Autotech horns? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im wondering, what exactly is one trying to accomplish with a design like this? Im trying to understand purely from an educational standpoint here. I've been looking into the SEOS alot lately and noticed autotech horns on the diysound group and was curious at some other designs

I know you can get horns down pretty low with the right equipment, 300-400hz. But whats the advantage? I thought the big one was constant directivity but i understand not all horns do this

Also, with the example image below as awesome as it looks how does that work in practice? C-t-C spacing is really far away is one thing that jumps out at me,

I've been interested in trying to look into the e-jmlc horns but not alot of designs out there for anything but seos.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 555
I think that picture is playing a bit of a trick on your eyes. The tweeter looks like it's up and to the right of the mid horn, but I think it's actually just straight back to try and align the acoustic centers. Without knowing the details though, I'm just guessing that's what it is.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Yes and no, although I have also seen pictures where these speaker are set up with somewhat closer spacing.

I am certainly not an experienced horn guy, but I think setting up a system like this is a real balancing act; it seems that the tweeter needs to be set well back behind the mid horn's mouth, near the same plane of the mid driver, and at that point you need to sacrifice vertical CTC spacing to not have that big horn causing bad reflections from the tweeter or blocking it outright.

I dunno, if I had any interest in a huge horn setup I'd definitely be looking hard at coaxial drivers or a Synergy type system instead, if a discrete tweeter was necessary.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisuck View Post

I dunno, if I had any interest in a huge horn setup I'd definitely be looking hard at coaxial drivers or a Synergy type system instead, if a discrete tweeter was necessary.

Agreed. Or moving the tweeter closer and using dsp to delay it, then physical alignment wouldn't be necessary.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Agreed. Or moving the tweeter closer and using dsp to delay it, then physical alignment wouldn't be necessary.
Yup, although I believe that's a path that should be taken with caution; dsp delay really only works for one listening position. Not always a significant issue but when we're talking about what looks to be a foot or more of offset, and a crossover frequency perhaps up in the 3-way-mid-to-tweeter range, I'd expect some real phase ugliness off to the sides.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

And that could be why the physical offset.

Interesting speaker. I wonder if there's more info on it somewhere. Where do the pictures come from? My wife would kill me if I brought that home. But interesting to study.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 02:41 PM

A few pics on their facebook, that's where I found the one i posted.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horn-speakers-Autotechpl/165820000115335
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page