0db way to loud? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 64 Old 07-16-2013, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I heard somewhere it was good to calibrate to 85dba for each channel playing the test tone with the volume at 0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I enjoyed 0db, but really enjoyed -10db better, not all the time, but most of the time :0)
post #63 of 64 Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDuck View Post

I thought I heard somewhere it was good to calibrate to 85dba for each channel playing the test tone with the volume at 0.

depends on what level your receivers test tones are. a correct calibration should result in a 0 dbFS (bandwidth limited, yadda yadda yadda) signal being 105 db at the listening position when the volume is set to 0 db. if the receivers test tones are -20 dbFS then you should calibrate to 85 db at listening position with master volume set to 0. if they're -30 dbFS... 75 db. in my experience, most receivers tones are -30.

post #64 of 64 Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 116
KG,

Good observation. DynEQ does a pretty good job of things, but it is not the same thing as 0dBRef. I use a certain scene for people to tell the difference. IN Transformers 1, when they are inside Hoover Dam looking at Megatron, Sam explains that Megs is after the cube. When he doesn't get a response, he huffs or says 'huh' really softly right before saying "You guys know where it is, don't you?" At -10dBRef, it is nearly muted, and you essentially lip-read it. At Reference, it is clear. There are no huge dynamics, so turning any system up to 0dBRef for this particular bit is safe for nearly everyone. But it does hammer home that at -10dB, you do miss some stuff, and the midbass punch simply doesn't pack the slam. I like DynEQ from -15dBRef and up. at lower volumes, it is as if some kid got crazy with the bass knob, and the surrounds are way too prominent (DynEQ EQ's moment by moment and adjusts surround levels moment by moment as well, it's look-ahead time is only 1-2 frames, so it is limited, but a good tool nonetheless).

JSS
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page