Lab Gruppen IPD series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I did a search of AVS and did not find any information on the new, affordable LG line (http://www.ipdseries.com/). Power for the IPD 2400 is listed as 2 x 1200/4 ohms, 2 x 800/2 ohms (bridged was not shown), freq range specified down to 2 Hz. Units include DSP, the info sheet is skimpy but shows 10 Hz on the screen. Scuttlebutt on some of the pro sound forums is a cost around $1400-1500 with June/July availability.

I am thinking this could be sweet for dual VC subs, not super high power but probably enough for a lot of different drivers.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Is this old news, or is no interested in a sub $2K LG amp with extensive DSP? The power is low for the multiple 18" sub crowd, but would seem to be great for dual SI 18" build with 1200/w per channel into 4 ohm load. If the DSP allows tinkering down to 10 Hz I may go with one despite their being cheaper options.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
post #3 of 39 Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would need a pair to power my system. I would love to have the budget for these one day. They look awesome on paper.
post #4 of 39 Old 05-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
but u could just do mini dsp with a speaker power and get 6k watts for 1650
post #5 of 39 Old 05-26-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for responding, I appreciate all feedback as I try to nail down an amplifier.

I have a miniDSP and am not thrilled with its performance, it does not always seem to function when repowering on my system. I really do not like the unit at all. The speakerpower amps do seem nice, but the non-plate versions are very expensive.

I know LG has a great rep with the FP series which has incredibly high power output. This unit appears to be stable to 2 ohms per the spec sheet, but we all know that spec sheets can be BS (although some brands are more reliable than others, I assume LG is very reliable).

To many options, the Crest CC 4000 measured very well by a member on one of the pro sound forums, used with a good DSP unit should be good. I cannot find info on the ULF filter frequency for the CC series, sine damping factor is listed from 10 Hz - ? I assume it will go down to 10 Hz. Yes, I could buy a Behringer but I don't like the looks, would really look bad in my equipment rack which is not hidden in a closet. Perhaps its vanity, but much of audio is about perceptions.

John Stuart Mill
post #6 of 39 Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was considering the lower powered unit as a mains amplifier, but i may go with the crown xti just based on release date for these. Based on lg's reputation, these should be very good.
post #7 of 39 Old 05-27-2013, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So many options, my primary concern is the amp reporduce the signal down to 10 Hz, hard to find this spec for most pro models. Lots of misinformation on the Crown amps (XLS) on the web. The Crown XLI look intriguing, as they have rca inputs with switchable input sensitivty suitable to direct connection to unbalanced pre-amp outputs.

John Stuart Mill
post #8 of 39 Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

Thanks for responding, I appreciate all feedback as I try to nail down an amplifier.

I have a miniDSP and am not thrilled with its performance, it does not always seem to function when repowering on my system. I really do not like the unit at all. The speakerpower amps do seem nice, but the non-plate versions are very expensive.

I know LG has a great rep with the FP series which has incredibly high power output. This unit appears to be stable to 2 ohms per the spec sheet, but we all know that spec sheets can be BS (although some brands are more reliable than others, I assume LG is very reliable).

To many options, the Crest CC 4000 measured very well by a member on one of the pro sound forums, used with a good DSP unit should be good. I cannot find info on the ULF filter frequency for the CC series, sine damping factor is listed from 10 Hz - ? I assume it will go down to 10 Hz. Yes, I could buy a Behringer but I don't like the looks, would really look bad in my equipment rack which is not hidden in a closet. Perhaps its vanity, but much of audio is about perceptions.

Have you tried just leaving your miniDSP powered on 100% of the time? That's what I do and I haven't touced it in a year and it's worked perfect.
post #9 of 39 Old 05-31-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 320
The DSP on these guys seems nice, but still the dollar per watt is relatively high in comparison to other options on here like the speakerpower. Now it sure would be SWEET if speakerpower offered rack mounted mono versions of their amps in the 1200-1500ish pricelines. Bascially the plate amps (2400 to 6000w) in a rack mounted enclosure with quiet fans and operational on 120V would be in my wish list. cool.gif Of course DSP would still have to remain external unless they were willing to provide a useable interface for non-OEMs.
post #10 of 39 Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

Is this old news, or is no interested in a sub $2K LG amp with extensive DSP? The power is low for the multiple 18" sub crowd, but would seem to be great for dual SI 18" build with 1200/w per channel into 4 ohm load. If the DSP allows tinkering down to 10 Hz I may go with one despite their being cheaper options.

