Buy or build? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-15-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am extremely new to the DIY speaker world and would like a little input from anyone who has been into the DIY scene for awhile. I am currently running Axiom M22's as my LR and the Axiom VP180 as my center. I have been considering upgrading to the SVS Ultra bookshelves and center. The only thing holding me back right now is the cost. It would run me $1,700 for all 3. I have came across this section of the forum and discovered a few other websites on DIY speakers and I am curious as to the how a DIY build would compare to the Ultras. I know that sound is very subjective and the finished product would probably not look as nice as the Ultras but I am sure I would be able to do an acceptable job on the finish of the speakers.

I am specifically interested in speaker kits that only need assembled after ordering. I do not want to build my own cabinets from scratch or anything like that.

The kits that have caught my attention so far are:

The Overnight Sensations MTM: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker-kits/osmtm-flat-pack.html

The Fusion 8 Alchemy MTM http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion8-mtm-kit.html

And the CSS WR30: http://creativesound.ca/details.php?model=WR.30

Anyone have any thoughts on these choice? Opinions on how these might compare to the SVS ultras or even to the Axioms I already own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It is very easy to outclass the SVS speakers in the world of DIY. A 6.5" 2 way is the most common speaker type, and there are literally 100s of designs, and dozens of kits available for that configuration. It is likely the SVS uses very good drivers, and a well thought out crossover. You can get the same thing in kit form for a fraction of the price.

You are looking at some wide ranging speakers, all very different from the SVS. The Alchemy MTM will be the most dynamic by far. What kind of sound are you trying to achieve from this setup?
post #3 of 4 Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My speakers are set in a dedicated home theater room and I use them for movies 95% of the time. I am not sure how to describe what I am looking for... I always read the buzzwords people use like bright, muddy, warm, fatiguing, etc.... I am looking for clarity and more deepness deepness to voices and sound from the LCR. Some movie soundtracks have spots that almost sound static y at points. Probably not a good description but the best I can come up with right now. My experience to listening to higher end speakers is very limited so I do not have a lot experience with different sounding sets. (other than the lower end garbage from walmart and department stores that most people have) I have a modest setup that I am happy with for the most part. My sub and surrounds suit me just fine but I have always wanted more oomph from the front end.

I am running the SVS PB13 Ultra for my sub and 4 Axiom QS8s as my side and rear surrounds. I am powering everything with a Denon 4311ci.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0742003 View Post

My speakers are set in a dedicated home theater room and I use them for movies 95% of the time. I am not sure how to describe what I am looking for... I always read the buzzwords people use like bright, muddy, warm, fatiguing, etc.... I am looking for clarity and more deepness deepness to voices and sound from the LCR. Some movie soundtracks have spots that almost sound static y at points. Probably not a good description but the best I can come up with right now. My experience to listening to higher end speakers is very limited so I do not have a lot experience with different sounding sets. (other than the lower end garbage from walmart and department stores that most people have) I have a modest setup that I am happy with for the most part. My sub and surrounds suit me just fine but I have always wanted more oomph from the front end.

I am running the SVS PB13 Ultra for my sub and 4 Axiom QS8s as my side and rear surrounds. I am powering everything with a Denon 4311ci.

Sounds like the alchemy MTM would be perfect for you
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page