SEOS Tempest 12 vs Cheap Thrill - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 87 Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
yeah, two THT's will cover the bass department lol. that will be a nice setup. a ton of performance per dollar for sure.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
lol, that they do... quick question before I hit the "order button" on PE

it lists TWO of the 20uf capacitors and one of the 1.5 capacitors on the spreadsheet on DIYSOUNDGROUP... but the PICTURE seems to show 3 different sized capacitors (unless the picture is just making them out to be different. I just wanted to make sure I was doubling up on the20uf capacitors or whether it was a mistype that hadn't been corrected.. (the one in the middle looks slightly smaller). here's the picture for reference

post #63 of 87 Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 401
That photo was originally taken for the Karma-15. Just order the parts that it says to order on the Cheap Thrills page and you'll be good to go.
post #64 of 87 Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

ahh, thanks Eric. I'm putting in the order now. I"m stoked now biggrin.gif. it's taken me over a year of researching and waffling but I'm ready !!!

EDIT: Order has been placed both at DIYSOUNDGROUP and PE biggrin.gif!~!!!!!
post #65 of 87 Old 07-15-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hey Erich,

Any updates on the flatpacks for the Cheap Thrills speaker kits?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
post #66 of 87 Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 PM

Liked: 25
Well, I got the cheap thrills hooked up today in my shop being pushed off a single channel of an ep4000 and all I can say is holy hell loud. Had a set of Polk RTA-12's hooked up before these in the same spot and although those speakers still sounded great would reach their limits long before these CT's do. Every time someone listened to them they would always say how clear it sounded.
Its been awhile since I listened to my tempest for music but at first listen they sound quite similar really... I honestly can't say I'd choose one over the other but the CT's were considerably cheaper so I'd likely go with them if size wasn't an issue.

Only issue I have now is that I run out of bass when I start playing the CT's really loud... one 18 isn't enough think I'm going to need 3 more. It never ends....
post #67 of 87 Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

The CT is the best deal going if you don't mind the size. I have one Cheap Thrill run off a Lepia amp pushing about 10 watts to the speaker. They are really efficient and I can't believe you're running it with the EP4000, I'm guessing you could get by with a lot less power. wink.gif

The designer didn't want any donation on this one, but I really should set something up.
post #68 of 87 Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

The CT is the best deal going if you don't mind the size. I have one Cheap Thrill run off a Lepia amp pushing about 10 watts to the speaker. They are really efficient and I can't believe you're running it with the EP4000, I'm guessing you could get by with a lot less power. wink.gif

The designer didn't want any donation on this one, but I really should set something up.

hah, well I'm using a cheap pyle pre/pro amp and the speaker outputs literally fried but the pre-outs still work so I use one channel to run both speakers and then one for a sub currently... Its a bit excessive but even still the amp clip lights were coming on before the speaker was tapping out but it was wayyy to loud in a 4000sqft shop.

I built the boxes with the help of my father in his A/C'ed shop and hooked it up to his little radio to test them and it was quite amazing the sensitivity difference also... 10 on the dial was quite loud with the CT while you could barely hear the speakers that came with it.
post #69 of 87 Old 08-03-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Finished the cabinets with the help of a friend who just happens to be a pretty great cabinet guy by trade. I don't suppose this really qualifies as DIY since really the only thing I did was draw the plan in Sketchup for him.

Cabinets are piano black gloss finish on birch.

On to the crossover this week. Doing that myself ( I haven't soldered anything in years).
post #70 of 87 Old 08-03-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I am seriously bummed that I missed the Celestion 15 buyout opportunity! I was seriously wanting to do a build with a Seos12/Celestion15/DNA360 for my 4 surrounds! Does anyone know if or when Parts Express will get some more, or if there are any other places that carry them?
post #71 of 87 Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 808
the TF1525 appears to be its replacement.

http://celestion.com/product/99/tf1525/

frequency response and impedance sweep look pretty darn close to the buyout driver BS-15300 8ohm.

both are high qts and would probably work quite similarly if that is what you are looking for.

similar sensitivity and roughly the same top end rolloff.

you might ask bill if it is close enough to be a direct replacement.

street price appears to be around $95 or so, but who knows what you might get if you ask for a discount. :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #72 of 87 Old 08-04-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 808
I wonder if what bill was hearing that he liked so much about that driver is the result of the small coil and therefore low normalized inductance. the impedance sweep doesn't arch up very much at all. almost looks like a more sophisticated motor with shorting rings and such.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #73 of 87 Old 08-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
That might be part of it, I don't know. I also liked the 10" Advent woofer earlier on when used with at QSC waveguide. A characteristic of both the Celestion buyout and the Advent 10" woofer is that they roll off smoothly at the high end without massive breakup peaks to mess with, makes the crossover easy and not needing to be too sharp. That was part of why the CT was so cheap to do, too.

