A 3 way 99db multi configurable SEOS design - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > A 3 way 99db multi configurable SEOS design
pitviper33's Avatar pitviper33 10:44 AM 02-06-2014
Based on Tux's comments, I definitely think ported is the way to go.

Are the triangular ports tough to accomplish with a flat pack? I actually really liked them cosmetically. They helped create a unique look that is quite nice to my eye.

Rebel975's Avatar Rebel975 12:36 AM 02-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I'm still not sure about flat packs for these because I really don't know what the demand is yet.]

I will buy one of the kits if there is a flatpack for it. I want to use it as a center. smile.gif
Trepidati0n's Avatar Trepidati0n 04:06 PM 02-07-2014
You can ditch my preference for a bit. The AVS team put out a too tempting price on the 50ES B-stock. Cannot resist!
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 08:33 PM 02-09-2014
The photos never seem to look very good after they're uploaded to the site, but I guess they're good enough.

chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 09:13 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:

The photos never seem to look very good after they're uploaded to the site, but I guess they're good enough.

If you used a light tan color for background with some lighting the pics would be nicer.... but does it really matter ... nope.

Will assembled crossovers be eventually available ?

Great looking waveguide selection page now. Awesome as always Erich !
Anthony_Gomez's Avatar Anthony_Gomez 09:29 PM 02-09-2014
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but how much baffle step is there on this design? Not sure if it is a true WTMMW or a 3.5 way with full baffle step compensation by way of the second 10".
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 10:03 PM 02-09-2014
Darn, I just noticed that the baffle is upside down in the tower photo. rolleyes.gif

I set everything up and took the first round of photos, then realized I forgot to put the mids in the picture. rolleyes.gif So I had to quickly take both photos again.......obviously putting the baffle upside down the second time. Luckily I left in a hurry, so it's still sitting out for another shot tomorrow.
dtsdig's Avatar dtsdig 04:59 AM 02-10-2014
Oh man! I've been following this thread since the beginning but now that these kits are actually available, I've really got to figure out how to make some money to fund them!
Tux, Erich, great job you guys!
Fatshaft's Avatar Fatshaft 05:29 AM 02-10-2014
Erich,
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 50

I just placed my order after seeing this!
To tell you that I can't wait to get these is a major understatement.

So with that said...I cannot wait to get these. rolleyes.gif
My problem is now building the cabs for them...it's winter up here and not even sure of the sizes.

Please send me the cut-sheet when available.
Thank you all (Tux and Erich especially) soo much for making/creating these!!!!

These just seem perfect for my place! biggrin.gif
dtsdig's Avatar dtsdig 07:16 AM 02-10-2014
I can't wait to hear first impressions of these when they start getting into the hands (and rooms) of others!
Noman74656's Avatar Noman74656 07:18 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

I can't wait to hear first impressions of these when they start getting into the hands (and rooms) of others!

I second that!
tuxedocivic's Avatar tuxedocivic 08:30 AM 02-10-2014
I think fatshaft is a Simpsons fan wink.gif
Quote:

I hope they don't disappoint smile.gif

Thanks for getting these up Erich.
tuxedocivic's Avatar tuxedocivic 08:35 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez View Post

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but how much baffle step is there on this design? Not sure if it is a true WTMMW or a 3.5 way with full baffle step compensation by way of the second 10".

This is a 3 way. The added complexity of going 3.5 way wasn't desirable. I was blown away by the sound and didnt pursue 3.5 way beyond some on paper theoritical playing around.

They are a full BSC design. However I didn't find them to be boomy. And they were rather immune to placement problems. Even shoved into an entertainment center I really think they'll be ok. And any excess <300hz energy can be eq'ed out fairly easily with any modern AVR, if that were a problem.
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 08:43 AM 02-10-2014
"They are a full BSC design."

does that mean 6db?
Fatshaft's Avatar Fatshaft 09:13 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

I think fatshaft is a Simpsons fan wink.gif

Quote:
I hope they don't disappoint smile.gif

I know you meant:
I know they won't disappoint

Quote:
Thanks for getting these up Erich.

Yes Thank you!
Anthony_Gomez's Avatar Anthony_Gomez 09:25 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

"They are a full BSC design."

does that mean 6db?

That's how I understand it. I'd think you wouldn't want a full 6db when these are near the wall, and especially the center at the TV/stand boundary. 4db or so seems the norm. BUT, it comes down to how it sounds in the end.
tuxedocivic's Avatar tuxedocivic 09:35 AM 02-10-2014
No not 6db. Full BSC to me mean that in "full space" it measures flat down to the USA usable range (where a sub meets up). For an 80hz XO and a 12" baffle that's about 3 db. That's why this speaker isn't 101db sensitive.

