Anyone use the Festool TS55 REQ Track Saw? - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 59Likes
post #91 of 382 Unread 09-26-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
That turned out really nice! Mind telling what you got out of it? Really modern yet not overly finished which worked well.

Did you see something similar or design it yourself?

......Your table just really reminded me of staying the night over at his house and seeing all the random carvings/designs.
That's very kind of you, thank you.

Designed it myself. I like cantilevered designs in architecture, so I came up with this.

It was a little bit damaged, so it went for $500.....if I was to make one to actually sell, it'd have to be $2500-$3000 to justify my time and materials (nearly 2 sheets of ply in it)

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Glacial paced construction Since 2009
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 382 Unread 09-26-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post
That's very kind of you, thank you.

Designed it myself. I like cantilevered designs in architecture, so I came up with this.

It was a little bit damaged, so it went for $500.....if I was to make one to actually sell, it'd have to be $2500-$3000 to justify my time and materials (nearly 2 sheets of ply in it)
You're welcome by all means. I went to school for architectural design and civil engineering so can appreciate the cantilever approach which I really like too. Every time I see a clever cantilever design it reminds me of Frank Lloyd Wright and his seamless use of floating spaces.
Elill likes this.
post #93 of 382 Unread 09-27-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Correct, the Dewalt has the knife as well.
What is the benefit of a "knife"?
post #94 of 382 Unread 09-27-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
What is the benefit of a "knife"?

the riving knife keeps the material you just cut from binding up on the blade. Mostly needed when cutting solid wood. not as much with ply and mdf
popalock likes this.

Last edited by brian6751; 09-27-2014 at 11:45 AM.
post #95 of 382 Unread 09-27-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 1501
Why would you use a track saw on hardwood ?
post #96 of 382 Unread 09-27-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Why would you use a track saw on hardwood ?
The saw itself operates just like any other circular saw except has a plunge option so without the track it can double as a regular saw if one needs it to.
post #97 of 382 Unread 09-27-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I guess I'm just assuming people cutting hard wood have a table saw.
post #98 of 382 Unread 09-27-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
the riving knife keeps the material you just cut from binding up on the blade. Mostly needed when cutting hard wood. not as much with ply and mdf
Quote:

I think the above is causing the confusion.

Hardwood is normally ply and special boards where as the above poster implied that ply wasn't generally a hardwood when it's normally a hardwood.

Construction sticks are generally pine a soft wood and not really placed on table saws very often other than to rip.

The track saw's major usage will be with either soft or hard sheet wood that will make it easier for one person to cut with the track instead of a table saw.

Pop wants to use the saw for both stick and sheet goods which is perfectly fine.

Maybe that helped clear up some of the confusion.

Hard wood as in flooring is generally cut with a chop or mitre saw. Just had to throw that out there lol
popalock likes this.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 09-27-2014 at 11:30 AM.
post #99 of 382 Unread 09-27-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I should have said handy when ripping solid wood. Fixed it
audiovideoholic likes this.
post #100 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 174
If I could afford a Festool track saw, I would probably already own one, however, as I have mentioned before, building a pair of tables, one behind my table saw, and one beside, makes cutting just about anything, easy as pie, even full sized 4 x 8 sheets of ply. Yes, it takes up a lot of space, but I have mine built on rollers, so they can be tucked away after use. My trusty old (really old!) Black & Deck contractors' table saw is working like new, and being that I have less than $175 in the entire setup, makes it a nice budget setup that can cut just as accurately as any track saws .
post #101 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Does anyone have any experience with the Eureka Zone track system? Looks like a decent alternative and works with your existing saw. I bought their edge guide to help me rip a dozen sheets of plywood next week but I haven't set it up yet. Doesn't hurt that it only costs $99. The edge guide is nice because you can rip multiple pieces exactly the same width. Can you can do that with a track saw?

My curved front ported Classix II

"I'm not happy unless it costs twice as much and requires three times the work."
post #102 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Eureka Zone track system? Looks like a decent alternative and works with your existing saw. I bought their edge guide to help me rip a dozen sheets of plywood next week but I haven't set it up yet. Doesn't hurt that it only costs $99. The edge guide is nice because you can rip multiple pieces exactly the same width. Can you can do that with a track saw?
What's your question exactly? Do you mean can one use a guide with track saws?
post #103 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So just for clarity this festool is basically the best option under $750?
post #104 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So just for clarity this festool is basically the best option under $750?
Which one? There are a couple and pricing varies and tracks/accessories vary too.

If you want a saw that can build a system of accessories around then yes a festool in general would be considered the best but that doesn't mean one should buy it. If one just needs the saw and a track or two then many systems can be highly considered over the festool based on price and the users' needs.

But all that said, I would rank it as the best overall saw in its category and has other great things going for it other than just a track. I still bought the dewalt for my own reasons. And I've been in the construction business for 20 years in one form or another while also building things for myself and others too.
post #105 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use my TS75 for cutting 60mm thick Australian Hardwood slabs e.g. spotted gum and iron bark. These are amongst the hardest timbers on the planet. It cuts them cleanly, quickly and with not stress. The Makita I borrowed didn't like his work at all, it was slow and the cut wasn't nearly as clean.

