another pair of microwreckers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 06-26-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
since im building yet another pair of micro wreckers i figured id start a new thread, this time ill try to get more pictures of the assembly for anyone thinking about building some of these.

this pair is also getting alpine type s's , one day i may upgrade them all to the kicker cvx's

waiting for my helper to araive at work so he can help me load all the wood in the truck.i went down to my local lumber/hardware store yesterday and had them cut me up enough to build 2 cabs, they finished them up late last night after i was already home from work

total cost was 200 bucks for the 5 sheets of 3/4 osb , all the cutting + 3 pounds of screws and the glue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
can you do me a favor and pm me the cutlist?
post #3 of 27 Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

pm me ur email and ill send u the whole package that lilmike emailed me

i got the first box layed out and about to layout the second box , once both are layed out ill start taking pictures for u guys of the assembly
post #4 of 27 Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

You've got a PM.

No significant changes to the plans since the initial revisions to make it possible to build, but no proper measurements yet either.

I did get my uMik working properly Monday, so at least that project is sorted out. I hope to get my "new" impedance measurement setup done in the next few days too.

If I can get a couple of days where I can go play in my shop without too many interruptions, I should have MicroWrecker #2 ready to be measured.

Oh -a quick comment. The driver hole isn't centered on the baffle - the cutout is 8" from the throat end. Evidently that isn't exactly clear in the drawings or plans. I need to add that information somewhere.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-26-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

Oh -a quick comment. The driver hole isn't centered on the baffle - the cutout is 8" from the throat end. Evidently that isn't exactly clear in the drawings or plans. I need to add that information somewhere.

crap how signifigant is that speake rcutout placement , i mean my other ones are all centered and i centered these , well i didnt get the second box done today so i can fix that one ,i cant imagine it making a huge difference as with the cutouts centered these things sound badass

i took a bunch of pictures , when i get home tonight ill orginaize them resize them and post a step by step assembly with the pics
post #6 of 27 Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

You've got mail.

Not a huge difference, but they actually get better. Sorry that wasn't more clear in the plans.

I'll make some edits tonight and send updates.
post #7 of 27 Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You've got mail.

Not a huge difference, but they actually get better. Sorry that wasn't more clear in the plans.

I'll make some edits tonight and send updates.

ok thanks, if i can figur eout how to get them all apart without damaging them i will move the cutout in all of them , its really hard to belive they get even better

btw i can wait to unleash all 8 at once at war volume, only downside i dont know if my building will survive that
post #8 of 27 Old 06-27-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

ok i didnt have a chance to get the pics up last night hopefully tonight when i get out of work

on a side note i fired up 6 microwreckers @ 425W rms each and the results were scary , managed to knock down a few celing tiles and break a few more windows , hopefulyl the video i took with my iphone dont sound like **** , once it processed on youtube ill post it up
post #9 of 27 Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
on a side note i fired up 6 microwreckers @ 425W rms each and the results were scary , managed to knock down a few celing tiles and break a few more windows , hopefulyl the video i took with my iphone dont sound like **** , once it processed on youtube ill post it up

Looking forward to this!
post #10 of 27 Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

not even at war volume, going to be replacing some windows soon lol
song i was playing was rack city by tyga
post #11 of 27 Old 06-27-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davece View Post

ok thanks, if i can figur eout how to get them all apart without damaging them i will move the cutout in all of them , its really hard to belive they get even better

btw i can wait to unleash all 8 at once at war volume, only downside i dont know if my building will survive that

Might also be able to just add a block to the throat end and fill the extra space. That will correct most of the problem. Let me take a look at that option before you try to tear the cabinets apart.

If you cut the blocking in half, you should be able to install it through the driver mounting hole.
post #12 of 27 Old 06-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Lilmike, can you send me the plans for the microwrecker? I am looking forward to the offical thread when you launch. With the number already being built I bet it will blow up.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

post #13 of 27 Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

Lilmike, can you send me the plans for the microwrecker? I am looking forward to the offical thread when you launch. With the number already being built I bet it will blow up.

You've got a PM.

The full thread will come soon. I just don't have the time at the moment.
post #14 of 27 Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

im still workign on getting thos epictures up its been 102+ here all day and im still at work , hell its 7pm and thermometer outside still reads 99*

i will say one thing i deffinatly need to install casters on these things even out of osb they are heavy , sure glad i didnt use 3/4 mdf lol
post #15 of 27 Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Might also be able to just add a block to the throat end and fill the extra space. That will correct most of the problem. Let me take a look at that option before you try to tear the cabinets apart.

If you cut the blocking in half, you should be able to install it through the driver mounting hole.
Confused.....what area are we talking about?

I think I must have centered my whole cutout also but will have to look.
post #16 of 27 Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Confused.....what area are we talking about?

