was looking to upgrade from a bic f12 to the klipsch rw-12 at $270 or so on sale but, - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-30-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
on a thread someone mentioned building your own and recommended this, saying youd get much better performance

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-762

i watched the video, it does not look difficult at all to build your own.

so im just wondering if in the video they just make it look easy, if indeed you do get better performance for the money, or is it just a gimmick. if it is easy to build your own, and cheaper, why isnt everyone going that route?

also, if i do decide to go with one of those dys, any recommendations on something cheaper in the up to $300 range that would beat that klipsch rw-12 when on sale?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
1. With the community now in place, DIY speaker or sub can net you significant savings over buying. Not really a argument. I built PE kits in the past, and I was NEVER disappointed. However, while you skip one middle man...PE is still another middle man in effect. That is what forums like this and DIYsoundgroup do so well, they bring speakers/subs to near raw materials and give you a plan.

2. With more speakers (especially subs), the savings can mount quickly in comparison. But it can also start a horrible addiction of "well, I have one sub..so I need two for 6 more dB"...then you realize you need to go to 4..because 130 dB just isn't good enough @ 6 feet..you want 130 dB @ 12 feet. Then it goes to 8...then 16...then you go LMS, then your wife shoots you.

3. To only real limit of current gen of DIY speakers is they won't be as traditionally eye pleasing IMO. But DIY speakers have their own "eye candy" since YOU made them.

4. And why isn't everyone going that route...is more of a DIY statement in general
  • People are Lazy (put it this way...a powerful hand built desktop PC will always give more oomph per dollar than one bought from best buy)
  • People are skeptical and choose to remain ignorant (DIY sound group POSTS their curves..un-smoothed)
  • People believe that if A costs more than B assuming A and B are equal (e.g. they are both 12" subs), then A must be better!

Choosing to break from the above mold is a tough step..but important. Good luck, enjoy the journey. While I'm sure you statement of "why isn't everyone doing this" wasn't meant to be offensive, I think if you read a bit more in these threads, your eyes will open.
deathinc likes this.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #3 of 16 Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I wouldn't exactly call that sub kit a great value, that assembled and finished cabinet takes a good chunk of the value away. It's definitely still a solid buy compared to many commercial products though.

Building and finishing a box costs you wood, glue, and paint. That dayton box could probably be done for $50-60 true DIY.

You could get a little better with a slight modification to one of their cheaper cabinets.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=302-830

The amp cutout is 8.5" x 8.5", if you borrowed a jigsaw from someone (or even bought a $30 B&D), you would open that up to 8 7/8" x 9 3/4" in order to fit this amp

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=301-514

and the use this woofer

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-190

That would be a very strong $500 sub

If you can build a box, well, your options get even better.
post #4 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

1. With the community now in place, DIY speaker or sub can net you significant savings over buying. Not really a argument. I built PE kits in the past, and I was NEVER disappointed. However, while you skip one middle man...PE is still another middle man in effect. That is what forums like this and DIYsoundgroup do so well, they bring speakers/subs to near raw materials and give you a plan.

2. With more speakers (especially subs), the savings can mount quickly in comparison. But it can also start a horrible addiction of "well, I have one sub..so I need two for 6 more dB"...then you realize you need to go to 4..because 130 dB just isn't good enough @ 6 feet..you want 130 dB @ 12 feet. Then it goes to 8...then 16...then you go LMS, then your wife shoots you.

3. To only real limit of current gen of DIY speakers is they won't be as traditionally eye pleasing IMO. But DIY speakers have their own "eye candy" since YOU made them.

4. And why isn't everyone going that route...is more of a DIY statement in general
  • People are Lazy (put it this way...a powerful hand built desktop PC will always give more oomph per dollar than one bought from best buy)
  • People are skeptical and choose to remain ignorant (DIY sound group POSTS their curves..un-smoothed)
  • People believe that if A costs more than B assuming A and B are equal (e.g. they are both 12" subs), then A must be better!

Choosing to break from the above mold is a tough step..but important. Good luck, enjoy the journey. While I'm sure you statement of "why isn't everyone doing this" wasn't meant to be offensive, I think if you read a bit more in these threads, your eyes will open.

Most people not going DIY is because there lazy? Lol
post #5 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Was that a question?

