EP 4000 Voltage Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just purchased a pair of DIY sealed Dayton 18's with an EP4000 amp. I have an older Denon avr that I'm using , I'm splitting the sub out and running to the amp, very low bass output, I've got the level on the avr sub out all the way up. I can turn the gains all the way up on the EP and still not a lot of bass. I then switched to an Onkyo avr, much better output. I believe the volts put out on the sub out from the Denon is very low, the Onkyo is better, but I'm still putting the gain all the way up on the EP most the time, no clipping though. Am I correct on the issue that it is the voltage? Any way to boost the signal. Thanks for any help. I am now a believer in the DIY route for subs, these are very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Maybe related to this?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/35677-gain-structure-home-theater-getting-most-pro-audio-equipment-your-system.html
post #3 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I have skimmed over this in the past and think this is my issue, I am interested in learning how people have dealt with it.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigotis View Post

Thank you, I have skimmed over this in the past and think this is my issue, I am interested in learning how people have dealt with it.

Your choices are:

(1) Crank every relevant gain control in the AVR and power amp as high as you can.

(2) Add additional gain No problem doing this, the question is how to do it most effectively and economically.

Means to add clean gain to a signal path:

(1) http://www.htd.com/Products/line-level-gain-boosters/LGB-1

(2) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RZXAHI

The TCC 780LC (2) seems to have the better reputation on the various online A/V forums I've checked.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Your choices are:

(1) Crank every relevant gain control in the AVR and power amp as high as you can.

(2) Add additional gain No problem doing this, the question is how to do it most effectively and economically.

Means to add clean gain to a signal path:

(1) http://www.htd.com/Products/line-level-gain-boosters/LGB-1

(2) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RZXAHI

The TCC 780LC (2) seems to have the better reputation on the various online A/V forums I've checked.
Thank you, I am going to look at those products. I've got all settings cranked and it sounds pretty good. I'm looking to see if one paticular brand of AVR has a particularly high output voltage. I am really impressed by the Dayton woofers, I've got a bunch of manufactured powered subs from respected companies and these compare very well. I need some more time with them but I may be done with buying regular powered subs.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
There shouldn't be any trouble driving an EP4000 with any AVR. It's input sensitivity is just over a volt. Maybe you have some of the switches set wrong on the EP4000. Are you running it in bridged mono or stereo?
post #7 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

There shouldn't be any trouble driving an EP4000 with any AVR. It's input sensitivity is just over a volt. Maybe you have some of the switches set wrong on the EP4000. Are you running it in bridged mono or stereo?
Stereo, I'll double check it later. Thanks
post #8 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 233
The EP amps don't really have a gain knob. It's an attenuator. Meaning all the way up is fine and the proper default starting point. Turn down if you need to decrease output (although moot because this is done in most AVRs).

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #9 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

The EP amps don't really have a gain knob. It's an attenuator. Meaning all the way up is fine and the proper default starting point. Turn down if you need to decrease output (although moot because this is done in most AVRs).
I had not researched it but thought it was an attenuator, thanks so much. With the Onkyo receiver it works very well, on some music I'm turning it down a bit but on most it is cranked. This system is used only for music and the more I listen the better it gets. The Dayton 18's and EP amp are very satisfying, I now understand why the DIY people are happy.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page