A 3 way 99db multi configurable SEOS design - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 927Likes

Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 1863
Oh and ya, Nanaimo area. You? Come have a listen smile.gif

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 1522
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Oh and ya, Nanaimo area. You? Come have a listen smile.gif
Coquitlam here. That ferry cost is a bitch. I love parksville !

If size of speakers wasn't an issue tux , what would be your top 3 diy lcr for movies ?
Also how does waveguides compare with ribbon speakers like neo cd 3 statement builds in terms of smoothness and accuracy ?

Just like picking a fellow canucks brain !
Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Hey Tux! Why did you not use a better CD, like say....the DNA-360? Or for that matter, why not a Seos-12/DNA-360 for the waveguide & compression driver?

Old 09-01-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Chalugadp, honestly, this speaker has for to be the best I've personally heard. For movies it's pure insanity. Music also. I wish I could post a graph that shows how good it sounds wink.gif

Based on technical merit, what I've seen out there, I'd say pnw's rig is a size no limits and very good. There's not many to chose from when I think about it. Hmmm, the sentinel looks pretty awesome. Matt is also working on something called the SEOSR. The statements wouldn't be on my list personally.

I'd probably have to build it myself really. I just can't think of many examples.

As for a waveguide versus a ribbon, the DNA-205 is really smooth, but in general, ribbons are smoother, have a tight impulse response, and subjectively get high marks. But they're whimpy and not quite as high effeciency. Also can't cross as low, so large mids are out of the question.

I don't waste my time with ribbons. Maybe a very large one in a waveguide.

Ryan
Old 09-01-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Marty, I used the SEOS 10 to keep the cab width less than 12". It's visually very nice using the 10.

As for the CD, cause the DNA-205 is very good. The 360 would be wasted, and possible even not as good. This crosses at 1750hz so all that low end grunt the 360 offers would be wasted. The 205 is a really hot CD.

Ryan
Old 09-01-2013, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I can't find the "add to cart" and/or the "buy" button?
When will this be available?

I want 3!

Thanks
Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Hey Tux! Why did you not use a better CD, like say....the DNA-360? Or for that matter, why not a Seos-12/DNA-360 for the waveguide & compression driver?

Most of the DE250 - DNA 360 - BMS 4550 types of CD's aren't "better". Those can be crossed lower, but that doesn't always mean they actually sound better, it just means they can handle a lower frequency.

The DNA-205 uses a mylar diaphragm and sounds very nice and smooth. So in that regard, you could say they're better than the others, especially for home audio. But they can't cross as low. In the end, it depends on what you want or need. That model can still put out more volume than you would need for home audio use though.

As soon as the plastic SEOS-10 is here, the model in this thread will be the very first one I build. Tux critiques his own designs harder than anyone. So if he says this one is really nice, I'm guessing it's quite a good speaker.

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freniata View Post

I can't find the "add to cart" and/or the "buy" button?
When will this be available?

I want 3!

Thanks

The SEOS-15 and SEOS-10 will be here in about 6 weeks or so. They should have been here by now, but there was a slight issue with the back of the SEOS-15 mold. It didn't effect sound quality, but I wanted them done right. So that added to the time.

I have the DHL tracking number for the new SEOS-15 sample and it will be here in a few days. Once I sign off, they'll have all of them made in a couple weeks.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:08 AM

Thanks Erich,

Will the kit "everything included except assembly" be available through the diysoundgroup website?
Thanks
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

The SEOS-15 and SEOS-10 will be here in about 6 weeks or so. They should have been here by now, but there was a slight issue with the back of the SEOS-15 mold. It didn't effect sound quality, but I wanted them done right. So that added to the time.

I have the DHL tracking number for the new SEOS-15 sample and it will be here in a few days. Once I sign off, they'll have all of them made in a couple weeks.

Will you be updating a thread with your update on the SEOS 15 ? Or starting a new thread? I am curious to see the updates
Old 09-01-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Both waveguides will arrive at the same time so I will be updating the main SEOS thread once that happens.

Freniata, yes, the entire kit for these will be listed once it's all here. I'll have to get some custom shipping boxes made up for packaging the flat packs, but they shouldn't be horribly heavy, maybe 55 lbs.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any idea on what the kit will run?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not sure on cost yet, but I'll start figuring it out soon. Using 5 drivers in a 3 way will add to the cost compared to other models, but this one should be worth it.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Chalugadp, honestly, this speaker has for to be the best I've personally heard. For movies it's pure insanity. Music also. I wish I could post a graph that shows how good it sounds wink.gif

e.

Man if the ferry didn't cost the amount of the speaker I would be there. I have only.had dome speakers . By using the smaller cd , would the tradeoff you went for be smoother mids and highs for less.bass ?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The trade offs I went for were:

12" width because this speaker was to make an uncompromising center and highlight the SEOS 10

High SPL

Flexibility

Excellent price /performance

The CD choice was thought about for less than 4 seconds. I really like the 205 and it was almost assumed it would be used with the SEOS 10. It makes sense. The CD choice didnt factor into my trade offs.

Ya, the ferry sucks. So expensive.

Ryan
Old 09-01-2013, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
Quote:

The trade offs I went for were:

12" width because this speaker was to make an uncompromising center and highlight the SEOS 10

High SPL

Flexibility

Excellent price /performance

The CD choice was thought about for less than 4 seconds. I really like the 205 and it was almost assumed it would be used with the SEOS 10. It makes sense. The CD choice didnt factor into my trade offs.

Ya, the ferry sucks. So expensive.

whats your opinion on the sound as compared to some of the other stuff you have heard or built ?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

whats your opinion on the sound as compared to some of the other stuff you have heard or built ?

How would it compare to non diy speakers that you have heard in terms of midrange ?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Please take these comments with respect to what we know about room coloring, audio memory, and my personal bias that undoubtably play into my feelings. Lets see if I can offer a fair assessment of these.

First the bad. These are not the most perfectly flat, tonally balanced speakers I've heard. You can see this in the on axis frequency response. There's a few wiggles. Honestly, I could have worked them flat but at the expense of XO complexity that I felt wasn't worth it.

But the good subjective BS that I have a hard time explaining. The midrange is flawlessly clear. You know when people say " I'm hearing things I didn't before". Well that usually a lie. Or they just haven't heard anything decent. These on the other hand did that to me. Not often. That would be a lie. But it did happen. Also with vocals I could actually understand the lyrics. I've never been one to understand lyrics well. Remember when tapes came with the lyrics written in the cover flap. I'd have to read those to understand anything. As a guitar player I always listen to the instruments. But with this speaker, the lyrics just naturally found their way to my ears. So I heard a few things I hadn't and the things that used to be difficult to hear we're now clear.

The tonal balance was surprising flat. Wait a minute, didnt I state in the bad section that this speaker wasn't tonally balanced? Well its not the most tonally balanced, but considering the downward sloping FR, I would have expected it to sound overly full, tubby, thick, etc. but not so. The low end has so much output that the sound is so clean and clear that it fits well with the mid and treble.

Dynamics. Well, do I need to even say anything here. Insane. How about that.

To what I've compared. Hmm, well, everything you can find in a box store. Most of the kef line up. Some of the Focal stuff. Tannoy. Totem. Hmm, tons of DIY stuff, mine and others. Various monitors in studios. Different pro audio gear in various setting. And yes, it's the best I've ever heard. My wife has had a thousand speakers go through our living room. She likes the small ones. When this thing was built she laughed and said "when are you gonna be done with this one?". When she heard it she started trying to figure out how to fit a pair in our living room. I started to laugh at her. They're that good.

So is this the next speaker in my house if its so good. Eventually ya. It's the best I've ever done. Ill probably do the active version and only one woofer though, because my wall likley cant support two woofers. This thing genuinely surprised me. I expected a power house to appease all the psychos around here. Not something I'd actually build. The next closest thing was the Planar 2 speaker I just spent a couple months on. It's very sweet, but doesn't have the insane output and midrange this one does. But it's smaller. So...

I plan to build a TM version to match. Also a single woofer version. Erich and I have our work cut out for us on the SEOS 10. This was just a teaser to get the SEOS 10 pumped up for the preorder. I have 3 more speakers planned (smaller), and I'm sure other designs will arise from guys like Face2, MTG90, etc.

Ryan
Old 09-01-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great post tux ... detailed and opinionated , exactly what I wanted to hear.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Looks like a really neat design, Tux. Compact enough fit in about any room, very sensitive, constant directivity, hits all the points..
So the big question is.. what will it's name be?

SmallSyns - point source controlled directivity in a manageable size SmallSyns
Old 09-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 145
"Optimus Prime"? biggrin.gif

*crawls back under rock*
Old 09-01-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

cynosure - something that strongly attracts attention and admiration; "if he was the cynosure of all eyes he didn't notice"

How about dat ... for the name.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh Bill, I'm as good at naming speakers as you are tongue.gif

Well I'm not a transformers fan (crawls back under my rock), so I shouldn't use Optimus Prime. I've never heard the word cynosure before. Would people like saying "I'm building a pair of Cynosures"? I think its catchy. Is that pronounced Kai-no-sure, or Sai-no-sure? How do you say that?

Ryan
Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well I'm not a transformers fan (crawls back under my rock), so I shouldn't use Optimus Prime. I've never heard the word cynosure before. Would people like saying "I'm building a pair of Cynosures"? I think its catchy. Is that pronounced Kai-no-sure, or Sai-no-sure? How do you say that?

I hadn't heard the word before either . Googled synonym of center of attention . I would pronounce it sin oh sure.

Another definition. Something that attracts by brilliance, looks or due to interest.

It if its too weird you could always call it the tuxedo . I might plan a.trip to parksville over thanksgiving and may pop by for a.listen if your in town.
Cheers
Old 09-02-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:

For me the name is already baptized
My friends all know that I`m getting these as soon as they are out!

I`ve already told everyone that I`m getting 3...
**TUX99** speakers.

C`mon man, it says who`s invented it and it`s the great ones number!
Plus it`s invented by a Canadian...c`mon man

KISS! biggrin.gif
tterwilligar likes this.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Nice build Tux! & thanks for the information regarding your decision to use the Seos-10 & 205 combo over the Seos-12 & DNA-360.
I had just always assumed that the DNA-360, DE250, 4550, ect...all sounded better than some of those other CD's, so thanks for
clarifying that issue for me. Is it same to say that for most CD's of a similar size and diaphragm material, sound very close? I would
assume that because unlike a dome or ribbon tweeter, a CD only has so many moving parts, so it would make sense that a 1" CD
with the exact same diaphragm material as another 1" CD would sound very similar.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Once eq'ed to the same FR, they should sound the same. If a different material is used, sometimes you can hear CSD and/or diaphragm breakup. However, I haven't experienced this to much.

Ryan
Old 09-02-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

How about tux10-99. I feel conceited with my username in there, but I like it. 10 for SEOS 10 and 99 for the sensitivity. And a little canadian hockey history thrown in doesnt hurt wink.gif

Ryan
Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

How about tux10-99. I feel conceited with my username in there, but I like it. 10 for SEOS 10 and 99 for the sensitivity. And a little canadian hockey history thrown in doesnt hurt wink.gif

Book it danno !
Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I like it too. Besides, cynosure is already taken...

http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=Cynosure

I'm pretty sure 10-99 would best it.....

JSS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement