post #91 of 211 Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

So each of my boxes contains 2 drivers wired in parallel for a total 2 ohm load. On paper - One channel of each IPR will drive one of the boxes, so 3000+ watts of full bandwidth continuous power available for each. When I was running the clone amp, I had 2200 burst watts per box available.

The LEDs aren't terribly bright at least, but it sure would be nice to be able to turn them on/off. I was talking to Brandon last night and he had an easy solution to snip the wires, hahaha.

Nice! smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 211 Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Nice looking amps, hopefully they and their Crest Audio brothers will become available in suitable numbers by late summer. Can't wait to read how they work for you.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #93 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Update: Got two of these amps in my posession now. I had the chance to hook one of them up last night to 2 of my subs, 4 drivers, in 2 ohm stereo. I run my subs 6-db hot, with Audyssey, and a +3DB LT. Sonically it sounded great - very similar to my Crown XLS5000 which I had just unhooked. Power wise - let me say that one of these amps in 2 ohm mode is too much power for 4 of the Dayton 18s. At about -5 or so with the volume with the Underworld Uzi scene playing the subs easily bottomed. eek.gif Since then I've been very respectful of the capability of this amp. smile.gif I continued playing with 10hz sine waves which had more force than I ever remembered hearing (actually more like feeling) before. Have not seen the clip lights nor will I be able to push it that far in this configuration.

In short - this amp seems to deliver raw, brute, clean power in a stupid light package. One of these amps and 8 x 8ohm (D4 SIs or so) would seem to be an ideal match. I'm going to later try the amp running 4 ohm stereo with all 8 subs running. It's full bandwidth rating is 'only' 2000rms/ch (0.1 THD) or 2450rms/ch (1%THD) but something tells me it will still be more than sufficient. smile.gif
popalock likes this.

post #94 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Awesome... Are their fans loud? Like...jet engine loud?

post #95 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Awesome... Are their fans loud? Like...jet engine loud?

Ah yes - should have addressed that in the last post. The fans aren't quiet by any means, but not sure if they're quite as loud as an unmodded clone or my XLS5000. I will have to get an SPL meter on there. They didn't seem unbearable to me, but then again I'm not listening to them in the same room. smile.gif

One other note -

I got to cranking it for about a half hour, and the case was barely room temperature. The fans did not appear to be any louder after the session, but then again I probably wasn't taxing it to it's full capability. By that point my ears were beat up, I needed to shower after my workout, and my wife came home. More playtime tomorrow night and this weekend! Since I've got two of these bad boys I'll give 8 ohm stereo and 4 ohm stereo a try.

post #96 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmm, may be a good option for the 4 subs I am planning (either Dayton or Mach 5 UXL-18; will take time to put it all together as I plan to do two at a time).

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #97 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

Ah yes - should have addressed that in the last post. The fans aren't quiet by any means, but not sure if they're quite as loud as an unmodded clone or my XLS5000. I will have to get an SPL meter on there. They didn't seem unbearable to me, but then again I'm not listening to them in the same room. smile.gif

One other note -

I got to cranking it for about a half hour, and the case was barely room temperature. The fans did not appear to be any louder after the session, but then again I probably wasn't taxing it to its full capability. By that point my ears were beat up, I needed to shower after my workout, and my wife came home. More playtime tomorrow night and this weekend! Since I've got two of these bad boys I'll give 8 ohm stereo and 4 ohm stereo a try.

Pics of internals? Would be nice if there was enough room in the casing to do an internal12v Trigger mod. I know you already have that covered, but I'd personally like to give an internal trigger mod a shot (with nathanj's help of course!).

I really haven't taken a moment to sit back and think about it until now, but yeah... This amp is going to be a huge deal. That warranty sounds so damn appealing...

Now, in the name of "science" all you have to do is give it the same test you gave your old Clone. Have one of your banna plugs vibrate out and touch the other channel at max volume. If it survives that...

Haha, J/K... No need to test Peavy's warranty unnecessarily.

post #98 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't taken them apart, but I did look in and there is a ton of room in the case. Funny enough the amp boards are actually mounted upside down and attached to the top cover. Since this guy has a legit warranty, I will avoid opening or poking around unless they tell me otherwise. tongue.gif

Re: the 'short' test - the manual does state that the amp is short circuit protected via DC short protection. From the manual:

"In the event of abnormal operating conditions, the IPR has built-in amplifier protection. Under conditions that would normally damage the power amplifier, the DC LED will illuminate and the amp will automatically attempt to restart to correct the condition."

Another point worth noting is the amp is circuit breaker protected, not fused like some other amps.

I won't be the first to intentionally test this feature, biggrin.gif but it's nice to know that that is built in and also backed by a (US) warranty.

Oh - for anyone potentially interested, there are 2 brand new units at regular price on ebay with free shipping right now. tongue.gif

post #99 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 06:53 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Oh, Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will wait to hear what you think about the 8 ohm stereo or 4 ohm stereo impressions...Even though I think I might like to be driver limited for one time in my life. I can't say I have ever been that.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #100 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 81
4ohm stereo would be nice. Also hoping that jumper cable is in there. I would assume it will be. Then I can go ahead and purchase my next amp. Although powering these 21's may need even more power in 4ohms. rolleyes.gif

post #101 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Oh, Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will wait to hear what you think about the 8 ohm stereo or 4 ohm stereo impressions...Even though I think I might like to be driver limited for one time in my life. I can't say I have ever been that.

I will probably try 8 ohm stereo first since I now have all 4 of my cabinets running straight back to my rack. If you run these guys in 2 ohm stereo per 4 drivers I assure you would not be amp limited. biggrin.gif Honestly the IDEAL scenario would probably be using D4 drivers in pairs running in 4 ohm stereo. That would be less distortion vs. 2 ohms and easier on the amp. That would still give 1000-1200 watts per sub of full bandwidth power but would require 2 amps for 8 subs. Even that might be enough to get you in trouble thermally if run for sine waves or heavy bass material. eek.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

4ohm stereo would be nice. Also hoping that jumper cable is in there. I would assume it will be. Then I can go ahead and purchase my next amp. Although powering these 21's may need even more power in 4ohms. rolleyes.gif

I don't see any mention of switching to 240V operation in the instructions, but maybe they have an export model out there. However - the manual does mention something about checking wiring for UK users. It would be odd that they would put that in without the support of 240. smile.gif

post #102 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I will probably try 8 ohm stereo first since I now have all 4 of my cabinets running straight back to my rack. If you run these guys in 2 ohm stereo per 4 drivers I assure you would not be amp limited. biggrin.gif Honestly the IDEAL scenario would probably be using D4 drivers in pairs running in 4 ohm stereo. That would be less distortion vs. 2 ohms and easier on the amp. That would still give 1000-1200 watts per sub of full bandwidth power but would require 2 amps for 8 subs. Even that might be enough to get you in trouble thermally if run for sine waves or heavy bass material. eek.gif
I don't see any mention of switching to 240V operation in the instructions, but maybe they have an export model out there. However - the manual does mention something about checking wiring for UK users. It would be odd that they would put that in without the support of 240. smile.gif

I got mine last night and I really like the design. As gorilla mentioned, its seems like there is plenty of room inside and the two fans blow in from the side but have openings in the front and back. This is good for those of us putting them in a rack. I have mine racked but don't have a 20 amp plug yet (not a hard issue for me to resolve). I definitely prefer the dark grey/black exterior to some of the inuke/crown colors. I can't comment on sound but gorilla has me very nervous. I think I would prefer to be amp limited. wink.gif I think the IPR2 5000 would be perfect if it were available.

I noticed on the box they have the power spec marked w/ other options ... I would guess you would need to order the appropriate one (ie, 240v) based on your application.

Gorilla - Are you running yours off a AVR with only unbalanced outs? Any issues with gain/voltage? If so, are you just using a RCA to XLR?
post #103 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

There wont be a switch for 240Vac. Many of the amps I order from Crest and others have a jumper cable inside for use on 110vac. Take the jumper off and it can be used on 240vac. I will send JD an email if no one see's the cable inside the amp. He designed the other smaller amps I know of and he may have designed these also. Last he told me they all had the jumper cable but I did not ask about the 7500/lite series.

Either way its been very hard trying to find a single amp that can power a stereo 4 ohm pair of 21's. To scared to buy a clone.

post #104 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

There wont be a switch for 240Vac. Many of the amps I order from Crest and others have a jumper cable inside for use on 110vac. Take the jumper off and it can be used on 240vac. I will send JD an email if no one see's the cable inside the amp. He designed the other smaller amps I know of and he may have designed these also. Last he told me they all had the jumper cable but I did not ask about the 7500/lite series.

Either way its been very hard trying to find a single amp that can power a stereo 4 ohm pair of 21's. To scared to buy a clone.

A fp14k clone would obliterate two 21's in 4ohm stereo...

post #105 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

there is a place on pcb that says 120v switchable with a odd heatshrinked wire that looks out of place
post #106 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc View Post

I got mine last night and I really like the design. As gorilla mentioned, its seems like there is plenty of room inside and the two fans blow in from the side but have openings in the front and back. This is good for those of us putting them in a rack. I have mine racked but don't have a 20 amp plug yet (not a hard issue for me to resolve). I definitely prefer the dark grey/black exterior to some of the inuke/crown colors. I can't comment on sound but gorilla has me very nervous. I think I would prefer to be amp limited. wink.gif I think the IPR2 5000 would be perfect if it were available.

I noticed on the box they have the power spec marked w/ other options ... I would guess you would need to order the appropriate one (ie, 240v) based on your application.

Gorilla - Are you running yours off a AVR with only unbalanced outs? Any issues with gain/voltage? If so, are you just using a RCA to XLR?

How many subs are you running? You could always run the amp in 8 ohm mode if you want to limit power depending on your configuration.

I'm running unbalanced from my receiver to my minidsp. I'm actually still using the unbalanced in/outs (RCA) of the minidsp. They're rated at 2V RMS and seem to be more than sufficient to drive the amps I have. I can dial up/down the inputs and output signal from my mini as well.

Quote:

If you want crazy 4 ohm power for each sub you could always run something like a CV5000 bridged to each one. How much power do they need for full tilt? I know they are rated at 1200W but I'm sure many here run much more than that. One of these may even do the job in 4 ohm stereo.

post #107 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Why not a pair of Inuke3000's bridged, or Ep4000 bridged?
Or save yourself some cash and get a 6000 witch is already 2 bridged 3000's inside of it.

That will give you around 1900-2000w RMS per FTW-21. That's probably what I'm going to do when the pre-orders come in..
post #108 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How many subs are you running? You could always run the amp in 8 ohm mode if you want to limit power depending on your configuration.

I'm running four (4) Dayton's and a single IPR2-7500. So I would be at 2ohm stereo like you. I will probably just turn it down and be happy to have the headroom. biggrin.gif
If I were to run it in 8 ohm, I would be kicking myself and asking why I didn't save some money and get an EP4k or something. tongue.gif
post #109 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I have about 3000watts going to one now. I think another 3000watts would be good. I have never really been able to punish these subs yet because I have the one amp powering the one sub bridged. Dont want to have another amp just for the other 21. I would rather have just one amp. Simulation says I need 4000watts to hit Xmax at 10hz. I am not a very big Behringer fan. Will be trying a few amps out in the next few months but would rather have something like this price range. Dont have the huge bank account like others on this forum.

Either way this amp sounds awesome for the money.

post #110 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

A fp14k clone would obliterate two 21's in 4ohm stereo...

Oh no it wont. I've run my 4 to clipping a few times on my FTW's and they ate it up. My Malx- 21's also can take it and do regularly biggrin.gif No ill effect yet.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #111 of 211 Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Got mine in the rack .. just need to finish the last couple items on my box so I can fire this baby up! :SCARED:

post #112 of 211 Old 07-19-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

"In the event of abnormal operating conditions, the IPR has built-in amplifier protection. Under conditions that would normally damage the power amplifier, the DC LED will illuminate and the amp will automatically attempt to restart to correct the condition."

"restart to correct the condition" - I guess they figure the amp has enough juice to just melt away the offending shorted items.

Noah
post #113 of 211 Old 07-22-2013, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"restart to correct the condition" - I guess they figure the amp has enough juice to just melt away the offending shorted items.

Nanomending technology.

Page 18 of the owners manual.
post #114 of 211 Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Come on Gorilla .. updates? tongue.gif
post #115 of 211 Old 07-22-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ask and ye shall receive. biggrin.gif

This weekend I spent a bit of time dialing in the minidsp and really cranking on these guys - I remain impressed! I spent every bit of an hour at unreasonable volumes and they never got above room temperature - each amp in 2 ohm stereo with all subs blasting. Since I'm sub limited at the moment, they were simply laughing at me, begging for more punishment.

Bass I love you was pumped at silly volumes and sounded fantastic, especially the super low notes that seem to move the couch. biggrin.gif

I also spent some time with omnimic and measured these guys flat down to 6hz (like my clone) in my room without any boost. This speaks more to the characteristics of my room, but there is definitely not any rolloff down low going on.

Does this mean I have to buy more subs now to use the amps to their full potential? Dammit!! biggrin.gif

post #116 of 211 Old 07-22-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah - Paulie, any playtime with yours yet?? Be careful with those things!!

post #117 of 211 Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Andrew, this is in your basement with all 8 Dayton drivers?

post #118 of 211 Old 07-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Are you running 2 of the duals per channel? That is a lot of power into a 2 ohm load, impressive that it remains cool. Lots of current passing through the amp. I guess there is no need to bridge with this much power.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #119 of 211 Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Liked: 15
Sounds great, I can't wait for mine. Pauleyc your rack looks pretty nice.
post #120 of 211 Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

Are you running 2 of the duals per channel? That is a lot of power into a 2 ohm load, impressive that it remains cool. Lots of current passing through the amp. I guess there is no need to bridge with this much power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Andrew, this is in your basement with all 8 Dayton drivers?

1 dual per channel, 2 amps in total. I doubt one amp would have any trouble at all driving eight d4 drivers.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Cerwin Vega Cv 5000 High Performance Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread - Ep4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page