I don't have room for a table saw, no do I want one. Everything I need to do for furniture making I can do with the TS75 or a bandsaw (which I don't currently own - next item on the shopping list)

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
post #106 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
What's your question exactly? Do you mean can one use a guide with track saws?
Sorry for not being clear. Basically, can you set up a track saw to do repeatable cuts? As an example, you want to rip a sheet of plywood into several 1' x 8' pieces. Do you manually measure off each 1' section and line up the track saw for each cut or is there something like a stop you can set so all you have to do is slide the track over without measuring?

My curved front ported Classix II

"I'm not happy unless it costs twice as much and requires three times the work."
post #107 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for not being clear. Basically, can you set up a track saw to do repeatable cuts? As an example, you want to rip a sheet of plywood into several 1' x 8' pieces. Do you manually measure off each 1' section and line up the track saw for each cut or is there something like a stop you can set so all you have to do is slide the track over without measuring?
I would imagine with the festool systems there is a easy way to do this, yes but that would require buying more of their accessories.

A jig to use with the track to do this would be very simple too. Would just need two jigs/stops, one for each end of the track. Another way to do it with just the track would be to cut more than one at a time.

I haven't looked to see if the dewalt accepts a sliding guide like most all regular circular saws but wouldn't surprise me if all the track saws were able to attach some sort of guide.

The way I would do it with my dewalt would be to just measure, place track, and rip- then repeat with how ever many other sheets need to be ripped. The process of measuring, marking, and laying the track down only takes 30 seconds or so from start to locking the track down in place and don't have to worry about the edge opposite of my cut being perfect from the factory even though they are normally rather perfect.
post #108 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There is no simple way to do this. I just set my combination square and measure it each time. I have seen some DIY jigs for this, check out Festool Owners Group Forum

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
post #109 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

I don't have room for a table saw, no do I want one. Everything I need to do for furniture making I can do with the TS75 or a bandsaw (which I don't currently own - next item on the shopping list)
That was my last woodworking purchase and had been telling myself I was going to get it for over a year. Now that I have it I never use it lol.
post #110 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That was my last woodworking purchase and had been telling myself I was going to get it for over a year. Now that I have it I never use it lol.
Ha! LOL, fair enough.

I will use it a lot. I have a massive pile of timber that I want to cut into veneers. My list of projects is about 10-15 items of furniture and each plan needs curves and veneers

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
post #111 of 382 Unread 09-28-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw a really cool setup on YouTube with the track saw and it used quite a few accessories. It was a carpenter on the job site but I couldn't find it. This video will give you an idea about how so many things are possible with their tools.

Boxozaxu likes this.
post #112 of 382 Unread 09-29-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 174
So let's say you have the need to regularly rip 2ft by 8ft sections of ply off of a standard sheet, for this situation if all you are concerned with is one or two cuts of the same rip size, could you not build a DIY straight edge with clamps that has a ledge or hang off on the opposite side of the cut, similar to a track saw guide, that would serve the same basic need of making repeatable rip cuts in a sheet of plywood?
post #113 of 382 Unread 09-29-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is a DIY setup:

Boxozaxu likes this.

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
post #114 of 382 Unread 09-29-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

With a table saw you set the fence and just keep ripping.

The only problem becomes as the sheets get larger and heavier, you'll either need help, or a roller cabinet stand. A track saw is good for ripping sheet goods. If the wood is nearly full sheet sized I'd just measure each time I think. It doesn't seem that hard, and I can't think off to many reasons I'd be making a large number of identical cuts at same time.
post #115 of 382 Unread 09-29-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That Festool track saw is a top notch track saw!, especially with the suction attachment, if you do not have the room for a table saw, it's a excellent compromise, I bought the Dewalt model track saw, mostly for cutting all my medium sized plywood boards,

Even though the Festool and Dewalt are plunge style track saws, they are not particularly the best for cutting 3/4 solid hardwood, but if you have enough clamping power, and steady with it, I'm sure you can get buy, I would highly recommend looking at some of the smaller table saws that you could incorporate into your table, and could have a removable fence, only when you want to use it, I tried cutting some 3/4 oak with my track saw, but I ended up using my General cabinet saw for all solid 3/4 hardwood, as with a brand new Forest blade, I don't need to joint any edges, it's totally perfect.

Not sure if you have the ability or not, but this would be something I recommend to people that don't have room, but have a multi-purpose table that can be used if you have the ability to modify, I have done this many times, and it's great when space is a factor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	contractor saw mobile2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	285298  

Last edited by TheaterChad; 09-29-2014 at 07:43 AM.
post #116 of 382 Unread 09-30-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Granted... the Festool is probably the best designed track saw... Unfortunately, the saw and its accessories are prohibitively expensive.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #117 of 382 Unread 09-30-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Granted... the Festool is probably the best designed track saw... Unfortunately, the saw and its accessories are prohibitively expensive.
Just purchased the Makita. Festool can SUCK it!
dtsdig likes this.
post #118 of 382 Unread 09-30-2014, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1911 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Just purchased the Makita. Festool can SUCK it!

Not exactly sure why, but I find this extremely funny!....lol
Elill likes this.
post #119 of 382 Unread 10-01-2014, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Lol.
post #120 of 382 Unread 10-01-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Saw this on amazon today :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	289346  

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs