To DIY or not - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I have a budget of 2.5 max would like to stay at 2k. Have a 3700 cu ft room and am currently looking at submersive or pbultra 13. What would you all do max dimensions are 36x22x26. I have no box building experience looking at flat packs currently. Really like the idea of 18" dual woofers but only if it is worth the hassle and perform far better then the other two currently looking at. What would you all recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Are you strapped to only doing a single cabinet? You have a lot of options in that price range even with the flat packs. I will recommend doing multiples if this is an option.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RON82ND View Post

So I have a budget of 2.5 max would like to stay at 2k. Have a 3700 cu ft room and am currently looking at submersive or pbultra 13. What would you all do max dimensions are 36x22x26. I have no box building experience looking at flat packs currently. Really like the idea of 18" dual woofers but only if it is worth the hassle and perform far better then the other two currently looking at. What would you all recommend?

2 dayton 18's or even 15's paired with an ep4000 will whomp on a PB13 pretty darn handily
post #4 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 06:44 PM

Liked: 21
I have a single Dayton 18 in a sealed 4ft cubic box and it is powerful. 2 would be even better. I like (love even) SVS options, but I believe I can do much better in the DIY world than the SVS can offer. I have a single EP4000 (stereo, not bridged at all) powering my Dayton 18 and it's "couch-'vibrating'". Not sure what your size-box can deliver, but keep in mind any of Lilmike's designs. Those designs can overwhelm the "home-theater" space of most of us. Lilwrecker, Homewrecker, F-20...Lilmike is THE MAN!

Klipsch La Scalas with original AA crossovers - L/R
Klipsch La Scala split with AL-3 crossover - Center
Sony SSF - 5000 - surrounds
Dayton DIY sealed 18" sub and full sized Marty powered by EP 4000 bridged
Sony 55" 240 LED TV
post #5 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Most of this boils down to time and how much you want to get involved.

Most of us here started with B&M subwoofers before venturing into the world of DIY. I am a huge fan of SVS; having owned a pair of 16-46pc+'s as my first real subwoofer setup. I then graduated to a pair of PB12/2+'s, and then finally a pair of pb12/2 Ultra's. Compared to the current offerings at the time; they were a huge value, and presented a force to be reckoned with in the subwoofer world.

I have been on this site for almost 10 years and never managed to venture into the DIY forum until a few months ago. Needless to say, the rest is history. I took some advice from members here, sold my SVS, and built a pair of cabinets with 3 SI 18's in each one, powered by 2 EP4000's. Total cost was around 1800.00; or just over a 1/3 the price of my dual Ultras. I was initially worried about SQ and integration, which was a needless concern. These have exceeded every expectation, and then some. So much that I'm adding another pair behind the listening position.

To anyone with the necessary tools, it doesn't require someone with a masters degree in architecture to build a cab and install some drivers. It's also considerably more rewarding to have something that you built yourself. It's a great sense of pride.

See for yourself what all the rave is about. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #6 of 12 Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I'd do two sealed LMS-18's and two nu3kDSP's, which would be at the max of your budget, but would total pwn the SVS and Daytons.
You could even just build one and then work on the 2nd after you save more, to make the purchase a bit less harsh on the wallet.

The EP4k doesn't have any EQ or XO capabilities, unlike the nuDSP's.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-17-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I also am a convert... i used to have Polk, Sunfire and Definitive Tech subs. I have built three subs for the price of the DefTech alone. Two 12" and one 15". Although my wife hates the process (MDF dust everywhere, black lacquer paint residue everywhere, noise), the end results came out fairly well...

I learned a LOT... I found out chamfering and veneering on one box is something for pros. I can do straight edged boxes pretty good. Chamferring and painting is okay. Veneer is generally easier than painting. But trimming veneer on chamfers is nigh impossible. I found out some primers and paints do NOT work together to my chagrin. You really need a jigsaw, circular saw and a router at minimum. A table saw speeds up your work a LOT with easy repetitve cuts.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #8 of 12 Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

I'd do two sealed LMS-18's and two nu3kDSP's, which would be at the max of your budget, but would total pwn the SVS and Daytons.
You could even just build one and then work on the 2nd after you save more, to make the purchase a bit less harsh on the wallet.

The EP4k doesn't have any EQ or XO capabilities, unlike the nuDSP's.

Why not just get a minidsp and 2 EP4k

It ends up being about the same price, and you get a bit more power and the EP4000's look a lot better IMO then the ugly inuke3000s.

And the minidsp has a lot more customizability.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-17-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Definitely looking for 2 separate boxes as one waf was that they must be used as end tables. As far as the flat packs aren't they ready for glue then just paint or finish how I like without having to use a saw or router? As far as eq it is probably a need since I have pioneer 1522 that does not eq the sub. So if someone would take the time and post out some further scenarios that would be great. And as far the nudsp I assume that is an amp? Really think DIY route will be best for the budget and will live with my limited finishing options but my father in law did paint and body might see if he could wrap in fiberglass.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Really like the idea of 18" dual woofers but only if it is worth the hassle and perform far better then the other two currently looking at.
Definitely worth the hassle for a variety of reasons. I'm in Australia, so a PB13 Ultra is $2300= delivery here, but for less than that I bought a pair of FTW21 (pre-orders) at $1200, a pair of NU3000 for $800 and a MiniDSP would cost me ~$150 if I didn't already have one. With the SVS you get 1kW and about 2 litres of Vd. For the same money, I get nearly 10 litres of Vd and 4kW as well as much greater flexibility and power in EQing, not to mention the advantage of having greater flexibility for placement.
Quote:

What would you all recommend?
I'll leave that to those whom remain current with availability and prices, but once you get past the budget builds, DIY can easily best commercial offerings in value.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I can't speak to much to all the great sounding experience/options in the above posts but I just finished and installed my BFM THT-LP, 15" sub with a BASH 300, biggrin.gif in my 900 ft3 man cave and all I can say is Wow Wow Wow.
If I had the budget you do, I'd build 2 15" daayton speaker powered THT's and get the mini-dsp for a room your size and have money left over for an REW experience dialing it in..
The plans work.
The support from the on line community will not let you fail.
As I did not have to deal with a WAF the lp version fit in all locations as REW may best help me determine.
My build pictures are at williamtomkiel.imgur.com,
I had a lot of fun doing the homework and "visualizing" the dry fitting and clamping and on and on.
And the opening battle scene on the BD LOTR when Saueron (?) goes "nuclear" that sound in HUGE, LOW, LOUD, GRITTY, GRINDING and rattles the seats.
Simply awesome.
I'm pretty sure that's your goal.
The right thing, once, the first time.

THE BIG ROOM: Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS3 slim Panny BD 220
Denon X4000 and Emotiva UPA7 for 9.2
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 C, RB 51's, FW's , RS3II SBL/R, RC3II, SL/R, SLX-FH's
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
post #12 of 12 Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post

The right thing, once twice, the first time.
biggrin.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page