Late to the party THT build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all

Just thought I'd share my build with everyone. Great thing about being late to this great subwoofer is the great threads that point out key areas and experiences.

I read and read the plans during lunches prior to cutting anything.

And then finally made some saw dust!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

The panel opening cut wasn't bad at all. If I were to do it again I would make just enough cut on each side and finished up with my jig saw.

Cutting panels first is a goos idea. I would also cut the braces first next time.

First panels getting glued!

post #3 of 33 Old 05-27-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

The rest of my build pix

Routing speaker opening. This part I was most worried about between the speaker slapping the side and attaching the sub without stripping screws or hurricane nuts.

For me, 13 7/8" opening worked perfect. I cut a test opening first and measured what 13 3/4" looked like. Not quite 13 3/4" with the bit I was using so went to 13 7/8".

I used #10 32 2" screws with washer and lock washer. Hurricane nuts note: drill straight, drill slow. Test each hurricane nut with a screw prior to installing. Some are tighter fitting than others. Also because the screws are fine threaded, insert them and go counter clockwise until they "drop" in place with the threads of the nut.

This is what i did so I was comfortable at the final steps. Also I marked a circle around the sub installed on the mount so again the last step I would have the position where all the screws aligned nicely and could be hand tightened. Maybe overkill but read too many complaints about this that worried me.

Coming together

post #4 of 33 Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

This weekend I am putting the last touches to the access panel.

I have tested the sub and like everyone has stated it is AWESOME! The best way I can describe it is I have been chasing the best subwoofer bass I have listened to. This will date me some but it was in a hatchback at a car audio store using an Orion amp and a 12" JL sub. The raw output was unreal and have been trying to find a way to recreate that in the home.

The THT does this and then some! Not only raw power, but clean accurate bass that has an effortless quality.

My HT is an open design so I need this type of output to achieve my goals. I'll post more as soon as I get the panel back on. I had to glue a small leak and set the gasket tape a little to secure the cabinet.
post #5 of 33 Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looking good! I did the THT LPs so I could hide them behind my screen wall, really enjoy them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #6 of 33 Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Brad!

I read your build quite a few times and was one of the builds that got me interested in a THT. I ended up cleaning up a bit over the weekend and finished sealing the access panel which turned out to be a little more work than I thought.

I will need to find the best location for the sub as the bass output form the sub "lives" all round the walls to about three feet in and then diminshes in output from there. My back row seeting is fine but what should be the ideal seats have the least amount of bass output. Guess I will be crawling around the room this weekend with the sub in the middle of the room. Just hope I find a spot on the front wall behind what will be the screen.

Any tips welcome!
post #7 of 33 Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexMan View Post

Thanks Brad!

I read your build quite a few times and was one of the builds that got me interested in a THT. I ended up cleaning up a bit over the weekend and finished sealing the access panel which turned out to be a little more work than I thought.

I will need to find the best location for the sub as the bass output form the sub "lives" all round the walls to about three feet in and then diminshes in output from there. My back row seeting is fine but what should be the ideal seats have the least amount of bass output. Guess I will be crawling around the room this weekend with the sub in the middle of the room. Just hope I find a spot on the front wall behind what will be the screen.

Any tips welcome!
Great build. Anxiously waiting to do mine.

The only suggestion for placement I have is to put a sub in the listening position, if possible, and walk around the room. The place it sounds best, that's your spot.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Great build indeed smile.gif

4 years after I built my THT I still haven't got the itch to upgrade. Still loving it. Absolutely the highlight of my home theater.
post #9 of 33 Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 107
great sub. was my intro into DIY.

the bass energy is often stronger along the walls. try what Michael Mitten suggested first. then take some measurements. graph paper. Rat Shack meter and some test tones will do on the cheap. then what do you have as far as EQ options?

another option is to build another one!! tongue.gif

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #10 of 33 Old 05-31-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Great build. Anxiously waiting to do mine.

The only suggestion for placement I have is to put a sub in the listening position, if possible, and walk around the room. The place it sounds best, that's your spot.

Thanks Michael Mitten. As I was making my first cuts I was like "Holy Crap I'm actually building one!". The build isn't really hard in itself. What can make it a little tricky is the plywood warping on you.

I'm definitely gonna try your suggetsion and see what I find with my Radio Shack SPL Meter this weekend
post #11 of 33 Old 05-31-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

great sub. was my intro into DIY.

the bass energy is often stronger along the walls. try what Michael Mitten suggested first. then take some measurements. graph paper. Rat Shack meter and some test tones will do on the cheap. then what do you have as far as EQ options?

another option is to build another one!! tongue.gif

I do not have a EQ option just yet. I have an old Lexicon DC-1 as my pre-amp at the moment. HAve not upgraded because I have been building my theater for a while and just getting to the part where I get to put stuff back together.

I was also contemplating building two initially and just mught build another in time. Just need to get my theater done first! wink.gif
post #12 of 33 Old 06-09-2013, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I put my sub in my seating location (sorry for poor pic)

And surprise, it is a corner! It's actually the other corner in the front so that is where it is residing. Also the rear corner on the same side was equally as good an option. Now I have two sealed Def Tech 15s I can throw in to the mix until I build my second ThT?

Been reading about EQ options and if anyone has suggestions they are welcome.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Try the def techs near field.