...then yes. I agree there is probably a decent amount of people that would rather buy pre-fab than to DIY a sub/speaker. That could also be grouped with people that don't have the tools or skill, but with DIYSoundGroup having CNC cut boxes, plenty of sub and amp options out there....it's become rather easy to piece something together. What I've seen also is that, and I believe someone mentioned this already, is that the more you're spending the more DIY can begin to really show it's benefits.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #6 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 04:25 PM

Very interesting, I went SVS, I guess I'm lazy.

How can I get the performance, size, and finish of dual SVS SB12's (gloss black) with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty for $950 (what I paid for two b stock, but were basically brand new) where I would save enough money that my time would be worth it...?
post #7 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post

You don't like DIY, we get it.
Quote:
How can I get the performance, size, and finish of dual SVS SB12's (gloss black) with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty for $950 (what I paid for two b stock, but were basically brand new) where I would save enough money that my time would be worth it...?

I'm confused, did you buy a car or subwoofer. wink.gif

You could do a pair of DO Dayton/SI subs off an EP4000 for the same price that would walk over over those dual SB12's. Or you could have done a single DO with amp for about 300 bucks less that probably still would outperform it with ease.

If that's not worth your time, why bother hanging out in the DIY forum?

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #8 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Such an ignorant comment. I have a DIY dual opposed Stereo Integrity 18", which beats my old $2,000+ Submersive HP, which beats the SVS SB12's easily. Total materials cost + amp ~$950. Looks great too. The subs and amp both have warranties, and the time to glue together a flat pack of materials is less than 4 hours combined outside of waiting for glue to dry.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Two SI 18" subwoofers for $400, Two DIYsoundgroups flatpack $250, Behringer EP4000 $275, Duratex $50.

Total of $975. The final product will stomp all over the two SVS you have, and will do it over and over again without breaking a sweat.

If you buy the wood and build the box yourself, you can save about $150 over the flatpack........ The only nice thing about the SVS is you can open the box, plug it in, and go.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

You don't like DIY, we get it.
I'm confused, did you buy a car or subwoofer. wink.gif

You could do a pair of DO Dayton/SI subs off an EP4000 for the same price that would walk over over those dual SB12's. Or you could have done a single DO with amp for about 300 bucks less that probably still would outperform it with ease.

If that's not worth your time, why bother hanging out in the DIY forum?

DIY is very interesting, I actually plan on building a subwoofer in the near future, reason why I use my lazy time here in the DIY threads. wink.gif

Your missing my point, when someone says everyone that does not go DIY is because they are lazy, too stupid to seek out the information, or just don't understand what DIY can do for them that's why they buy finished subs and in return are being ripped off.

DIY is more of a hobby, its the desire to want to build your own subwoofer, see what you can create, I'm sure a lot of the DIY guys here don't stop at there first subwoofer, why? Because they love the hobby and like a sport want to get better.

The SB12 is not the best performer in its price, yes it's known you can get better performance, but I bought this subwoofer because for my needs the performance was more then I needed, also part of my requirements was high WAF, and the 5 year "bumper to bumper" warranty provides me with piece of mind for the next 5 years.

The cost to paint two subwoofers in a high gloss black with the similar driver, amp, and flawless finish would exceed $950..

If I have offended anyone that was not my intent.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Such an ignorant comment. I have a DIY dual opposed Stereo Integrity 18", which beats my old $2,000+ Submersive HP, which beats the SVS SB12's easily. Total materials cost + amp ~$950

Quote:
Originally Posted by thucker View Post

Two SI 18" subwoofers for $400, Two DIYsoundgroups flatpack $250, Behringer EP4000 $275, Duratex $50.

Total of $975.

I think I see a pattern here. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #12 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I think I see a pattern here. biggrin.gif

That two 18s is the minimum requirement to hang out here???? tongue.gif
post #13 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is hope for you. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #14 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Make note to self> Keep the 18”s smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #15 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21

Klipsch La Scalas with original AA crossovers - L/R
Klipsch La Scala split with AL-3 crossover - Center
Sony SSF - 5000 - surrounds
Dayton DIY sealed 18" sub and full sized Marty powered by EP 4000 bridged
Sony 55" 240 LED TV
post #16 of 16 Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeskizzle View Post

Ha ha, so funy wink.gif coffee all over screen

Edit> I stole that pic.. I'm so ashamed. None the same I did it though. rolleyes.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page