How do DIY speakers compare to $1-2k speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a hard time finding a good comparison between DIY and factory prebuilt speakers.

Specifically I have been looking at the PSB Image T6 towers for around $1300 when I found the DIY forum and have been doing alot of reading here. Now I am re-thinking my choice and going with the Fusion-12's for my main fronts instead. Since I obviously can't go audition the Fusion's, how do I know how they will sound in comparison? If any one has experience between the two I would appreciate you opinion.

I am looking to put these in a home theater environment but I want them to be good for playing music as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi940 View Post

I have a hard time finding a good comparison between DIY and factory prebuilt speakers.

Specifically I have been looking at the PSB Image T6 towers for around $1300 when I found the DIY forum and have been doing alot of reading here. Now I am re-thinking my choice and going with the Fusion-12's for my main fronts instead. Since I obviously can't go audition the Fusion's, how do I know how they will sound in comparison? If any one has experience between the two I would appreciate you opinion.

I am looking to put these in a home theater environment but I want them to be good for playing music as well.
You can only go by what other people are saying. You may never hear of a direct comparison, but you may find similar comparisons. I didn't know what they'd sound like either, but I took a leap of faith and I'm extremely happy. Really damn happy. biggrin.gif I've built two sets of speakers. One is the Statements and the other is the SEOS12/TD12M's and they both sounded fantastic, but very different. My biggest surprise was how much better my SEOS12/TD12M's sound compared to my Klipsch RB-75's, which garnered rave reviews from publications when they came out. The klipsch now sound muddy to me and I though they were great for movies prior. That being said, there's no way to know for sure that you prefer them, but if you look around and read reviews you'll get an idea of what others think.

Edit/Additional: The only way I can describe the difference is that when listening to a Movie in HD, I felt that the SEOS/TD12M's sounded very real as in it was live and the Klipsch sound more like a recorded sound, if that makes sense. I hear more detail with the seos setup then with the klipsch.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #3 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Here's my take on it;

Once you do DIY, you won't feel the NEED to spend 4x the money on something pre-made.

Because for 4x the money, you can get a seriously awesome HT system.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
A lot of us in the DIY speaker community start with good intentions....

"Instead of buying $1500 speakers, I'm going to DIY a comparable speaker for $400"

This quickly turns into....

"Instead of buying $1500 speakers, I'm going to build a speaker that performs 10 times better for $1500"
binarysoldier likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

I'm currently looking at the billfitzmaurice David stereo floorstanders for mains..
post #6 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post

"Instead of buying $1500 speakers, I'm going to DIY a comparable speaker for $400"

"Instead of buying $1500 speakers, I'm going to build a speaker that performs 10 times better for $1500"

This pretty much sums it up..
post #7 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll just have to talk myself into taking that leap of faith. I really want something that sounds crystal clear and awesome but I'm constrained by funds and I'm worried i'll get something that I'll just end up replacing later. I guess I'll have to talk myself into taking the leap of faith and going DIY. Everyone seems to say the speakers they build sound awesome so I guess I'll just have to take their word for it.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post

Guilty. cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz View Post

This pretty much sums it up..

Which then turns into; if these sound this good now, how much better could they sound if I upgrade to this? biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #9 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 835
"I guess I'll just have to talk myself into taking that leap of faith. I really want something that sounds crystal clear and awesome but I'm constrained by funds and I'm worried i'll get something that I'll just end up replacing later."

one option is to buy something that you can afford now and enjoy it.

keep in mind that no matter what you buy, you will end up replacing
it with something else later when a better design comes along
and/or you have more money.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 PM

Liked: 11
There's one more option. Find fellow enthusiasts who live nearby, or go to a DIY meet and listen to a few (good) DIY builds, then make your conclusions. The Statements are a must to check out i think.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page