As for boundaries, with a 12" wide baffle, you're down in the range where there are larger room problems that need addressing. It's easy to eq out, but difficult to eq in. These didnt sound boomy at all against the wall. They very lean and clean sounding.
Anthony_Gomez's Avatar Anthony_Gomez 09:56 AM 02-10-2014
Thanks for the clarification :-D

I had to dig up tech talks on baffle step to get re-acquainted with the diffraction fun :-D

For those who want to read more:
http://sound.westhost.com/bafflestep.htm
http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=42
http://speakerdesignworks.com/bafflestep.html

Can someone with XO experience also confirm that a MTM has better vertical control and would have less floor/ceiling bounce effects than a TMM? (thinking back to Erich's question on baffle option)
Anthony_Gomez's Avatar Anthony_Gomez 10:06 AM 02-10-2014
Quote:

Darn, I just noticed that the baffle is upside down in the tower photo. rolleyes.gif.

well, not sure it it matters terribly with the xo design, but upside down does change the tweeter height from 21" (normal) to 15" (upside down) from the base. If one was putting these on subwoofers as stands (thinking more of myself) this gives a bit of ear height flexibility :-D No up or down! Sitting on your 3cuft/4cuft sub flatpack in the "upside down" orientation, has the tweeter height at 35"/38" and in normal orientation, at 41"/44". I call this flexibility a feature!
chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 02:11 PM 02-10-2014
Erich ,
When you redo the picture turn the mids towards the camera so we can see what the look like too
Thanks wink.gif
dtsdig's Avatar dtsdig 02:18 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Erich ,
When you redo the picture turn the mids towards the camera so we can see what the look like too
Thanks wink.gif

I'm fairly certain this is the one. Not totally sure if the 8 ohm or the 4 ohm is used, but they look exactly the same.
http://www.parts-express.com/celestion-neodymium-5-full-range-woofer-8-ohm--299-416
Anthony_Gomez's Avatar Anthony_Gomez 02:40 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:

I'm fairly certain this is the one. Not totally sure if the 8 ohm or the 4 ohm is used, but they look exactly the same.
http://www.parts-express.com/celestion-neodymium-5-full-range-woofer-8-ohm--299-416
+1. image and itemized price match up.
aaronlinkous's Avatar aaronlinkous 02:45 PM 02-10-2014

So lets see..... My alchemy mtm kits get here wednesday..... Maybe I'll just turn my tower project into bookshelves and use as rears and then order these and thern them in to towers... hmmmm

chalugadp's Avatar chalugadp 02:54 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlinkous View Post

So lets see..... My alchemy mtm kits get here wednesday..... Maybe I'll just turn my tower project into bookshelves and use as rears and then order these and thern them in to towers... hmmmm

Yeah get the tux and then you can do a good comparison to the alchemy mtm which I have. Let us know if its worth another build over the mtm. cool.gif
atabea's Avatar atabea 03:23 PM 02-10-2014
Request for Tux: It's a given you must be very familiar with the sound of your new creation and if by chance you have had the opportunity to listen to the Sentinels (original version) and the Tempests, I would really appreciate your opinion as to how they compare with each other.

Thanks
Rick
tuxedocivic's Avatar tuxedocivic 06:39 PM 02-10-2014
I haven't heard either of those. I could only tell you the technical differences. But on paper doesn't always tell the whole story. I think all three are really high output high value heavy hitters.
Anthony_Gomez's Avatar Anthony_Gomez 06:50 PM 02-10-2014
Tux, any comments on how well it does without a sub for just music? My gut tells me it will generally do fine for most music (EDM folk may want a sub though). If used with a sub, what freq would you recommend crossing it at?
tuxedocivic's Avatar tuxedocivic 08:39 PM 02-10-2014
With a sub, these are an 80hz XO as a baseline. Lower is possible, but would depend on the room and a few things. Higher is fine too.

I listened full range and it was ok in my room, but did tilt the timbre a little bright. Then listened out in my shop and they sucked full range. Ultimately I would absolutely not recommend them for that application. The only way it would work would be to increase the box size a lot and change the tuning a bit.
Fatshaft's Avatar Fatshaft 12:49 PM 02-11-2014
Am l the only Guinee pig for this kit?
Anyone else?

Erich
I'm sure you don't need this but it's my last week off next week cause of my knee surgery
Don't know if its possible to ship the kits so I can do these while I'm off work?

Thanks
aaronlinkous's Avatar aaronlinkous 01:30 PM 02-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Yeah get the tux and then you can do a good comparison to the alchemy mtm which I have. Let us know if its worth another build over the mtm. cool.gif

Sadly that would be against the rules of my 2014 resolution "Dont spend money like I did the last 9 years of my 20's and be an adult before I hit 30"

.......Which isnt really that big of a deal except there is no way I can put this guy as a center channel on/in my current tv stand. Even the new stand that I designed to fit the alchemy mtm wont fit this guy.

First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop