Biamping speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I know the fundamentals of biamping, however I cannot for the life of me find if there is a standard crossover frequency for receivers that offer a biamp feature? It doesn't mention it anywhere in my RXV667 / HTR-6063 manual... I am just wondering because I am going to build floorstanders, and it would save me time and money to know where the biamp crossover frequency is..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 260

I don't think your question makes any sense. I'm not real familiar with biamping but I thought the receiver would just output a full range signal and the speaker crossover would handle the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Receivers typically don't provide a crossover with their bi-amp feature. Bi-amping in this case means sending two full-bandwidth amp outputs to the same speaker where the are input to the speakers high-order crossovers. Doesn't really do too much IMO.
diaz likes this.
post #4 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

oh okay that makes sense, I was under the impression that there was a high-frequency side, and a low-frequency side. And that 1 amp would only put out the low frequencies, while the other amp would only put out the high frequencies. So in a way it would choose the crossover, without the need for a passive crossover in the speaker. But that makes sense
post #5 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 794
If you want an avr with an actual adjustable crossover for biamping there are some, like the Onkyo 818, which can be useful in a situation like you building your own speakers....
diaz likes this.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 06:07 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

If you want an avr with an actual adjustable crossover for biamping there are some, like the Onkyo 818, which can be useful in a situation like you building your own speakers....
are you sure about that?
as far as i know there's no avr or preamp that supports active bi-amping. there's no way to set the high and low crossover point other than the one for the subwoofer channel.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Check the manual, page 63. Also discussed in the onkyo 818 thread, think fairly early on, too.

post #8 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 06:18 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

my god, there is such receiver!
the onkyo 818 indeed have such function, named digital processing crossover network.
there's no features such as changing the crossover slope, crossover type, limited to only a few point and the tweeter level only range from -6db to +6db.

not full featured as a proper dsp but it will work. thanks for bringing this up.

post #9 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, for something that comes with your avr could be useful....

post #10 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I guess I'll have to find a crossover for the sub.. I hate hearing midrange through the sub frown.gif
post #11 of 16 Old 06-22-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz View Post

So I guess I'll have to find a crossover for the sub.. I hate hearing midrange through the sub frown.gif

If the receiver you are using has an LFE output then it most likely has a crossover setting which you can adjust for the sub. Most people typically set it at 80hz but you can mess around with it.

post #12 of 16 Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
When AVR manufacturers talk about bi-amping, almost always they are talking about sending two full-range amplified signals (minus the LFE) to the same main speaker. This is what I thought you were originally asking about. If you're talking about separating the LFE and low-bass from the other main and surround channels to send to a subwoofer, that is called bass management. Every receiver sold today with more than 2 channels has bass management.
diaz likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-23-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

If the receiver you are using has an LFE output then it most likely has a crossover setting which you can adjust for the sub. Most people typically set it at 80hz but you can mess around with it.

Yeah I mean for mains running without an external active sub
post #14 of 16 Old 06-23-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Check the manual, page 63. Also discussed in the onkyo 818 thread, think fairly early on, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paskal9 View Post

the onkyo 818 indeed have such function, named digital processing crossover network.
there's no features such as changing the crossover slope, crossover type, limited to only a few point and the tweeter level only range from -6db to +6db.

not full featured as a proper dsp but it will work. thanks for bringing this up.

You know what, I just got to playing with the PEQ in my amp - HTR6063/RXV667 - and it does EACH speaker individually. I can actually modify the PEQ of the biamped section as well, which essentially I have set at 100hz cutoff, and the regular left/right are cut off at 125hz which both overlap and fill the gap. I must say this makes quite the difference in sound, much smoother!
post #15 of 16 Old 06-23-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post

When AVR manufacturers talk about bi-amping, almost always they are talking about sending two full-range amplified signals (minus the LFE) to the same main speaker.

Thanks, didn't know that! I guess that's called passive biamping?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post

If you're talking about separating the LFE and low-bass from the other main and surround channels to send to a subwoofer, that is called bass management. Every receiver sold today with more than 2 channels has bass management.

Ok thanks. I have a feature called "extra bass" on my receiver and it sends all bass info to the main minus LFE, then the subwoofer gets the regular LFE and full bass as well. But through parametric EQ the mains can be modified.

On another note, if I set my amp to 5.1/Biamp, and select "no subwoofer", will it send the LFE to the mains? (EDIT: Yes, just searched the manual!)

Thanks for the help guys, just learning as much as I can smile.gif
post #16 of 16 Old 06-23-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by paskal9 View Post

Not being able to adjust slopes and the +/- 6db adjustment is not going to work for very many people using a compression driver, but I will say, it is a surprise feature.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page