Fusion-8 Alchemy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've decided to build the SEOS Tempest as mains, and I think I want to do the Alchemy as surrounds.. I'm not finding as much information on them as I'd like as far as listening impressions go. I trust Jeff B. as a designer and will probably go ahead and get them but since AVS seems to be the place where most people are using the kits over at DIYsoundgroup I thought I'd ask what people's listening impressions were of the Fusion 8's. I'll probably build them first (mainly because they're cheaper) and consequently they will play as my mains for a while before I build the SEOS. Eventually they'll be surrounds. Thanks for any comments!

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 281
im one of the few that has built a pair. also 351carlo built a pair he uses for surrounds with some Fusion 10s as LCRs
carlos thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471429/my-new-diy-seos-builds-and-diy-subs/0_100#post_23284908

I built mine for my dad for a 2.1 setup. they sound really good IMO. clear and crisp and very detailed. they play very loud with some power. they do need to run with a sub. A bunch of people heard them in April at the last G2G in PA and they seemed to like them. I never ran them together with my tempests so I cant really comment on how they work as rears but i see no reason why they would not be fine. Carlo would be a better person to answer that

there are some more impressions in my build thread and g2g thread linked in my sig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 62
In case you don't get any first-hand impressions (don't know how many folks have built these yet), here's a somewhat roundabout way of gleaning "what they sound like".

Jeff B. said he voiced them to sound very similar to his "Continuum" speakers, albeit WAY more sensitive:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?235069-So-who-s-going-to-build-Jeff-Bagby-s-Definimax-12-SEOS-Econowave&p=1886924#post1886924

I think a lot more people have built Continuums. Search Techtalk and google for comments.

I know, kinda sketchy, but you might end up with some idea if you don't hear from any Alchemy builders.

Edit: too late LOL I forgot about Sibuna's build. redface.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I plan on using the Fusion 10's for my LCR (really wanted bigger, but the other designs have too much depth). I also plan on using the 8's as my "in-walls". From everything i've gleamed, the 8's are fantastic for surrounds or coupled with a sub as mains.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #5 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. I'll do a search on Carlo. I had already read your build thread, and enjoyed it. I can only hope mine will look half as good as yours did. My poly coats never seem to come out how I want them too. I'll check out the G2G one as well. I'll be purchasing the knock down cabs.. I'm tired of having to look at my poor woodworking skills while trying to enjoy the music. Plus my wife won't be as irritated with all the time I'm spending in the garage.. it's as if she actually likes being around me.. I already have a sub. I currently cross it at 40, but it should do fine up to 60. I'm not sure if I'll like how it sounds at 80 though.. Would you say they work well for music too? or more of an HT speaker?

Bruce
post #6 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 281
they work great for music. my dads setup is 100% music and ive heard them over there many times. Hes mostly a classic rock & folk person and he loves them. They replaced a pair of 20 year old ailing magnepans. He like the clairity and mid range out of them. Ive run the gamut throgh them from classic rock to metal to dubstep they handle everything well IMO

post #7 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Are they designed to have the horn at ear level?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page