Tall, thin tapped horn possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm considering building a tapped horn subwoofer. I've been reading through all of the various projects trying to find a suitable build (aka- one that the wife won't throw me out of the house for putting in the living room wink.gif). Can a tapped horn be made in a tall, slim form factor? I think something about 16" x 10" x 60" would look pretty nice. I know that the driver size would have to be limited (like an 8") to even fit, but could a modestly effective sub be built to these dims?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 66
That's a really small depth to try and accommodate all the turns needed. I think there's some plans out there for a TH with a single fold though that might be close to what you are looking for. I think it was something Deon (db-kicker) was working on when he was doing thehousewrecker- the chances of you getting the plans are slim though unless someone already had em, because Deon is dead now.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

That's a really small depth to try and accommodate all the turns needed. I think there's some plans out there for a TH with a single fold though that might be close to what you are looking for. I think it was something Deon (db-kicker) was working on when he was doing thehousewrecker- the chances of you getting the plans are slim though unless someone already had em, because Deon is dead now.

That's plenty of room for a small tapped horn. I'd suggest a few inches wider (12") so that you could load it with a 10 instead of an 8. There are a lot of questions that need to be answered before I can recommend a driver or design.

As far as the housewrecker plans? I'm the guy that drew em. That project certainly didn't die with Deon.

Hornresp Tutorials (By amateurs, for amateurs!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 18 Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, I figured as much but didn't know for sure. I just remember seeing a single fold super tall HW variant in that thread somewhere.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

lilmike- I'm considering building your T-6, but I'm thinking that something taller and thinner would look nicer in my living room. A tall black monolith might look pretty classy. I'm not looking for monster output; just something with usable output down to about 30.

I did come across a single fold tapped horn project by BigMouthDC using four 6.5" Anarchy drivers. Final dims were 9" x 12" x 91". I little taller than I was thinking, but quite a bit narrower. From reading through the Exodus 25Hz project thread, it sounds like the drivers need very little power to drive. Would I be able to get away with an old Harmon Kardon 60W per channel AVR in direct mode to drive the four? This would substancially lower my cost since I wouldn't have to budget for an amp. Then again, the four drivers would be about $250... A single 10" like the Alpine that you mentioned in the T-6 thread would be quite a bit cheaper.

Edit: Ah crap- now that I have a catchy name for this project, I'm going to have to move forward with this biggrin.gif. It will be a 2001 tribute: TMA-1 Monolith.

12" x 18" x ?
10" driver

I've got lots of learning to do...
post #6 of 18 Old 06-19-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Technically, the TMA monoliths had a fixed ratio of the dimensions, 1:4:9.

So - you'd either have to make a really big box to accommodate a 10 (1' deep, 4' wide, 9' tall) or use a 5" woofer to keep it at 60" tall.

More power is better. Small amps clip too soon.

post #7 of 18 Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

Technically, the TMA monoliths had a fixed ratio of the dimensions, 1:4:9.

So - you'd either have to make a really big box to accommodate a 10 (1' deep, 4' wide, 9' tall) or use a 5" woofer to keep it at 60" tall.

Yeah- I knew somebody would call me out on that one, but I can't exactly place a 1' x 4' x 9' sub in my living room and remain married. rolleyes.gif
post #8 of 18 Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa frank View Post

Yeah- I knew somebody would call me out on that one, but I can't exactly place a 1' x 4' x 9' sub in my living room and remain married. rolleyes.gif

Only reason I knew that was because I've already tried to fold a tapped horn into that shape.

post #9 of 18 Old 06-20-2013, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Someone had a monolith sub at burning man in 2009. I think it was 1*4*9 ft. I'm not sure what the insides were like.

I built an 11ft tall monolith that year, with speakers in it, but not much engineering behind the speakers. It was a frame covered in grill cloth with a 15" open baffle sub driver, and open baffle 6" 2-ways inside. "Open baffle" is a generous description; I really just screwed drivers into boards. smile.gif

-Max
post #10 of 18 Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

I found a design that matches my target dims pretty well (12" x 18" x 73"): http://www.cowanaudio.com/images/30Hz%20Tapped%20Horn_2.gif

Looks like an older design (from 2007) using a 12" Emminence driver. How much effect does swapping drivers have on a tapped horn? Would an Alpine SWS-12D4 work with a design like this?

I know that I am off in the weeds here. I tried following LilMike's hornresp tutorial, and even with an engineering degree and a minor in physics, I found it pretty difficult to follow. Admittedly, I haven't been able to dedicate much time into learning it yet. I'm sure if I could sit down and play with it some, it would make a lot more sence. Still, I think that I am better off following plans that are already done for my first DIY sub project.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa frank View Post

How much effect does swapping drivers have on a tapped horn?
The same as with any alignment, having the correct driver specs is critical to a good result. Also, tapped horns are far more finicky than other alignments where driver choice is concerned. Most amateur designers don't get tapped horns right. Yes, they may get 4 to 6dB higher sensitivity than the same driver in a reflex cab, but that's nothing to get excited about. 8 to 12dB is what you can and should be getting, but most don't, as they don't get the cab/driver matching as good as it should be.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #12 of 18 Old 06-21-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
http://www.volvotreter.de/th.htm

Listen. It's All Good.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
The Infinity folded horn I built a couple of years ago nearly matches the dimensions that you were looking for. It also will work very well with the el cheapo Infinity Reference 1260w or 1262w woofers.

I eventually replaced this horn with a pair of Alpine 1242's in an opposed sealed enclosure. This horn with a measly 500w could still put out more bass above 20hz than this pair of Alpines could with 2000 watts pushing them.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1329918/18hz-infinity-offset-horn-tower
post #14 of 18 Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

The Infinity folded horn I built a couple of years ago nearly matches the dimensions that you were looking for. It also will work very well with the el cheapo Infinity Reference 1260w or 1262w woofers.

I eventually replaced this horn with a pair of Alpine 1242's in an opposed sealed enclosure. This horn with a measly 500w could still put out more bass above 20hz than this pair of Alpines could with 2000 watts pushing them.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1329918/18hz-infinity-offset-horn-tower

Then why replace it? The <20hz response?
post #15 of 18 Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

Then why replace it? The <20hz response?

I had a bad case of builditis! I had to build something and I was looking for something that would be a bit less of an elephant in the room and I wanted the low bass as well. The sealed pair is less than half the size of the horn and looks much nicer.
I sold the horn to a buddy of mine that is looking to sell it off now. He lives in a duplex! biggrin.gif
post #16 of 18 Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
For WAF you could build it floor to ceiling and finish it like the walls, or smooth with trim paint so it looks like a column.

IMO would be an aesthetic improvement to typical plain drywall construction.

Sell it to her as a feature, not a bug.

Noah
post #17 of 18 Old 06-24-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Check out Paul's tapped horn - http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/rythmik-dual-opposed-tapped-horn-sub.html

Peter the Greek

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #18 of 18 Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
that frequency response is not so good,
but such was common in some earlier
tapped horn designs.

better options are available today.