As for EQ. The minidsp would be a good option. Does your avr EQ the sub at all? MultEQ or above?

post #14 of 33 Old 06-09-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Try the def techs near field.

As for EQ. The minidsp would be a good option. Does your avr EQ the sub at all? MultEQ or above?

Hey brian6751, sorry for the noob question but near field is where?

As far as AV EQ, I still have to upgrade to something with HDMI so no EQ at the moment. Bean trying to get my theater done in our new house since we moved in almost five years ago. It's like having a muscle car sitting in your garage without driving it! I'm finally getting close some I'm quite anxious. Might go with a refurb high end receiver right now while I wait for HDMI 2.0
post #15 of 33 Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Nearfield would be right beside or behind the seats.

Depending on the rest of your setup, I wouldn't bother with a high end receiver. Just go with something with the channels and inputs you need. Speaker/ sub placement along with room treatments will get you much more than a higher priced avr.

and hdmi 2.0 will bring only 4k which isn't really worth it right now. Will be years before there is 4k content and projectors are cheap enough to justify the cost.

post #16 of 33 Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ah I see. I can put one of them nearfield and the other by the screen wall.

I have acoustic treatments in my theater but want a higher end receiver for:

- audissey EQ - only the high end receiver and pre amps have the better version

- pre outs - I have a separate 7 channel amp for my main speakers

- refurb - I can get a refurbished high end for the same price as a normal priced receiver

I agree 4 k is a ways off, but with HDMI 2.0 will also include Dolby Atmos and DTS equivalent
If not, will wait until material and the HDMI version comes with it.
post #17 of 33 Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Kinda curious how your other subs will sound with the THT. Let us know when you get a chance to integrate them together. Thanks

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #18 of 33 Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
great reading, lots of diverse reference input from an active community
I really enjoyed reading your journey and then there's all the fans that chipped in then the threads go on and on
the point being
I just finished my THTLP and took advantage of all the info I could stand
pictures at: williamtomkiel.imgur.com

some over kill but there was no hurry.
my build was at te BFM site.

now for some REW.

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 12.3, configurable
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CB, Icon 25 CT,RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #19 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Kinda curious how your other subs will sound with the THT. Let us know when you get a chance to integrate them together. Thanks

I will definitely update everyone when I do. I am pushing to finish my theater and figuring out REW.
post #20 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post

great reading, lots of diverse reference input from an active community
I really enjoyed reading your journey and then there's all the fans that chipped in then the threads go on and on
the point being
I just finished my THTLP and took advantage of all the info I could stand
pictures at: williamtomkiel.imgur.com

some over kill but there was no hurry.
my build was at te BFM site.

now for some REW.

I could not have had the courage to do this build and much of what I have done in my theater without this community.

I see you have an onkyo 818, do you EQ your subs with anything else or just the Audyessy? I ask as that's the receiver I am looking to get.
Thanks
post #21 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexMan View Post

I will definitely update everyone when I do. I am pushing to finish my theater and figuring out REW.

Please do. I heard that mixing sealed subs into the chain didn't have a positive outcome. Right now I have a THT and that sucker rocks my theater! It vibrates the seats so no need for buttkickers. I love bass so I wouldn't mind adding some flatpacks if they would integrate well with the THT.

- Leon Phelps
post #22 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Please do. I heard that mixing sealed subs into the chain didn't have a positive outcome. Right now I have a THT and that sucker rocks my theater! It vibrates the seats so no need for buttkickers. I love bass so I wouldn't mind adding some flatpacks if they would integrate well with the THT.
IMO that makes as much sense as adding sails to a cigarette boat. rolleyes.gif
There's so much difference in the sensitivity of the two formats that the sealed subs will be struggling long before the THT begins to break a sweat.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-16-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

True, but not sub 20Hz.

- Leon Phelps
post #24 of 33 Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
MY 818 in my living room runs my Infinity cascade 15 sub., where I have to deal with 5000 ft# due openings to dining rm/ kitchen
I tried it both ways: First with the Infinity RABOS PEQ and then With Audessy and vice vrsa.
It sounds like the RABOS PEQ first created better overall sound (CO at 80 hz), but I want to run some REW.
My thtlp just installed in the mancave today and going thru some A"deep bass" scenes.
That amp is an Onkyo 270 so no XT 32 but I do have a 1124P that I want to put in the loop. but so fr
WOW.
If I could swing it, I'd get a second 818 but that could amount to massive overkill in 900 ft3.
but for the right price I just might . . .

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 12.3, configurable
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CB, Icon 25 CT,RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #25 of 33 Old 07-04-2013, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Decided to have a part two to this adventure

Just received my second Dayton sub and plate amp + 8 10-32 2" screws with lock washers

Stay tuned! Also EQ ideas suggestions welcome
post #26 of 33 Old 07-04-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Atta boy =)

For EQ, Behringer Feedback Destroyer or MiniDSP are two good options

|
|
|
|
post #27 of 33 Old 07-04-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Lol thanks Brad. Which do you use BFd or MiniDP?
post #28 of 33 Old 07-04-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I use the BFD, works well and cheap (eBay) - and I like the rack form factor

|
|
|
|
post #29 of 33 Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So can the BFD do parametric EQing?
post #30 of 33 Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz View Post

So can the BFD do parametric EQing?

Yup

|
|
|
|
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page