Hard to get excited about that when for $500 you can get an inuke dsp6000 with more than 1000 W at *8* ohms

Noah
post #11 of 39 Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I really really don't want to go with a Behringer, bothers me to support q company that blatantly copies others work. However, when it comes time to write the check it is hard to igonore them. I am leaning towards the Crest CC 4000 (at least today), as it has the power to run a single dual oposed sub (with either the Dayton or SI 18" driver) running 4 ohms into each driver from the amp AND the power to run a pair of dual opposed in bridged (4 drivers wired into final of 4 ohms).

There are other options that I am considering, such as QSC PL340 or RMX 4050, but as I am stuck here in Cambodia until late August I have plenty of time to obsess.

John Stuart Mill
post #12 of 39 Old 05-31-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

The DSP on these guys seems nice, but still the dollar per watt is relatively high in comparison to other options on here like the speakerpower. Now it sure would be SWEET if speakerpower offered rack mounted mono versions of their amps in the 1200-1500ish pricelines. Bascially the plate amps (2400 to 6000w) in a rack mounted enclosure with quiet fans and operational on 120V would be in my wish list. cool.gif Of course DSP would still have to remain external unless they were willing to provide a useable interface for non-OEMs.
The speakerpower amps look very nice, but wow they are expensive. Price wise I am leaning towards the CC4000; performance wise the QSC PL340 looks awesome, per specs the -3 dB point looks to be 3 Hz vice 10 Hz for the Crest (cannot find this info in the manuals for any of the Crown units). I am rereading your dual opposed build thread, looks hard to surpass the bang for the buck.

John Stuart Mill
post #13 of 39 Old 05-31-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

Have you tried just leaving your miniDSP powered on 100% of the time? That's what I do and I haven't touced it in a year and it's worked perfect.

That is what I started to do, seems to work. I dunno know, I guess it may be the form factor I don't like I like full size components (realizing with dsp it would be mostly empty space). The new openDRC-AN from miniDSP is interesting, the memory would be nice for various house curves (flat, music, HT).

John Stuart Mill
post #14 of 39 Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I seem to be hijacking my own thread!

John Stuart Mill
post #15 of 39 Old 06-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

We have quiet variable speed fans already. They are 12VDC 80ma sleeve bearing fans run at 7VDC at low speed. This is in comparison to the 500ma fan we install for the EDM guys. uh oh there I go again giving it all away to the competition.

A single channel rack mount 120VAC version with the 4000W or 2400W configuration would be easy to do if there is enough interest. The channels are completely independent inside the rack mount chassis, sharing only the power cord. Might be a bit more $$ than you suggest...

Hijack! I'm going to T.H.E. Show (The High End?) tomorrow in Newport Beach since it is just a few miles from my house. Anyone else going? http://www.theshownewport.com/ Bruno Putzeys, world class amp designer, is speaking at 12:30.

Brian
post #16 of 39 Old 06-01-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Brian, re-looked at your lineup and it is very nice! The quality is clear, I applaud your level of quality. I have a fairly set toy budget each year, to buy 4 18" drivers is maxing it out.

John Stuart Mill
post #17 of 39 Old 06-02-2013, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 151
How does the DSP in these LG amps compare to the Crown XTI series? The Crown's have DSP and also have comparable power output, but I am not seeing what these LG amps offer that the Crown does not.
post #18 of 39 Old 06-02-2013, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The only issue with XTI series is they Highpass Filter starting at 20 Hz, not optimal for subwoofer duty in a home theater setting. Since the LG is listed down to 3 Hz, I "assume" at least some of the dsp funtions will allow settings below 20 Hz. Personally I am driving myself stir crazy looking for a solid, non clone product or Behringer, that has a -3 dB point at 5 Hz or lower. So far it seems that among the affordable units the Cerwin Vega and QSC RMX series are listed at this spec. Overall, at affordable levels QSC seems to support deep bass better than Crown, Crest, or Behringer - but would be nice to have test data to confirm.

John Stuart Mill
post #19 of 39 Old 06-02-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

I really really don't want to go with a Behringer, bothers me to support q company that blatantly copies others work.

Understood.

There's also the new Peavey ipr's and upscale Crest versions of them.

Not sure about availability of the higher power units though.

Noah
post #20 of 39 Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Understood.

There's also the new Peavey ipr's and upscale Crest versions of them.

Not sure about availability of the higher power units though.

