help selecting the right subwoofers for a modest size room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello and thank you first off for your time and help. My first time posting.
Im fairly new to HT, and I am currently trying to start my second subwoofer build, as my first one is just not going to cut it.

My current equipment:
Receiver - Pioneer SC-67
Sub amp - Crown XLS 2000
Current sub - My first DIY 10" JLW7 in 4.1cf ported box tuned to 20hz (Should be able to see it in the pictures below. Please ignore the Dual W3's. My brothers car subs.)

The issue I am having is that I got a small taste of low end and I want more smile.gif . The room is large and I just don't think a single 10" will cut it.

Room dimensions:
24' x 17.5' with 14' vaulted ceiling. And then off course it opens up into an almost identically sized kitchen and then a hallway. I understand this is less than ideal but its what I have to work with...

Please excuse my mess in the photos. We recently had our first daughter, and I just finished rebuilding the entertainment center below the TV.

So, im limited to a budget of roughly $1000, so utilizing my current amp would be ideal.
I am being "allowed" either two "Large" subs or four "Small" subs. This is how my wife refers to ported and sealed boxes. wink.gif Either two ported 15"s with a max 6cuft each, or four 3cuft sealed. (I made mock up cardboard boxes of what roughly each size was to be for the wife, and those are my allowable options).

Goals: 70% HT and 30% music.
Basically I hooked up my W7 in one of my spare 10' x 10' bedrooms to play call of duty on my brothers TV and I heard and felt sounds I didn't know existed in the game. 4 hours later we finished watching "Medal of Honor" and now I want "that bass sound" in my living room. Best way I can describe it, sorry. wink.gif

I had planned on using the 15" Dayton Audio Ultimax subs because of the perfect "recommended" enclosure size and price. Please, any advise on using these subs, going the ported or sealed rout, and any other advise would be much appreciated. DSC00304.JPG 4230k .JPG file DSC00305.JPG 4456k .JPG file DSC00306.JPG 4541k .JPG file DSC00307.JPG 4226k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00304.JPG (4.13 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00305.JPG (4.35 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00306.JPG (4.43 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00307.JPG (4.13 MB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
To prevent myself from sounding like a broken record player, I think I'll mix it up this time and say dual Sonosubs. biggrin.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #3 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250

Here is a model of a few drivers. I don't know how much power your amp can put out exactly so I just went off the manufacturer specs.

Yellow is four 15" Ultimax in a 3cu ft sealed enclosure each (12cu ft total) with 2100w.

Blue is two Dayton 18" HO in a 4cu ft sealed enclosure each (8cu ft total) with 1300w.

Gray is what you currently have, 4cu ft tuned to 20hz and 500w.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Does that amp allow you to set a 20hz high pass filter?
post #5 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately No. The amp lets me do a lowpass filter but no highpass. That will have to be taken care of by feedback destroyer or similar?
post #6 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdhtchsn View Post

Unfortunately No. The amp lets me do a lowpass filter but no highpass. That will have to be taken care of by feedback destroyer or similar?

If you really wanted to go ported then yes, you would need a high pass. I think given your size constraint the quad sealed ultimax 15s is your best bet. You could do a pair of 6 ft3 dual opposed cabs, or four 3 ft3 single cabs.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 09:14 PM

I say build an F20 and lay it down on the front stage and be done with it. I have a room about that size with one F20 in it and am always happy with the bass in my system. Since you already have a good amp you can do one for about $300.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mrkazador for taking the time to model those.
Thank u for your reply Jay. Im open to either ported or sealed, however I think your right. Size and price would make sense to go sealed seeing I would have to buy additional equipment.
Now I don't have any experience with dual opposed. Is there any +/- going 2 dual opposed vs. 4 individual box's? I will do some forum searching to get up to speed for that style in the mean time.
Another concern would be room response. im new to this but there is defiantly a "boomy" part of the room in one corner. Would having 4 box's instead of 2 dual opposed be better or worse for this issue?
post #9 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive View Post

I say build an F20 and lay it down on the front stage and be done with it. I have a room about that size with one F20 in it and am always happy with the bass in my system. Since you already have a good amp you can do one for about $300.
Thanks Ovrrdrive. I had seen this before but don't know enough about it. From the attached pics you can see I have two large windows on either side of the TV. Im guessing I could try to talk the wife into letting me put one under each window?? What are your impressions of that type of sub? What kind of power do these require? Im assuming ill need some EQ and Highpass filter? Ill do some research on this type as well. Thank you
post #10 of 10 Old 07-14-2013, 05:56 PM

The Dayton DVC 15" sub is a good one to use in the F20 and they're pretty cheap. In the enclosure they max out with about 300 watts. They do need a 20hz high pass filter on them so you'll lose out on the ultra low bass but the output is incredible. I rattle the sheetrock in my kitchen ceiling with just one of them. It's a little harder to build but not too bad if you can follow directions. Tell your wife she can put some flowers on them to decorate and maybe she'll buy in. lol

They can be stood up or laid down if it fits better in the room. The enclosure is a lot bigger than you're looking for but the price and sound are both right from them. 2 in one room should be all the bass you're looking for.

There is also a similar design floating around out there - the THT - that gives pretty much the same output but is in a different form factor that may or may not work as well in your room but is something to consider for another option.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page