DIY Compare to ID Companies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 96
How would Erich's 4 cu.ft box , an SI 18 and Behring EP2000 compare to a Outlaw LFM-1 EX? I realize these are totally different but trying to gauge the two. It will be for a HT (50% movies, 25% gaming, 25% music) ..... roughly 5600 cu. ft opening to rest of house though through an open doorway. I'm not looking for pressurization at this volume, just some added low end.

I have been reading the forums and the general consensus is DIY can yield very good results. I have not found any direct comparisons to ID companies though.

Maybe this is to apples to oranges, but this is where I am at in my decision tree right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Yes it is apples to oranges. However, I visited a few houses with DIY speakers lately and was amazed by the quality vs what they spent. In short, if you have the time SEOS designs + Sealed Subs = incredible bang for buck. The key is "time" and not "pants on head stupid around power tools".

If you look at quite a few of the "dedicated HT builds", you will see DIY speakers all over the place. Think about it...people dropping $30k+ on a single room are going for DIY speakers.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #3 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
post #4 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
an SI will be better. But a lot of people find more enjoyment in DIY speakers, because you actually build it yourself, it gives you more satisfaction I find because you built it instead of some factory.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

an SI will be slightly better. But a lot of people find more enjoyment in DIY speakers, because you actually build it yourself, it gives you more satisfaction I find because you built it instead of some factory.

5db to 10db stronger from 25hz to 100hz is not just a little bit better.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #6 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

5db to 10db stronger from 25hz to 100hz is not just a little bit better.

true
post #7 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 96
Thank you all for the insight. Looks like it is a combination of performance, price, and a lot of pride. Factoring pride in makes the descision even harder.

Dominguez, thank you for the output traces. 10db is a pretty healthy improvement. I wonder how clean it is.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-25-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 809
this would be my rough guesstimation for comparo performane. 350 watts ported 12 inch driver, grey. 1000 watts sealed 18 inch driver, green. no eq applied to either. in the 20-30hz region, where the addition of the port helps increase spl, they might be close. otherwise, the 18 will have more potential everywhere else.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
FWIW, I have auditioned REL Gibralter G1, REL Stentor, JM Labs Electra 1000 BE, owned DefTech SC Ref, Klipsch SW112, SW115, and SUB12............ but the subs in my signature smoke em all big time.

Honestly speaking, DIY is the route to bass nirvana for a fraction of factory subs' cost.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #10 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

I wonder how clean it is.

I have 8 of the 18" SI's but was running just one for awhile while I built the rest. I still had one of my Submersives at the time and I did a ton of listening back and forth between the single SI and the Submersive. The SI sounded every bit as good/tight/clean/etc. and in a blind test I don't know if I would have been able to tell which was which.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I have 8 of the 18" SI's but was running just one for awhile while I built the rest. I still had one of my Submersives at the time and I did a ton of listening back and forth between the single SI and the Submersive. The SI sounded every bit as good/tight/clean/etc. and in a blind test I don't know if I would have been able to tell which was which.

+1. My dual SI 18s with EQ are indistinguishable from my old Submersive, and have more power. The Submersive is half the size though physically, and it is much easier to just plug and play than spending a month building a box and painting it.

The DIY flat packs are a godsend, but there was no dual opposed box for my setup, or my dimensions. (I like a tall box taking up less floor space)
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page