The Peavey IPR2 5000/7500 DSP models look very interesting, supposedly they will be avialable this summer. The Crest PROLITE versions, if ever available, also loom interesting. I don't know why but they PROLITE series has been continually delayed except for the 2.0 model which lacks the overall power required to drive a gaggle of sealed subs. Per the specification sheets, Crest amps are -3 dB at 10 Hz, may or may not be important depending on whether the owner is pursuing single digits at high SPL.

QSC has a new amp line coming out in June that is supossed to change everything, I hope its cool and not a Segway scooter!

John Stuart Mill
post #21 of 39 Old 06-03-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Those IPR amps were also supposed to release last summer, then January, then March, then June 2013, etc. frown.gif We've been waiting forever so my guess is vaporware unfortunately. : (
post #22 of 39 Old 06-03-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Seems like only Behringer, LG, Speakerpower and a few others can actually deliver on the Class D amps. Weird how long the Peavy and Crest amps have been on the verge of availability. I like the Crown XLS series, but specs on performance below 20 Hz are not available and I've readbon other threads they have a HPF at 20 Hz. May buy one or two for surround duty, I love my Oddessey Khartago for my mains.

Packers arrive this week to ship my household goods back to the US, first step in getting home! I'm getting excited. Not thrilled to have my stereo travelling by slow ship in high humidity back to the States, but they made it here in functional condition I can only hope they make it back to the US in good shape. Will take a month to clear customs in Cambodia. August can't get here soon enough.

John Stuart Mill
post #23 of 39 Old 06-03-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^Seems like only Behringer, LG, Speakerpower and a few others can actually deliver on the Class D amps. Weird how long the Peavy and Crest amps have been on the verge of availability. I like the Crown XLS series, but specs on performance below 20 Hz are not available and I've readbon other threads they have a HPF at 20 Hz. May buy one or two for surround duty, I love my Oddessey Khartago for my mains.

Packers arrive this week to ship my household goods back to the US, first step in getting home! I'm getting excited. Not thrilled to have my stereo travelling by slow ship in high humidity back to the States, but they made it here in functional condition I can only hope they make it back to the US in good shape. Will take a month to clear customs in Cambodia. August can't get here soon enough.

I have been using the Crown XLS for my mains and I do like them very much. I agree for sub use probably not the best of choices for a sealed sub or a vented sub with a <20hz tune.

Agreed the LG and speakerpower are currently the best choices out there. Someday I'll probably saddle up and order a speakerpower rack mounted unit.

On a side note - I've seen some good deals on the Crest CC5500 and 4000 series amps on ebay recently. Might be a good choice, although they claim rated power down to 10hz, not sure what the rolloff looks like under that. For me it wouldn't be a huge concern anyway.
post #24 of 39 Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have been looking at the CC4000 on eBay, really good deals to be had. Lots of choices, soon I will have to decide.

John Stuart Mill
post #25 of 39 Old 06-03-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have been looking at the CC4000 on eBay, really good deals to be had. Lots of choices, soon I will have to decide.

I've been thinking of unloading my clone amp in favor of picking up a pair of the Crest CC5500's to power my 8 18's for now. Seems like the next best reasonably priced solution at the moment - also including the CV5000 when it can be had on sale.
post #26 of 39 Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:

^ Those IPR amps were also supposed to release last summer, then January, then March, then June 2013, etc. frown.gif We've been waiting forever so my guess is vaporware unfortunately. : (

They are out already and have been for a few months..... just everywhere is out of stock from the initial shipment as preorders had to be filled.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #27 of 39 Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

They are out already and have been for a few months..... just everywhere is out of stock from the initial shipment as preorders had to be filled.

The IPR7500? Where? Does anyone here have one in their possession?

I should have clarified I meant the higher level IPRs, not the 3000, etc.

It is indeed promising that PE shows it due in stock at 6/28:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=248-7986

I don't remember seeing it listed on their site before.
post #28 of 39 Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 284
The pre-orders were filled before any are store sold them retail. yes the 7500. there were a few guys who had theirs in hand and had some pics of internals etc. I think it was prosoundweb. I'll look around and see if I can find the thread again.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #29 of 39 Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It would be great if the 7500s become available.

John Stuart Mill
post #30 of 39 Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Dragging some life back into this thread. I wonder if these amps will work well for mains and a HTPC. I figure a HTPC and a AES/EBU Lynx card going directly to 4 of these babies (1 spare channel).
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Qsc Audio Pl340 Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Pl340 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page