Choosing the right engineer to help design the best crossover - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-08-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After years of buying what I thought were great systems and then having to tweak them to get the open deep sound stage that I could listen to all day, but just missing the mark a little here and a little there. I realized that I needed a known master and professional who could end my streak of "almost right" and "if I did this different" experiments.

So I checked around a bit and Philip Bamberg's name came up again and again as one of the best out there who has quietly and consistently pushed the envelope of accuracy.

For a reasonable price Phil agreed to help me reach audio nirvana with an old system I had tossed aside in disappointment. The drivers were the Scan Speak 8545K and the Scan Speak 9300 which came out of a Borealis kit. He said he has worked with my drivers before and that he could bring my system into complete amplitude and phase alignment. That will get my drivers to display all they could into an open sound stage and accurate musical representation of what the recording engineer had intended.

What makes this easy for us is I have a modified Behringer DCX and he agreed to send me the program to make sure I am completely satisfied with what he did before we go passive. He said this is part of his normal development routine anyway. If all goes well, I'll know I can trust him to build my dream system. Starting with an existing rework, no matter what happens, I have a relatively low investment in a really good bet. And chances are I will end up with a really nice set of upgraded speakers. Besides, it’s even easy to do a before/after comparison this way.

After some back and forth emails and phone calls, I shipped him my speakers. Phil said he will need them for only a week or two. I will wait with great expectations to see what Phil can do to coax these old pair of drivers into bringing music to life. I finally turned to someone I believed could take a set of drivers and get real music out of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-08-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I'm confused here; are you actually asking a question? cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #3 of 11 Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
when you get them back, it will be interesting to hear how they perform on rythym, tunefullness, and pacing. i suspect that they will be great in these categories.
Brad Horstkotte likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-08-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
tunefullness ? tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif
post #5 of 11 Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 60
advertisement ...........
post #6 of 11 Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclear View Post

After years of buying what I thought were great systems and then having to tweak them to get the open deep sound stage that I could listen to all day, but just missing the mark a little here and a little there. I realized that I needed a known master and professional who could end my streak of "almost right" and "if I did this different" experiments.

So I checked around a bit and Philip Bamberg's name came up again and again as one of the best out there who has quietly and consistently pushed the envelope of accuracy.

For a reasonable price Phil agreed to help me reach audio nirvana with an old system I had tossed aside in disappointment. The drivers were the Scan Speak 8545K and the Scan Speak 9300 which came out of a Borealis kit. He said he has worked with my drivers before and that he could bring my system into complete amplitude and phase alignment. That will get my drivers to display all they could into an open sound stage and accurate musical representation of what the recording engineer had intended.

What makes this easy for us is I have a modified Behringer DCX and he agreed to send me the program to make sure I am completely satisfied with what he did before we go passive. He said this is part of his normal development routine anyway. If all goes well, I'll know I can trust him to build my dream system. Starting with an existing rework, no matter what happens, I have a relatively low investment in a really good bet. And chances are I will end up with a really nice set of upgraded speakers. Besides, it’s even easy to do a before/after comparison this way.

After some back and forth emails and phone calls, I shipped him my speakers. Phil said he will need them for only a week or two. I will wait with great expectations to see what Phil can do to coax these old pair of drivers into bringing music to life. I finally turned to someone I believed could take a set of drivers and get real music out of them.

Since you have the DCX and he is going to send you the DCX settings so that you can go active, why bother with passive?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7 of 11 Old 06-09-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 183
how do you know the speaker is the problem and not the room/setup?

Noah
post #8 of 11 Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
DId you use the Borealis XO? Phil is a great designer but George Short who did the Northcreek Borealis was also very well respected. I heard the Borealis some time ago at the Iowa DIY events and thought it sounded good.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I’m a guy who knows what he wants to hear and has yet been able to get that out of a set of drivers on my own. I then purchased kits and never felt them to give the sound I was hoping for.

Then I heard about Phil Bamberg. When Phil and I were on the phone and I mentioned I had the Borealis kit. One of the first things Phil said was that he knows George and respects his work. He also mentioned that he would be surprised if the speaker didn't measure well.

I had been looking at getting back into DIY speakers and really wanted to use someone I could trust and thought it was a great opportunity to use a well-respected design and see what Phil could do with it.

I really look forward to hearing that soon.

I had been thinking of using this two way design in my office and rededicate the DCX to a larger 3-way system that hopefully Phil will do for me next.

I thought starting with the DCX design was a great way to evaluate the sound in my environment, fine-tune the voicing for my room and taste and then implement the final passive crossover based on what I find at the location I’ll be listening to it.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Well I'm interested to hear what Phil's XO's do for the Borealis; I have some, though haven't used them for awhile.

Noah
post #11 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Phil recently brought his speakers to the Central Iowa Spring Audio GTG and then the following weekend at the Lone Star Audio Fest. AVS member ALMFamily had a chance to hear Bamberg's speakers at both venues. dlbeck and I had a chance to go out for some BBQ with Phil Bamberg, Mark Seaton, and Jeff Permanian the night before the Iowa GTG. We had a lot of fun discussing audio.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page