Seeking SEOS & Subwoofer suggestions before next phase of HT construction - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 07-09-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's where I'm at so far:

I would like to install three identical speakers for the LCRs behind the screen wall--if not identical speakers for all seven speakers planned. I should sell or move to another room the Paradigms since they won't play to reference and the Studio CC (current center) would be a week link for my goals. I'm wondering if one of the eight inch designs would sound/perform better. I want to build columns(soon) to house the surrounds, and as suggested earlier, larger surrounds would be a waste on my budget.

Most of my electronics are aging, but some pieces could still be worth selling on the used market. My newest receiver is a Marantz SR 6005 which should be enough to drive any of the SEOS designs to reference.

I'd like to stay with US made drivers, but will stray for best sound/value, if its worth it.

The benefit of this research, besides making a well informed decision, is I'm saving a little the longer it takes to make a decision.

Thanks to all for the info so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was undecided at first for many of the same reasons. The difference being I was only doing LCR's and will only have AVR power. I chose a driver from AE for midbass and the SEOS12/DNA360 option for the top end. Although they are receiving the finishing touches right now, I can say I am blown away. I hooked the CV-120's I had up for a few days as well as the BA CR85's and the difference in quality, clarity, and output is huge. If I had the opportunity to do it all again and had the space, I would have done them all identical. I really haven't looked back. The combination I went with will easily take the amount of power you have. You could shrink the enclosure way down if you wanted to go sealed if space is an issue. I wish you could hear them. My first choice was the Fusion Sentinel's for LCR duty, but the AE mid was too tempting to pass up. You can pick any of the smaller offerings for surround duty that meet all your requirements.
post #33 of 40 Old 07-09-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I do wish I could hear them. Did you just swap out a driver for an existing project? I thought I had my final system with the Paradigm Studio rig with over $3.5k invested in speakers and that was more than 25% off of MSRP, if I remember correctly
post #34 of 40 Old 07-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Here is my build.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461749/seos-12-ae-td12m-project

I will have almost that same amount invested that when it is all said and done. 4-8330's (surrounds), 3-SEOS 12/DNA360/AE TD12M's (LCR), 4-18" Fi Q HT's on subwoofer duty.
post #35 of 40 Old 07-09-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Great build and I had already read almost all of it--didnt realize it was yours until you provided the link. Did you get a chance to listen to any of the SEOS projects before deciding to customize? That AE driver looks very well built and I'm a sucker for casted frames over stamped. I would be inclined to be a beneficiary of your well documented build process if I too could jump on a group buy for that woofer.
post #36 of 40 Old 07-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo_envy View Post

Great build and I had already read almost all of it--didnt realize it was yours until you provided the link. Did you get a chance to listen to any of the SEOS projects before deciding to customize? That AE driver looks very well built and I'm a sucker for casted frames over stamped. I would be inclined to be a beneficiary of your well documented build process if I too could jump on a group buy for that woofer.

I didn't have the option to audition any of the SEOS based speakers before I made my decision to buy. I will say I have hundreds of PM's to the AVS members listed in the thread. I picked the brains of several people that had taken the plunge on this exact design with their own personal touches and began to create my own. They were always there to give me guidance and information even after all of my emails.

John at AE makes very impressive drivers. There is an option for a black phase plug if that is your cup of tea. As for the price increase post the GB, it was minimal. If I remember correctly, ~$20, so I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor as long as it is in the budget. The have exceeded my expectations.

If you do decide to go that route, I hope what I came up with is of some value to you in your build.
post #37 of 40 Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo_envy View Post

In my original post I forgot to mention the system will be used for 40% movies, 30% concert DVDs and SACD/DVD-A, 20% TV sports, and 10% Wii.

I am interested in the bass horns for their efficiency since I'm house power limited and pulling another circuit would be a PITA; however, I'm up for the task if its worth the reward of multiple sealed subs and tons of power. To my ears, my single JL Audio 13W6 in a sealed boxed crushed (both in SQ and "feel") the two ported 12s I had in my Jetta--if that helps with any of the suggestions.

Is there anyone between Richmond and Northern VA willing to show off/demo their DIY speakers/subs?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

If you are willing to venture down to Western NC, I would be happy to demo my SEOS and AE TD12x build. If you like them enough, you might persuade me into leaving with them as I have several other speakers to mess around with right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw View Post

Either approach can work. Opposing drivers in a manifold tend to cancel vibration; reducing physical demands on the wall. Drivers on a flat baffle will shake the wall without mercy...unless you brace the heck out of the wall. (My baffle is heavily braced with 2x6's tied directly to the concrete wall behind it.)

Everytime I look at that I still just don't understand what I am seeing...haha

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #38 of 40 Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the offer. PM sent.
post #39 of 40 Old 07-13-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

You can actually do a lot smaller, 200 cu ft for 4 drivers. Here is a comparison between 550cu ft and 200cu ft, both with 1500w.

src="http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/234349/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL" style="; width: 500px; height: 263px">

You can go as small as you want but the smaller you go, the less output you get down low and QTC also rises. People recommend that you stay close to a QTC of .7. Adding polyfill or fiberglass can also lower the QTC.

For subs this looks very impressive and I'm good with the cost. How hard is it to get this right? Build a wall 2"-3" out from the front of the room, install manifolds at 25% height and width, and just carve out an alcove to place the LCRs behind and to the sides of the screen. I'm sure this over simplification will make some cringe. I may have to find out how much it would cost to get it designed for me. As suggested before, this sounds like a great idea, it's just that I'm not sure I have the huevos for fear of deploying it wrong. The sealed route might take me too long to achieve my goals with limited funds and further delay the mains and surrounds. However, I don't think I have ever experienced the performance the experts here write about, although, with a generous offer from an AVSer it appears that I will soon. I can't wait--it's hard to imagine the exponential gains that can be achieved over what I spent on my current system.
post #40 of 40 Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

My bad--I meant 2 feet to 3 feet to create ~ 250 cubic feet of air space for IB subs.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Paradigm Studio Cc 590

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page