The nice thing about the overall sound of these is how the waveguides and large woofers blend, crossover area isn't noticeable at all. Very clear sound, but unlike most "crystal clear" speaker sounds (which are crystal only in the treble) the sound is as clear in the midrange and upper bass, too. The sound seems to not come from the speaker. TD15 can do that too, of course, and probably the big JBLs, but the price difference between that and the Celestion woofers (particularly the buyout) is a lot.

BTW, I only designed the crossover for the CT. Erich had the concept, did the box and baffle sizing and layout and did all the dusty and heavy work. I wanted him to make it 12cuft so it could play ported to 32Hz! Because I wouldn't be the one who had to carry it....
post #74 of 87 Old 08-05-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

the TF1525 appears to be its replacement.

http://celestion.com/product/99/tf1525/

frequency response and impedance sweep look pretty darn close to the buyout driver BS-15300 8ohm.

They are close, but not 100% the same. The Karma-15 was designed with that Celestion woofer before the buyouts came along.
post #75 of 87 Old 08-06-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are close, but not 100% the same. The Karma-15 was designed with that Celestion woofer before the buyouts came along.
So can the TF1525 be used in the same enclosure and with the same crossover as the CT? I would love to use one of these TF1525's in a Seos-12/DNA360 for use as my surrounds. Heck, I may order some of these just to play with and to sharpen my active crossover skills!
post #76 of 87 Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any hope of a Cheap Thrill with the 15" SOES? Any hypothesis on if that would improve the design or just be different?
post #77 of 87 Old 08-11-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT cOz View Post

Any hope of a Cheap Thrill with the 15" SOES? Any hypothesis on if that would improve the design or just be different?

There has been speculation that the Seos-15 when paired with a BMS-4550 might possibly be a little better, but most consider the Seos-12 and Seos-15 to be pretty close in terms of performance, especially with the DNA-360.
post #78 of 87 Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The woofers for the Cheap Thrill speaker were sold out at Parts Express. They won't be getting any more of those woofers in because they were a buy out.
post #79 of 87 Old 08-11-2013, 02:33 PM

Liked: 10
I bought three before they were gone, so I will most likely end up making the 12" CT for my LCR.

Those prices do make you wonder what is possible if you were to buy in bulk. Crowd Source funded speaker project, anyone?
post #80 of 87 Old 08-11-2013, 02:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT cOz View Post

I bought three before they were gone, so I will most likely end up making the 12" CT for my LCR.

Those prices do make you wonder what is possible if you were to buy in bulk. Crowd Source funded speaker project, anyone?

I'm in biggrin.gif
post #81 of 87 Old 08-16-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Props to Bill Waslo.

I have finished my Cheap Thrill build and these are everything I had hoped for. I set them up in my basement theater this afternoon and have enjoyed everything I have listened to thus far. Listening to Finnish classical guitarist Timo Korhonen I can hear the faint rustle of his clothes and his occasional breathing as he plays. (Most classical guitarist can't sit still as they play). I watched the 2009 Star Trek release and heard background noise on the bridge in several scenes I don't believe I noticed in previous viewings (I know, could be placebo).

I would not characterize the highs as harsh, and would characterize the mid-range as a little dark and very pleasing.

It's been fun. Up next are Fusion 8 for surrounds.

Willie
post #82 of 87 Old 08-17-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
They look awesome Willie. Great job!

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #83 of 87 Old 08-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
That finish is out of this world Willie! Great job!
post #84 of 87 Old 08-21-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finish was done with a tinted water based conversion varnish. I am lucky enough to have a friend who is a cabinet guy by trade.
post #85 of 87 Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:

The woofers for the Cheap Thrill speaker were sold out at Parts Express. They won't be getting any more of those woofers in because they were a buy out.

What's a good value alternative right now ? Or then best next step up option ?

Was it determined you can just use the new model Celestion instead ?

Or should I look at alternate option?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #86 of 87 Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What's a good value alternative right now ? Or then best next step up option ?

Was it determined you can just use the new model Celestion instead ?

Or should I look at alternate option?

if I'm correct the celestion alternative (TF1525) that Bill pointed out was the same driver that was used in the Karma 15 ... basically make the cheap thrills a Karma 15... I'm not sure if the Karma 15 was a step down from the CT (besides have 1mm less xmax on the woofer) or if it was a modified Karma 15 and the cheap buy out made it a better bang for your buck than the Karma 15. you'd have to ask Bill

I'm wondering how the Celestion TF1525-E would work in there. same Xmax as the buyout driver, and nearly the same price as the 1525 ... just don't know enough about the other specs to see if it's compatible.
post #87 of 87 Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
I think I'd like to use DNA 360 anyways instead of 350

It's not much more - and it seems better right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

Fusion-12 is $384 with flat pack. It looks like the Cheap Thrill will run around $300 with the flat pack (and crossover components).

Are they close enough performers that the ~$85 per speaker savings is warranted?

I would love hear about this too. Anyone heard both? Or have an opinion ?
Quote:

So which is better assuming your budget was unlimited? (Not asking about value, let's assume both cost $1- which is a better choice ?)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Jbl L890ch 4 Way High Performance 8 Inch Dual Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page