Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
hi,

I am really considering building this sub here:

6.1cft 18" sealed sub

I have an empire right now and get it to about 18hz in my room. I would like to go lower than 18. But, I am limited by what I can buy here in the EU as we do not have parts express there. Would this combination work in that box size and give me more output than I have now? the wife won't let me buy a new sub, so if I can just piece one together bit by bit, it will make the asking for forgiveness much easier haha.

Behringer EPX3000

+
say...

RCF 18" woofer You can see the specs if you scroll down a bit to navigator (specs).

Any tips or pointing in the right direction would be really helpful.

my room is 12x15x8 and I am not overly concerned about what SPL I get below 18hz. If I could get it down to 12-15hz and have it feelable that would be ok smile.gif Also, it has to play nicely with my two sealed subs that I have already, so ported is not an option.

I have and am able to use a Mini DSP and REW as well.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-17-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 261

The RCF 18" driver you linked to is better suited in a vented enclosure tuned high, its a pro driver. If you want good spl at 12-15hz then you need 2-4 18" drivers with lots of power/xmax or a big enclosure be it a horn or ported.

post #3 of 5 Old 06-17-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The Epik Empire isnt a standard sealed box sub, there is boost applied to the low end, and a high pass filter below that. Essentially it has the response of a ported sub without the port (and free gain)

A regular sealed sub with no EQ will not match this sub.

Take this woofer

http://www.thomann.de/gb/eminence_kilomax_pro_18.htm

Put it in your 6 ft3 sealed box, get a Behringer NU3000DSP and add a boost of 10 db, Q 2.5, Fc 20hz with the amps EQ function, and you will basically match the response of your Empire

I would try to add more bracing then that box you linked shows also...
post #4 of 5 Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Thanks for the advice guys! I have some work to do it seems...I will do some more homework and reconsider drivers and box sizes. I am willing to go to a bigger box. but I am not really willing to build an 18" sealed sub that only matches my Empire (which is not really a slouch but still)...
post #5 of 5 Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

Thanks for the advice guys! I have some work to do it seems...I will do some more homework and reconsider drivers and box sizes. I am willing to go to a bigger box. but I am not really willing to build an 18" sealed sub that only matches my Empire (which is not really a slouch but still)...

You really need to find a different source of subs, even car audio subs can work great for HT. Pro audio subs basically maximize output above 30-40hz , as it's practically impossible to reproduce frequencies below that in theaters/stadiums, and outdoors.

Your dual 15" Empire also has more cone are then a single 18" woofer. Approximately 1600 cm2 vs 1150 cm2. It definitely performs well for what it is.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page