The Next F-20 Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have finally had a chance to gather all the parts needed for my F-20 build. I am using a Dayton Ultimax 15", Auroco ply that I paid too much for, and a Bash 300 plate amp (temporary).

On friday I picked up the wood, hauled it over to a buddy's house who has all the necessary tools and began cutting.... Found out that I suck at carpentry and also a perfectionist which translates into a very long cutting process. The good side, I did learn alot and I actually enjoy the hands on type stuff so it was good. Took a break Saturday and finished cutting wood on Sunday.

Today so far I have managed to install T-nuts on the baffle

And began installing the access panel flange. I am doing this out of order because it seems like it would be alot more challenging to do it after all the panels were already in place,

More to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Some progress in the afternoon...

A little blood went into this project but happily no tears, bloody gloves in case you cant tell, sorry for the terrible picture

More progress, hopefully the bracing is adequate, we will see

And Finally - A finished box minus binding posts/driver/some sort of paint

that last brace required a bit of support, didn't want to screw through the sealed chamber.

Long day, time for some rest. smile.gif May have this thing making noise by tomorrow night.
post #4 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 16 Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Made quick work of it - good luck with the noisy part!
post #6 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Got some more work done on the sub yesterday after work.

Moved it into the theater - this was more work than I realized it would be rolleyes.gif and the easiest way ended up being just flipping it end over end.
Added some caulk around the access panel flange just for good measure.
Stuck some closed cell weather stripping foam on the driver mounting surface, installed the driver and tightened it down.
Put a terminal cup in the access panel - this way I figure that I can lay it on the access panel side without issue.
Sealed up and screwed down the access panel.
Robbed my plate amp from existing PSW505 and ghetto rigged it up the the F-20 smile.gif

I did not have a chance to really test this thing out due to little one's bedtime. So today after work I will crank it up a bit to see what damage can be done wink.gif
Now I just have to clean up my mess, test for any leaks, slap together a box for the plate amp, start thinking about bondo/sanding/painting.
Sadly, I do not have any measurement gear so - Subjective listening impressions to come biggrin.gif
post #7 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 852
congrats.

btw, when setting distance, you may need to include most of the path length inside the horn for proper matching to your mains.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

congrats.

btw, when setting distance, you may need to include most of the path length inside the horn for proper matching to your mains.

Thanks
I did change the distance setting to include the 13-14 ft path length. Hoping to do some measurements eventually with some outside help.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 852
i also checked on the amp and it has a high pass filter at 17.7hz q=1.0, which means about 1db of boost from 20-30hz and a -3db point around 15hz +/-, so it should be a good match even though you mentioned upgrading the amp at some point.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogeng182 View Post

Now I just have to clean up my mess, test for any leaks, slap together a box for the plate amp, start thinking about bondo/sanding/painting.

Please post up some pictures of what you do for the plate amp. I recall a couple of people that asked for "mounting options" when using a plate amp with a horn, so I know there are people interested in doing this.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #11 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

i also checked on the amp and it has a high pass filter at 17.7hz q=1.0, which means about 1db of boost from 20-30hz and a -3db point around 15hz +/-, so it should be a good match even though you mentioned upgrading the amp at some point.

Thanks for the info LTD smile.gif
When I looked for it I had no luck. Anyways thats great news that the amp is a decent match. It is still only 300W however, the UM-15 thats in there is rated for 800 W RMS i believe.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Please post up some pictures of what you do for the plate amp. I recall a couple of people that asked for "mounting options" when using a plate amp with a horn, so I know there are people interested in doing this.

Will definitely post pictures. I am thinking I will just build a small box out of the plywood scraps that have accumulated. I don't think I will mount it to the horn, it's big enough already, I plan on setting the plate amp box somewhere nearby.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Took about 15 minutes to cut a few pieces of scrap ply and mount the plate amp, not at all elegant but it is functional. Will have to do for now, having too much fun listening to stuff.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Had a chance to listen to some music, surprisingly I didn't notice a huge difference between my psw505 and the horn when played at moderate levels. Then cranked it up and gave some electronic/dubstep type content a try and wow.... that is impressive, really getting a good midbass kick in addition to great stuff down lowwww.

The big revelation came when I popped in the Bass HT demo disk, got it from AVS, forgot who put it together but thanks smile.gif. Was really, really impressed with Flight of the Pheonix and Terminator Salvation in particular. I just kept getting hit by wave after wave of bass goodness. Clear and tactile, how is that for some subjective buzzwords rolleyes.gif I believe that I may have discovered the resonant frequency of my skull (good thing). This could be due in part to the main LP being about 5 ft from the horn mouth. It seems like throughout the rather short session the woofer loosened up a bit and was sounding even better cool.gif I am thinking that I will be more impressed with music when I go back for another round.

Coming from the polk sub, this is an infinitely better setup, however, my wife is NOT very happy, but I think with some time her urge to kill will subside. At this point I just cannot imagine adding more sub.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

however, my wife is NOT very happy

You're doing it right
post #16 of 16 Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

....however, my wife is NOT very happy, but I think with some time her urge to kill will subside.

Welcome to the club.
Quote:

At this point I just cannot imagine adding more sub.

Give it time.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page