Upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So currently i have a set of La Scalas as my L/R with a Heresy as my center but i've never been wowed by the bass from the La Scalas. So i'm considering selling the La Scalas and either building something new myself or purchasing new ones. My budget would be between $1000 and $1500, or whatever the La Scalas might sell for + or - a bit and my only requirements are that they're horn loaded and have more low end power than the La Scalas offer me now, bass need not be horn loaded however. Not to diss on the La Scalas too heavily, they sound great with their low bass extension i'm just wondering if there's more out there i might be missing out on. They would be mated up with 2 F-20s and a pair of Klipsch KPT-100 surrounds. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-09-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Diysoundgroup SEOS cheap thrills kit in a Cornwall box.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #3 of 16 Old 06-09-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Thing is though. You have two f20's. with that much sub output I would cross anything at like 80 anyway.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-09-2013, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsidude2 View Post

So currently i have a set of La Scalas as my L/R with a Heresy as my center but i've never been wowed by the bass from the La Scalas. So i'm considering selling the La Scalas and either building something new myself or purchasing new ones. My budget would be between $1000 and $1500, or whatever the La Scalas might sell for + or - a bit and my only requirements are that they're horn loaded and have more low end power than the La Scalas offer me now, bass need not be horn loaded however. Not to diss on the La Scalas too heavily, they sound great with their low bass extension i'm just wondering if there's more out there i might be missing out on. They would be mated up with 2 F-20s and a pair of Klipsch KPT-100 surrounds. Any ideas?
Where are you currently crossing the la scalas at with the f-20's?
If you run a frequency sweep from 20 hertz to 100 where do you feel things are lacking?
The speakers you have are amazing and are considered by many to have qualities that are not found in many speakers, think hard on your motives to upgrade. Are the room acoustics responsible for what you feel you are lacking?
You wouldn't be the first person to "upgrade" from la scalas only to wish you hadn't.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-10-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Having heard the La Scala's on many different occasions, I can also attest to them lack somewhat in the low end. There are several upgrades you could consider, I would recommed building some CornScala's which is a combination of the La Scala's mids and tweets, with the Cornwalls woofers. This would probably go down to 30hz or so. I would sell the La Scala's and purchase a CT-125 tweeter with it's stock horn and a Selenium D405 mid-range driver with a JBL clone M2380 horn for the mid, then go with a CW1526 all from Bob Crites.

This would be a very very nice setup! The Seos speaker kits are also really awesome, but I am not so sure that it would be that much of an upgrade. You could do a Seos-12 + DNA-360 + AE-TD15x, which would be nice and likely have some good mid-bass, but I would bet the CornScala would best it.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsidude2 View Post

Any ideas?
Within the pass band that you should be running the LaScala's when you have F20s I can't imagine them not having enough low end, as that low end shouldn't need to go below 60Hz, and they're flat to that already.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Within the pass band that you should be running the LaScala's when you have F20s I can't imagine them not having enough low end, as that low end shouldn't need to go below 60Hz, and they're flat to that already.

+1

I'd cross at 80-90hz and call it a day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 988
the problem with the la scala's is the big peak around 160hz or so and the steep rolloff under that.

already have the f20's in place? if so, take a measurement, so that you know what you have.

the problem may be room related.

alternatively, you could build an "expansion" flare to attach to the front of the la scala.

a horn that increases the expansion from the area of the la scala mouth to twice that and is 18" long will drop
that big peak down to around 100hz, which should make for easy integration to the f20's.

or, try putting them in the corners of the room, or even building small "false walls" alongside the speakers.

they just need a liitle more boundary loading or horn length imo.

cornscala's or something similar are fine, but a waste of space if you are just going to end up crossing them at 80hz.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-10-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

the problem with the la scala's is the big peak around 160hz or so and the steep rolloff under that.

already have the f20's in place? if so, take a measurement, so that you know what you have.

the problem may be room related.

alternatively, you could build an "expansion" flare to attach to the front of the la scala.

a horn that increases the expansion from the area of the la scala mouth to twice that and is 18" long will drop
that big peak down to around 100hz, which should make for easy integration to the f20's.

or, try putting them in the corners of the room, or even building small "false walls" alongside the speakers.

they just need a liitle more boundary loading or horn length imo.

cornscala's or something similar are fine, but a waste of space if you are just going to end up crossing them at 80hz.

agree %100

Lascalas sound much better in corners. and Cornscalas or the like are a waste when crossed over at 80Hz. i sold my Lascalas looking for better full range performace and ended up building Cornscalas, but then i ended up always crossing them at 80 so i sold them as well.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I personally think that the 3-way CornScalas are a significant improvement over the La Scalas, depending on which drivers you go with. The woofer that Bob Crites offers as a clone of the K-33 is pretty good in the low end. I see no reason why you would crossover a 3-way CornScala at 80hz. I would shoot for 60hz or maybe even lower. Send it a full range signal and it should shine over the basic La Scala. The 3-way CornScala's, (when using the Selenium D405 mid w/JBL2380 horn, and the CT125 w/its stock horn, and a CW1526 woofer), can and will sound much better than the basic La Scala in every possible catagory. I recently got to hear a pair of CornScalas that were 3-ways using the drivers that I listed above, and to be honest, I thought they sounded a whole heck of a lot better than the stock La Scalas. I may go back and try and talk the guy into letting me bring my receiver to demo some movies as just had a stereo setup.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I see no reason why you would crossover a 3-way CornScala at 80hz. I would shoot for 60hz or maybe even lower..
I do, it would be his F20 subs. There's no need to cross to them lower than 80, especially with the low THD of LaScalas.

post #12 of 16 Old 06-12-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do, it would be his F20 subs. There's no need to cross to them lower than 80, especially with the low THD of LaScalas.

+1

The weak link in your setup is the Heresy center not the La Scalas IMO.

post #13 of 16 Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess it's a mater of personal preference as I much prefer the 'weightier' sound of having my mains go down lower than 80hz, preferably down to 40hz. Of course I know that we are not suppose to be able to localize sound frequencys that low, but in my system, and in my room, I like to crossover my LCR's lower than 80hz.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I guess it's a mater of personal preference as I much prefer the 'weightier' sound of having my mains go down lower than 80hz, preferably down to 40hz. Of course I know that we are not suppose to be able to localize sound frequencys that low, but in my system, and in my room, I like to crossover my LCR's lower than 80hz.
If you can localize your subs crossed at 80Hz then you're hearing above bandwidth content created by the electronics, the subs, or both.

post #15 of 16 Old 06-14-2013, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you can localize your subs crossed at 80Hz then you're hearing above bandwidth content created by the electronics, the subs, or both.[/quotet

I am not saying that I hear them, per se, but when running the mains full range, the sound quality just feels heavier and seems to have more weight to it. Definitely an improvement!
post #16 of 16 Old 06-16-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The system needs to be measured. I dont doubt something is amiss in the sound, but without a calibrated mic, you'll never know.....

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Klipsch Synergy F 20 Premium Dual 6 5 Inch Floor Standing Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page