New Speaker Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 06-05-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have started a new speaker build. First drivers should arrive tomorrow, the rest should hopefully arrive around the middle of the month. More details and pictures to follow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Curved build, I like it already smile.gif
post #3 of 40 Old 06-06-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 261
post #4 of 40 Old 06-06-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

what did you use to curve the sides?

8 layers of 1/8" mdf laminated in a vac bag
post #5 of 40 Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

First set of drivers are here; the Faital Pro 8HX200 coax.

I ran a couple quick measurement of the driver just sitting on the floor to get a feel if Faital's measurements were even close to reality as they looked overly smoothed compared to other coaxes like the B&C or 18 sound. The tweeter looks good and is fairly close to the factory plots even with reflections off the floor and other stuff in my office. The woofer response looked worse than the mfg plots especially in the breakup region but I will withhold judgement until I do real in box measurements once the cabinets are done.

Now back to working on the cabinets and waiting for my 4 AE TD10x's to arrive.

post #6 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
interesting you building a T8 clone? Maybe a Catalyst Clone?

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #7 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Those look really nice. I look forward to your measurements. I'd like to find a coax that actually works ok.
post #8 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I recently heard the Catalyst in Des Moines at a GTG and was very impressed with how they sounded. I would certainly say I was inspired by the Catalysts but I wouldn't go so far as to say these are a clone since I am using different drivers, fully passive etc.

I will post measurements of the drivers once I get the cabinets further along but that will be a while as my AE woofers won't ship for at least a week or two.

Regards,

Dennis
post #9 of 40 Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Subscribed, I am interested in coaxial surround.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
post #10 of 40 Old 06-08-2013, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 148
What other drivers are you going to use besides the Faital Pro coax that is pictured above? Are you going to be using a passive crossover? I am looking forward to seeing this build come to life!
post #11 of 40 Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

What other drivers are you going to use besides the Faital Pro coax that is pictured above? Are you going to be using a passive crossover? I am looking forward to seeing this build come to life!

Yes, these are going to be passive. The woofers will be the AE TD10X. Now if I could just find time to get something done. Spent much of yesterday trying to fix an out of alignment miter slot on my tablesaw.
post #12 of 40 Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ran the free air t/s measurements for the Faital coaxes tonight using the woofer tester and then I verified them using SoundEasy. I did not break in the drivers other than stretching the suspension first. Here are the average of the two drivers measured parameters

Fs 73 Hz
Re 5.65 ohms
Qms 7.50
Qes .31
Qts .299
Vas 14.0 liters

The woofers measured within about 1.5% of each other. The compression driver impedance and Fs were very close to each other. FS, Re, Qes, and Qts were all within 3% of the factory numbers. VAS and QMS were further from spec, though VAS is challenging to measure accurately and will change some with break in.

I will give the drivers a more thorough break in before taking the actual in cabinet measurements.

Now back to the tablesaw.
post #13 of 40 Old 06-13-2013, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

How does this Faital Pro coax compare to the ones used in the JTR T8?
post #14 of 40 Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

How does this Faital Pro coax compare to the ones used in the JTR T8?

Sorry I don't know. I believe Jeff uses an Eminence coax on the triple 8 but that is all I know.
post #15 of 40 Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
How's the progress coming on these, I am very interested in seeing these finished.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #16 of 40 Old 06-17-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

How's the progress coming on these, I am very interested in seeing these finished.

It is going slower than I would like. I have all the panels and braces dado'd and cut except for ripping the angles on them to match the curvature of the top/bottom. I will get that done tonight. Next I will be making a template to flush mount the coax. Other than that, I can't do much until the woofers come in from AE and I can get exact basket measurements for the flush mount. Jana said my woofers should be shipping soon so hopefully I will have them in the next week or so.

Here is a bad cell phone pic from yesterday:

Dennis
post #17 of 40 Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post

It is going slower than I would like. I have all the panels and braces dado'd and cut except for ripping the angles on them to match the curvature of the top/bottom. I will get that done tonight. Next I will be making a template to flush mount the coax. Other than that, I can't do much until the woofers come in from AE and I can get exact basket measurements for the flush mount. Jana said my woofers should be shipping soon so hopefully I will have them in the next week or so.

Here is a bad cell phone pic from yesterday:

Dennis

I am just curious to know what method you are using to get the panels curved? Also, with regards to the curve, how are you able to figure out what angles to cut the front and back panels?
post #18 of 40 Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

To expand on what I mentioned earlier, the curved side panels were made using 7 layers of 1/8" MDF laminated in a vacuum press over a curved form.

