Newbie needs help for Rock / Disco speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-09-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi to all,

12 years ago I have bought Dynaudio floorstanders. They have proven to be very bad for rock /disco music that I occasionally listen. At the time I was younger and inexperienced to notice what a terrible choice I made.

Over time I have listened to home speakers that suited my taste. Among them were Cerwin Vega and Klipsch. They were speakers that could provide me round / focused / punch bass that hits me in the chest. I was also DJ and I got addicted to that sound. I need to have that punchy kick bass in 100-300Hz that makes me move.

Trying to find a better replacement on the internet I found this site. I see you create nice speakers similar to what I need. But so far I could not find exactly what I need so somebody could point me where to look. My targets and limitations are:

- For home listening but also could be for small clubs (50-100 people). So it needs to be a mix of Hi Fi and PA.
- Max width could be 18", so if there is 15" bass design that could suite this - great. Otherwise 12" is OK.
- I prefer 3-way
- Bass should go bellow 40Hz.
- It has have nice audiophile features - hi fi details, 3D, warm mids, not harsh at highs,....basically a sound that is as “hi-fi ” as reasonably possible and to show some PA attributes.
- My budget is up $1,200 for parts

Bob Crites CS-1.5 and Darren Kuzma's design of The Blue Wonders are the ones that are interesting. But, 1st is 2-way and goes to only to 40hz and the 2nd is too big.

Your opinion is the one I would appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-09-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/105

upgrade the woofer to the jbl 2226h and the c.d. to the de250.

and then hang on to your head... :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I did a little research and my conclusions are:

1. I will not buy anything new because of their quality.

2. I might buy something old, late 70's or from the 80's, and upgrade it in full. Totally new crossovers and wiring. Changing even drivers if needed.

3. I might give somebody to build me a DIY speaker. Some kind of hybrid, probably bass and mid drivers will be PA and tweeter will be Hi Fi. Was thinking of eminence drives for PA and for tweeter I did not decided yet.

I am not sure will I use horns, what benefits will I gain and what would I loose.

What are your thoughts, am I in the right direction?
post #4 of 11 Old 07-13-2013, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You really want to stick with a proven design rather than playing mix and match with with drivers and crossover. This is critical for getting hi-fi sound quality....not so much if all you want is loud for blasting away in a bar.

Horns can be be hi-fi when implemented properly....and horrible when done poorly. The 4pi kit referenced above is done right (as are some other similar kits/designs). The standard version uses Eminence drivers. The difference between 2-way and 3-way is more or less moot due to the invention of subwoofers. Build a simple 2-way and add a subwoofer.

If you really do intend to use these in clubs then there is a lot to be said for finding some used PA cabs locally and fixing them up. You might get lucky and find nice empty cabs for dirt cheap. Or you can find nice stuff that needs nothing.....

Good luck!
post #5 of 11 Old 07-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdzele View Post

Ok I did a little research and my conclusions are:

1. I will not buy anything new because of their quality.

2. I might buy something old, late 70's or from the 80's, and upgrade it in full. Totally new crossovers and wiring. Changing even drivers if needed.

3. I might give somebody to build me a DIY speaker. Some kind of hybrid, probably bass and mid drivers will be PA and tweeter will be Hi Fi. Was thinking of eminence drives for PA and for tweeter I did not decided yet.

I am not sure will I use horns, what benefits will I gain and what would I loose.

What are your thoughts, am I in the right direction?

Whats wrong with the quality of new stuff. Mixing a P.A. woffer with a tweeter is not a good idea. Whats your buget? do you use a sub? I would look at http://www.diysoundgroup.com/
post #6 of 11 Old 07-14-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

New speakers are mostly bad plastic, except for few firms that still care for quality. But they are expensive for me.

I just found out that mixing two concepts is not good.

My budget is up to1500 dollars in total.

I don't like subs, they sound bad and make fake noises. They separate the sound picture.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-14-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I don't like subs, they sound bad and make fake noises. They separate the sound picture.

Then you've never heard a system that was set up properly.

High Desert Theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Bass - 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #8 of 11 Old 07-14-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
How about something like an active bottom, passive top setup? You could take one of the proven, extremely well designed SEOS kits, and build it sealed

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-series-kits/fusion12-kit.html

With a bass bin of your liking, featuring a high end woofer that can play up to 300hz or so. You take an active crossover like a miniDSP

http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

and a pair of 2 channel amps. Build the kit, build the woofer box, glue the kit on top, set the active crossover, and adjust the levels so the top/bottom matches.

An example for the woofer setup would be this little guy

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-578

In a 18" W x 20" H x 28" D box, with three 4" x 12" ports (40hz tune). You would be good for about 122 db from 500 watts, F3 of 40hz.

post #9 of 11 Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

Then you've never heard a system that was set up properly.

This. A crappy implemented sub will sound like garbage, but done right it will blow away a setup that doesnt have subs.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

New speakers are mostly bad plastic, except for few firms that still care for quality. But they are expensive for me.

I just found out that mixing two concepts is not good.

My budget is up to1500 dollars in total.

You need to go out and listen to some more systems. All the big disco clubs in the 70's including Studio 54 used subs.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-15-2013, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/DR250.html

http://www.speakerhardware.com/dr-250-piezo-deluxe-kit.php

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-808

Build a couple of these, ported. Mate with an inuke 1000dsp. Will require room measurements and EQ. Will blow your head off.

Based on your comments, it sounds like you're not much a fan of deep bass, but rather you prefer a lot of midbass punch. This will get you there under your 1500 budget.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page