I think I must have centered my whole cutout also but will have to look.

hes talking about the area were the 22 1/2 x 1 3/4 piece goes i think its 1 3/4

ok its 9pm and im just now about ready to head home been here since 7am , got more vids and all thos epics to post when i get back to my house
post #17 of 27 Old 06-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
T
Quote:

You've got a PM.

The full thread will come soon. I just don't have the time at the moment.

Thanks, I truely appreciate all that you do for the diy community.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.  Leonardo DaVinci

post #18 of 27 Old 06-28-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, I took a peek at things and worked with the drawing and model so that I could calculate the effects of the throat end errors due to a centered driver cutout.

If you've built one of these and you centered the driver cutout on the baffle, you didn't build what I did.

The baffle in the one I built looks like this:

Sorry that this wasn't conveyed more clearly in the instructions, it is exactly what was drawn in the sketchup file though.

If you've built these and you centered the cutout on the baffle, that's OK. As it turns out, the fix is easy, and the differences between the fixed version and what I built are minimal.

To "fix" it, you can just add a ~3/4" thick strip to fill in the throat end of the horn. If you cut the strip in half, the pieces can be inserted through the driver cutout, and a couple screws and some PL will hold things in place.

The strip should be about 1-13/16" wide, although you might have to bevel it a touch to make it fit snug. Measure your builds to be sure. This won't quite fill the throat end, but the 1/8 inch or so remaining is not that big of a deal.

The differences may or may not be audible, but should be evident in a measurement, especially in the impulse.
post #19 of 27 Old 06-28-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK, I took a peek at things and worked with the drawing and model so that I could calculate the effects of the throat end errors due to a centered driver cutout.

If you've built one of these and you centered the driver cutout on the baffle, you didn't build what I did.

The baffle in the one I built looks like this:

Sorry that this wasn't conveyed more clearly in the instructions, it is exactly what was drawn in the sketchup file though.

If you've built these and you centered the cutout on the baffle, that's OK. As it turns out, the fix is easy, and the differences between the fixed version and what I built are minimal.

To "fix" it, you can just add a ~3/4" thick strip to fill in the throat end of the horn. If you cut the strip in half, the pieces can be inserted through the driver cutout, and a couple screws and some PL will hold things in place.

The strip should be about 1-13/16" wide, although you might have to bevel it a touch to make it fit snug. Measure your builds to be sure. This won't quite fill the throat end, but the 1/8 inch or so remaining is not that big of a deal.

The differences may or may not be audible, but should be evident in a measurement, especially in the impulse.

not a big deal , after tongihts gig ill fix them, funny thing is i was just setting up about an hour ago and had 6 of them running got the cops called on me, might have to bring it down to just 4 for the night but we will see how it goes , right now i have 3 per side corner loaded

that is if the thunder storm it looks like were going to get hit with dont knock out the power
post #20 of 27 Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Wait I am confused now. From what I can see the hole is still centered top to bottom yes?

If its just the Left to Right is not centered like the picture then I built mine exactly like the picture. I think if you made the cutout completely centered then you would not have the odd cutout piece that starts at the beginning of the horn on the 22.5" x 1 3/4 piece.
post #21 of 27 Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Wait I am confused now. From what I can see the hole is still centered top to bottom yes?

If its just the Left to Right is not centered like the picture then I built mine exactly like the picture. I think if you made the cutout completely centered then you would not have the odd cutout piece that starts at the beginning of the horn on the 22.5" x 1 3/4 piece.

Precisely.

Some builders were centering the driver cutout on the baffle (both top to bottom and left to right), not placing it 8" from the throat end on the baffle centerline as I intended.
post #22 of 27 Old 06-29-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Precisely.

Some builders were centering the driver cutout on the baffle (both top to bottom and left to right), not placing it 8" from the throat end on the baffle centerline as I intended.

haha quess i should heave checked the sketchup drawing better , i just used the sketchup for the internal dimensions and just assumed the cutout was centered.

ill use the strips and some sprayfoam to ket them filled though
post #23 of 27 Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Shouldn't even need the sprayfoam.
post #24 of 27 Old 06-30-2013, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Shouldn't even need the sprayfoam.
ok i just figured id use it to fill the last lil bit of leftover space but i wont even bother then , i have a few cans of that stuff laying around so figured if it would make a difference id use it to fill in the last lil bit of space.

since i dont have to work today ill prolly get up off my butt and get those pics and videos sorted and posted later on today
post #25 of 27 Old 08-12-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

i figure u guys might get a kick out of this , put 3 of them firing into a hallway leading into a 5,000sft room
post #26 of 27 Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Nice flex!
post #27 of 27 Old 09-03-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter