Power conditioner vs PDU - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Anyone ever use an APC G50B-20A2? http://www.amazon.com/APC-G50B-20A2-9-Outlet-Rack-Mountable-Conditioner/dp/B003GSLL1U

The other thing I was looking at was the Tripp Lite PDU1220. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882750014 - it's half the price, but doesn't have the fancy delays/screen/"filters"/etc. On the other hand, the Tripp Lite has 13 outlets, vs the APC's 9. (not that the extra outlets is a big factor or anything - 9 is plenty).

I was also looking at the Belkin PF60, but it seems to be a crap shoot whether they send you the rack ears or not.

Would the APC be worth it over the Tripp Lite? Or, is there another product I should be looking at in a similar price range? Whatever I get needs to be rack mountable.

Note: I realize that the "filters" in the APC unit don't really do anything to improve audio/video quality. The main reason I was looking at it is that it can be used to turn everything on/off simultaneously, and it will even delay the amps a bit. Unfortunately, a few of my things don't have 12v triggers, so it would be nice to have a master on/off button for my system.

Thanks guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
http://www.racksolutions.com/rack-power?gclid=CK-umYKGnrgCFcWZ4AodJkQAJQ

If they ain't got it you don't need it.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

20a, 8 outlets for $65 is pretty nice, but what about the on/off thud when the amps aren't delayed?

post #4 of 18 Old 07-07-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

^

post #5 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 154
You do not want to plug an amp or receiver up to a surge protector or power strip as that can restrict the current flowing into the amp. You are much better off just plugging in your Bbluray Player, TV, Cable Box, ect...just no amplifiers or receivers. For the amp & receiver, just plug them into a wall outlet on a dedicated 20a line. If you really want to make things better, have an electrician come by and run a dedicated 20a line for your amps and/or receiver. Then, and only then, if you want to really protect everything in your home, have an electrician install a whole house surge protector.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Surge suppression wasn't my goal here- hence me looking at what are basically 20a splitters (the PDU's). I think what I'll do though is build a couple 12v relays for the amps, and then put everything else on one a 15 or 20a PDU.

post #7 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

You do not want to plug an amp or receiver up to a surge protector or power strip as that can restrict the current flowing into the amp. You are much better off just plugging in your Bbluray Player, TV, Cable Box, ect...just no amplifiers or receivers. For the amp & receiver, just plug them into a wall outlet on a dedicated 20a line.

Hmm. So what does one hook up saaayyyy..... ten amps? Not enough nearby wall outlets for that, I'll tell you. wink.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #8 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Hmm. So what does one hook up saaayyyy..... ten amps? Not enough nearby wall outlets for that, I'll tell you. wink.gif

If you have 10 amps and they are plugged into a surge protector, that person deserves a dropkick to the lips..... tongue.gif

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #9 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
If it only draws 10 amps then its not a respectable amplifier and you can go ahead and plug it into the power strip tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif
N8DOGG likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

If you have 10 amps and they are plugged into a surge protector, that person deserves a dropkick to the lips..... tongue.gif

Well.... I don't plan on using a 'surge protector' but I'm gonna have to use something! tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc View Post

If it only draws 10 amps then its not a respectable amplifier and you can go ahead and plug it into the power strip tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Erm. Ten amplifiers. Not 10amps of current. wink.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #11 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Seriously though, I don't see how a 20a PDU can be a bottleneck to a 15 or 20a service.

post #12 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Scott, you have no way to run some new lines for plugs? You'd only really need to run 3 lines and could have 6 plugs. 2 amps per plug would be perfectly fine. The cost would be not a lot more other than the wire, plugs and breakers. Maybe $150 extra plus the time of the installer (which would be minimal)

post #13 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Bass Enabler

Trust me. I know. Can't happen. Not at this house, unfortunately. The system as a whole will be power limited but thankfully it will be mostly >100dB/w over the vast majority of the audible bandwidth.

Sorry to threadjack but I am looking into similar devices right now. redface.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #14 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

You're not threadjacking if it's related to the original subject. I mean, we even have the same amp (CV5000).

post #15 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

You do not want to plug an amp or receiver up to a surge protector or power strip as that can restrict the current flowing into the amp..
Power strips and surge protectors don't restrict current flow, so they're OK. Active 'power conditioners' can restrict current flow, and that's why if mentioned at all by amp manufacturers they say do not use them. Whatever 'conditioning' of the AC that's actually required is accomplished by the amp power supply anyway.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel975 View Post

You're not threadjacking if it's related to the original subject. I mean, we even have the same amp (CV5000).

Yes. Yes we do. Although I'm stacking on six ep2500/4000's and three Samson SX1200's. Oye! redface.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #17 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Yes. Yes we do. Although I'm stacking on six ep2500/4000's and three Samson SX1200's. Oye! redface.gif

You'll likely be able to run 3 ep's on one 15 amp breaker without much trouble. I ran 3 in my old place on a 15 amp and pounded tunes, the breaker tripped 2 times in 4 years.

post #18 of 18 Old 07-09-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I think the best option for me would be to build a 12v triggered relay for a 20a PDU, and use my pre/pro to activate/deactivate it. That way, all I need to do to turn on the system is turn on the pre/pro, and I'd avoid any on/off thumping issues.

Anyway- thanks for the responses.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page