resistor questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi i'm new to this hobby. I have built a couple kits from parts express and diy sound group, as well as paul carmody's sprite boombox for my wife. my next project I have ordered most of the parts but the resistors i need(dayton 2 ohm 10w part number-004-2 at parts express) are back ordered until the end of july.

so my question is this if i used multiple resistors to get the same value would it affect the sound, or do you guys know another source for these resistors? and while i'm here, if i used an inductive resistor in their place I've heard they attenuate the current going to the driver.

thanks in advance for any help. if you're wondering what the project is it's carmody's aethers tang band version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Using two of these in series for each 2ohm resistor would be fine. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=004-1

I don't think you shouldn't use an inductive resistor as it could change the sound slightly in theory. In real life it probably doesn't make a difference but why risk it.

You don't have to use the dayton "audio grade" or whatever resistors it's just a gimmick, you can use any ceramic resistor.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You can combine resistors to get the needed value (assuming you do it correctly to maintain the proper resistance). Depending on where they are in the circuit I may double or triple them them anyway for additional power handling. Madisound also carries eagle and mundorf non-inductive resistors as well.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
And the reason you don't get this or this or a 2.2 ohm resistor is?
post #5 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

And the reason you don't get this
That isn't non-inductive.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

That isn't non-inductive.
The one the OP referred to isn't either as far as I can tell. The listing just says low inductance. The difference to me just seems to be the difference in price between a 2% part and a 5% part.

So, what is the inductance of the first one I listed compared to the one the OP referenced, where is it used in the crossover, and what audible effect does it have?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

the reason i was going to use dayton is because that is what paul called for in the parts list. i didnt want to mess with his design. i plan on trying my own stuff later but just want to get my feet wet with proven designs. thanks for the help though anything i can learn gets me closer to totally addicted to this hobby.

most of my friends think im crazy...until i turn the amp on.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, so as far as I can see, the difference between the resistor you referenced and the first one in my list is 2% versus 5%. From what I have read in the past on the web, the inductance of the two measure very close. So, the part you referenced, as far as I can tell, is not a non-inductive resistor, and Parts Express doesn't say it is. So , it comes down to 2% versus 5%. You will never heard a difference. For that matter, you will never hear the difference between a 2 ohm resistor and a 2.2 ohm resistor.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the help guys i ordered 4 1 ohm resistors 2x per speaker. so while i'm here i have another question about resistors. so they are rated in watts, how important is that number? what happens when too much power is put into the mix? im using an old amp to run these projects and i ran the numbers through an online impedance calc and it said the driver would see 15 watts(give or take). i also read that using multiple resistors in parallel would increase power handling. any of this sound right? a couple posts up someone recommended mills resistors and another brand. i will look at them, but i haven't seen any resistors with high power handling.

i guess what i'm asking is if my driver will probably never see any real power will a 10w do the trick or should i just assume the worst and always use better/higher dollar/watt resistors?
post #10 of 11 Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Two 1 ohm 10W resistors in series are essentially the equivalent of a 2 ohm 20W resistor. So are two 4 ohm 10W resistors in parallel. It is not exactly the same thing because even though the resistors have the same ratings one of them will have a little lower resistance and power dissipation will differ between the two. But it is close enough. The watt rating of a resistor is the amount of power the resistor is designed to dissipate continuously under certain environmental conditions. Exceed the rating for a short period and nothing may happen. Exceed it for an extended time and the device may fail. You don't need to consider Mills resistors unless you want non-inductive ones. Wire wound resistors are available in higher watt ratings at Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied Electronics and lots of other places.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-18-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

i checked out those sites and allied electronics seems the easiest to navigate. thanks for the info you guys are a great help
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page