As for cutting the angles to match the curved sides, I drew the speaker in CAD and simply measured the angles where the front/rear baffle and braces intersect the sides. Since the sides are curved and not a straight line, this angle is just an approximation; however, they are only off by a few thousandths of an inch at the center of the panel edge so I don't worry about it. Since there is some springback in the panels when done in the vac press and the curvature is is off slightly from the theoretical, I fine tune the angle on the tablesaw to get it to match the top and bottom very closely. Usually the actual angle isn't off by more than a half degree vs the calculated.

Hope this helps.

Dennis
post #19 of 40 Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

I had really hoped to have the woofers so I could get the cabinets finished this week as I took the week off. However now AE tells me the woofers will not ship until the end of next week as they are waiting on phase plugs. I am making some progress on the cabinets though. Curved side panels are veneered and the last panel should glued to the rest of the cabinet tomorrow. Next I will be flush trimming the panels to the rest of the cabinet and veneering the top bottom and rear panels.

post #20 of 40 Old 07-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I wonder if John uses the same 10" basket for the AV series drivers? You could shoot him an email and see. If they are the same, you can use the PDF file for the other drivers to get the correct cutouts.

Edit: I just compared the Dipole and AV series and they have the same basket dimensions. You might be in luck there. smile.gif
post #21 of 40 Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

They are slightly different than the AV woofers. John gave me a diameter for the driver though he said there is some variance in the actual diameter. Also I am not going to use the stock gasket so that will change the depth too and I don't have that measurement either. So I am just going to wait until the drivers come in to route the holes.
post #22 of 40 Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post

They are slightly different than the AV woofers. John gave me a diameter for the driver though he said there is some variance in the actual diameter. Also I am not going to use the stock gasket so that will change the depth too and I don't have that measurement either. So I am just going to wait until the drivers come in to route the holes.

Gotcha. I figured you had asked already. The cabs are coming along very nicely. I know just how you feel about the frustration of waiting. I am now, due to my own oversight in ordering, waiting on lining and speaker wire. This hobby isn't for people that are impatient at all. tongue.gif
post #23 of 40 Old 07-26-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

AE TD10X drivers are in. I measured the t/s parameters last night and all 4 are extremely close to published specs other than re being about 1.2 ohm lower than spec. I have the cabinets done except for the front panel veneer and the finish.

Only setback today was when I was spraying the black paint for the driver cutouts the spray can nozzle stuck half way on and was spitting drops of paint everywhere. I got it away from the cabinet but not before it spit drops of black paint all over the veneer on one side of a cabinet. Most of it came off with mineral spirits and sanding should get rid of the rest.

Next will be the front veneer and then finishing.

post #24 of 40 Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

The speaker is looking awesome. I would have been cussing like a maniac when the spray nozzle stuck, glad you could repair the damage fairly easily.

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free.

John Stuart Mill
post #25 of 40 Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

The speaker is looking awesome. I would have been cussing like a maniac when the spray nozzle stuck, glad you could repair the damage fairly easily.

Unfortunately I did drop an f-bomb when it happened and my 6 year old daughter said dad why did you say "funk" which she knows from a black eyed peas song she hears in my wifes car a lot.
post #26 of 40 Old 07-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Awesome work so far, I look forward to the finished product and your listening impressions. Kudo's
post #27 of 40 Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 168
This is going to be a very classy build (f bombs aside biggrin.gif )
Can't wait to see them finished and hear your impressions.
post #28 of 40 Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a shot of the cabinets with the ribbon stripe mahogany dyed with a wash coat of Transtint orange-brown and two coats of blonde shellac padded on to seal in the dye and add color to the grain. I am still debating on filling the grain so next steps will either be Crystalac grain filler and then spraying Target Coatings EM6000 water based lacquer or just the lacquer. I can't want to get the drivers in them and get measuring for crossovers.

I am bummed though that I still have to make stands for them and then start on a matching LMS18 sub. I am going to have a hard time getting this all done before winter.

post #29 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a somewhat crappy cell phone shot of the cabinets with 4 coats of finish and the drivers installed to check the port tuning, leaks etc. Once I actually had them in the room they looked a lot larger than in CAD. I had debated on using the 12" TD woofers, glad I stuck with the 10's.

Next steps will be 2-3 more coats of lacquer, then SPL measurements and crossover design.

post #30 of 40 Old 08-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Very nice! Quality shows.

John Stuart Mill
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page