it is Awesome!

By the way, Home Depot has the Makita kit with the guide rail on sale ending today for $319.99, the lowest price I've ever seen on it. I don't know if HD will ship it properly though, so YMMV.
post #47 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

They shipped mine the same way. Fortunately, it made it unscathed. I was astounded when I opened my door to see a makita work box just sitting there with some packing stickers on it.
post #48 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

It's hard to find deals on Festool anywhere. I assume the set their prices instead of the individual dealers.
post #49 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post

It's hard to find deals on Festool anywhere. I assume the set their prices instead of the individual dealers.
Nope, it's set by Festool, and if dealers violate their pricing agreement, they will no longer be a dealer.

Mike
post #50 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2 View Post

Nope, it's set by Festool, and if dealers violate their pricing agreement, they will no longer be a dealer.

Yep. You said it better than I
post #51 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 AM
KOA
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
In Hawaii, there's really only Woodcraft that carries Festool. So $585. plus tax. I actually bought the Makita from Amazon for $268., no tax and free shipping. The kit with the guide was not available. It arrived in a cardboard box with a little paper padding and seems fine. The Makita container did have some weird stickers, but I don't think they were shipping stickers, the box and saw seem in perfect shape. It doesn't seem like it was a returned unit. Home Depot would not even ship the saw with the guide to Hawaii so the $320. plus tax deal was not an option for me. Home Depot would ship just the 55" track to Hawaii for free, which makes no sense to me, so I bought the track from them. They priced matched Amazon plus 10% off, so got the track for $85 with the tax. So ended up paying about $350. for the setup which is about $20. more than the HD deal at the moment, and about $260. less than the Festool.

I noticed that the lock that prevents the Makita from tipping over when doing a bevel cut does not lock flat to the guide, there is some play up and down so you still need to hold the saw base flat to the guide. There is no adjustment to make it tighter. Also someone posted on another forum to do the initial cut of the guide edge on some scrap lumber rather than unsupported in the air and you will get a cleaner edge to it which makes sense to me. Also enter and especially exit the work at full ramped up speed before allowing the saw to brake.

I have quite a few of the Makita LXT line of cordless. I am aware of the battery issues on the internet, but have had no problems. One tool that stands out is their brushless impact driver LXDT06. This one is the only impact driver (other than their low profile right angle one) made in Japan. Their LED lights are also very good. HD has always price matched plus 10% off online with Amazon, even though that's not their policy. Sometimes I need to call back or ask to speak with a supervisor.

Seems funny discussing tools here at AVS.
post #52 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

^^^it is kinda funny discussing tools here, but it's nice to know what people using to build their projects. If it were not for this thread I would have never even heard of a track saw. It's going to make my life easier!

post #53 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have quite a few of the Makita LXT line of cordless. I am aware of the battery issues on the internet, but have had no problems. One tool that stands out is their brushless impact driver LXDT06. This one is the only impact driver (other than their low profile right angle one) made in Japan. Their LED lights are also very good. HD has always price matched plus 10% off online with Amazon, even though that's not their policy. Sometimes I need to call back or ask to speak with a supervisor.

Seems funny discussing tools here at AVS.

Oh man, the Makita impact driver. Can I tell you how much I use that thing? So awesome.
post #54 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Oh man, the Makita impact driver. Can I tell you how much I use that thing? So awesome.

LOL. That's my go to tool. I use it for everything, even replacing my hammer at times. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #55 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

LOL. That's my go to tool. I use it for everything, even replacing my hammer at times. biggrin.gif

Exactly. Best driver I have ever owned! Some people harp on the brushless models but mine have been awesome! After owning the impact, I can never go back to a regular drill/driver.
post #56 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

Exactly. Best driver I have ever owned! Some people harp on the brushless models but mine have been awesome! After owning the impact, I can never go back to a regular drill/driver.

The only time I actually use the drill is if there is a "drill bit" in it, everything else I use the impact. The impact works great for driving 3" screws and does it with out stripping. All of my subs use the impact for about everything too. The job site can get quite noisy at times!

post #57 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

The only time I actually use the drill is if there is a "drill bit" in it, everything else I use the impact. The impact works great for driving 3" screws and does it with out stripping. All of my subs use the impact for about everything too. The job site can get quite noisy at times!

Exactly, same here about the drill. What I meant was that I would never go back to using a regular drill for driving screws, etc. anymore.
On the topic of screws, I'm only using these from now on! Spax with torx heads. I started using them last summer and they are fantastic! And....German designed, made in the US.
post #58 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Those are nice. Friggen kreg pocket jig uses square heads... i have no love for those. bits get stuck constantly.
post #59 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

I hear you about the square heads. I never have a problem with stripping the torx spax screws. And, every box comes with a new bit too.
post #60 of 60 Old 01-31-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

I hear you about the square heads. I never have a problem with stripping the torx spax screws. And, every box comes with a new bit too.

Yeah, I have a bunch of boxes of them I keep handy. Good stuff.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page