Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Looks good.

I am particularly interested in building something with these same drivers or the 6.5" version.

From what I understand, you have to be careful how low you use the mid on the coax as when it gets moving too much you get alot of negative effects on the sound.

I personally think these coax designs that you see from JTR and Seaton offer some of the best compromises you can get for your standard, non dedicated listening rooms.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 09-03-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 144
How does this Faital Pro coax compare to the B&C 8cx21? Or something from the like of Eminance,
post #33 of 40 Old 09-03-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I can't speak to the sound of the other drivers other than mfg published frequency response curves. The B&C 8CXT looks to be a bit easier to work with than the 8CX21.

Any of the coax drivers will need serious crossover design work to get reasonably flat frequency response out of them. I am still doing my XO design and am trying to reduce the component count.

The Faital is very well built and consistency between the drivers is high. It also has a shorting ring in the woofer which reduces distortion. I don't think the B&C or the Eminence have that. I also liked the Faital because I hadn't seen any other designs using it.

Here are the measured frequency response for the Faital tweeter, mid and the AE TD10X (the AE is reduced by 10db to make the plot easier to read),.These were taken in the cabinet so baffle effects are included in the plots. The good thing is that many of the peaks and valleys smooth out quite a bit off axis so I am working to balance on axis response with the overall power response.

post #34 of 40 Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Those are some fine looking speakers! Nice build! Are you designing the passive crossover yourself? Does the Faital have a pre-existing crossover already designed that you could use for the mids & highs on the coax, then perhaps do your own work on crossing over the woofers either actively or passively?
post #35 of 40 Old 09-04-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Top notch
post #36 of 40 Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Those are some fine looking speakers! Nice build! Are you designing the passive crossover yourself? Does the Faital have a pre-existing crossover already designed that you could use for the mids & highs on the coax, then perhaps do your own work on crossing over the woofers either actively or passively?

I don't know if there is a premade crossover. I am designing my own. Any premade crossover is going to be a compromise no matter how well designed because it doesn't take into account the effects of the actual baffle the drivers are mounted on.

Regards,

Dennis
post #37 of 40 Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
In regards to crossover I have been doing some thinking.

I am very interested in doing a build with some of these Coaxials like I mentioned earlier but one thing that I have thought about is possibly having an external crossover that way it would be easier to make upgrades and changes and even move to an active set up later down the road.

Just a though. But you probably have already decided to go with an internal crossover....

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #38 of 40 Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I will be using an internal XO. I will design the XO and then listen to it with SoundEasy's XO emulator and do most of my voicing that way. Then once I build the final XO the actual in room voicing should be minimal.
post #39 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are there any updates on this build? I recall seeing it last year but forgot all about it. Should be a very nice sounding speaker when finished.
post #40 of 40 Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Since another poster asked about this build I thought I would post an update. I will be getting back to the build soon as I just wrapped up the matching LMS sub. I have the crossovers designed and parts here. I did quite a bit of listening and tweaking to them with the SoundEasy XO emulator before ordering the parts so hopefully there shouldn't be a lot of voicing needed once the physical XOs are constructed.

Here are the measured responses of the drivers in the enclosure. This doesn't include the nearfield measurements of the woofers and the port as I merged that in later.

Here is the crossover and predicted response. XO points are 300 Hz third order butterworth and 2khz 6th order. The coax mid and tweeter were pretty ragged and took a lot of components to get a frequency response I was happy with. I have probably $500 just in XO parts. Active with DSP would certainly be a better way to go with drivers of this type.

I also took some measurements of the system in my office with the soundeasy emulated XO to make sure I hadn't messed something up with the driver measurements and it was smoother than predicted but I didn't save it. I will post a final measured response once it is warmer and I can get the completed speaker outside.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page