Am I crazy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 07-17-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I currently live in a nice condo, but have neighbors on both sides. This condo is also very cheap for the area. We lucked out in finding it.

I just got a UXL-18/CV5000 a little while ago, and also have plans for building SEOS kits.

We’re looking at a detached home tonight that probably won’t be as nice, and where the rent is 33% more expensive, just so I can turn the speakers/sub up. I have even had to resort to telling my GF that I will buy her a puppy if she goes along with it.

Am I crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-17-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
No. Being stuck in close proximity to neighbors is a bane... Sure your specific reason may be considered eccentric by a "normal" person, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having the desire to be able to live as you please, without having to take people outside of your house into consideration when you do something inside of your house.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Well if it's in your budget, then not a big issue. That being said, to pay 33% more for something not as nice isn't something I would do.

I lived in apartments for quite a while, but never had an issue with my theater system and my neighbors. They could hear it too, but I had them over for a few movies, so they never complained. They still haven't found the one's that did complain. tongue.gif

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #4 of 30 Old 07-17-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Am I crazy?
Aren't we all?
post #5 of 30 Old 07-17-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

Well if it's in your budget, then not a big issue. That being said, to pay 33% more for something not as nice isn't something I would do.

I lived in apartments for quite a while, but never had an issue with my theater system and my neighbors. They could hear it too, but I had them over for a few movies, so they never complained. They still haven't found the one's that did complain. tongue.gif

It's in our budget, and may be just as 'nice'. Who knows. I'll find out here in a little while. I guess I just have low expectations after the last place we saw. It had a "vacation rental" unit in the basement that they neglected to tell us about until we were checking it out in person. What a joke. lol
post #6 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The puppy is a 10-15 year commitment. Choose wisely.

You can't break the neighbors.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
1. Puppies are awesome.

2. Even neighbors you get along with can be annoying to live near. I feel better in a house where I can do whatever I want and no one's there to make me feel like I am probably bothering them.
post #8 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Puppies are fun.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel975 View Post

It's in our budget, and may be just as 'nice'. Who knows. I'll find out here in a little while. I guess I just have low expectations after the last place we saw. It had a "vacation rental" unit in the basement that they neglected to tell us about until we were checking it out in person. What a joke. lol
What a PITA. What else were they not going to tell you until the last minute.

Good luck with the next one.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #10 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 581
I've got an 8 month old pup right now and she is awesome. At least your GF didn't ask for a child, now those aren't worth it. Hehe

I personally now that I have lived in both would always prefer a detached home vs an apartment. It gives you space to stretch your legs, and not run into people when you don't necessarily want to. Now that you have mentioned the dog, you're going to have to get one anyway now. Having a detached residence with possibly a little yardspace is going to be better in this case without a doubt.

This is possibly the only post of my career where I don't mention anything pertaining to the reason this forum exists. What took me so long?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #11 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

beastaudio: In a sense, this thread is entirely related to DIY audio. Or, at least the ability to freely practice it ( what is this, a cult?). So, in that regard, you are still on topic.
post #12 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha, I was just messin' Speakers have First Amendment rights too btw assuming they are domiciled in the US, and no one should take that right away, neighbors included. If you install two gallerhorns and their stuff starts falling off the walls, then IMO, they just shouldn't put anything back up on the walls or suffer the consequences.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #13 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 PM

Liked: 13
You are completely sane. If you enjoy audio at reasonably high levels, choosing a home that allows you to do so is part of your system.

Witness - my $53,000 stereo. $3,000 for equipment, and $50,000 for the empty lot that serves as buffer between me and my neighbor tongue.gif

post #14 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I have one house close to me and those people do not live there full time. Only down for two or three days at a time and only four or five times a year at the most. Many times I do not see them for six months or more. My house is the roof that is completely surrounded by trees. I never have to worry about playing anything to loud for the neighbors, just the wife and as long as she is not in the room, the only limit is how loud I want to go. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #15 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

12 boat slips for two houses. Ballin' out Mike! I like it!!!

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #16 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

12 boat slips for two houses. Ballin' out Mike! I like it!!!

The second and third one from the end (ones with boat lifts are mine. The rest are neighbors. I have five houses (including mine) on my street. Our house is the only full time resident. Four of the five have slips. The rest are from the next neighborhood over. They have to walk on the Corp's property to get there. They can't have slips closer to them, because of a distance limit to the beach. They just have to walk a ways. smile.gif

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #17 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

This thread is now about uploading satellite photos of where you live/how close your neighbors are. lol

This is where I currently live. Note that there are multiple neighbors on both sides.

post #18 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

what is this?
Please look into this deneutralizer.
Click.

You have never heard of our builder group.
Every time you hear this phrase from now on you will associate it with something of the home improvement channel.
Now go home.
Click.
wink.gif
Quote:

I just got a UXL-18/CV5000 a little while ago, and also have plans for building SEOS kits.
We’re looking at a detached home tonight that probably won’t be as nice, and where the rent is 33% more expensive, just so I can turn the speakers/sub up.
Am I crazy?

Yes, you are crazy.

Not for buying the UXL/CV and moving to play louder (what is this? wink.gif ), but rather, for wanting to pay for someone else's mortgage with a 33% increase!
I'd rather see you land an unbacked LOC (prime+1), just don't tell the bank about what it's actually for; then use that as a down payment on a house (of another bank). If you do go that way, it's best when you can delay a year (or more) so that the transactions don't look associated together.
post #19 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I remember those apartment days in 2000-2001.... painful. Every time the volume went above conversation level I'd hear my upstairs neighbor stomping on her floor. That was the biggest reason I hated not having a house. Now I don't know what I would do if I lost the ability to go as loud as I want anytime I want, even in the middle of the night. Of course I don't often do that but it's so nice to know that you can.

That said, don't rent. Suck it up and wait until you've saved enough for a down payment on a house it will be sooooo worth it in the long run.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

This thread is now about uploading satellite photos of where you live/how close your neighbors are. lol

This is where I currently live. Note that there are multiple neighbors on both sides.

Summer is usually a little slower. This fall will be exciting when the new electronics get introduced at CEDIA. Just a little over a month away. smile.gif

post #21 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

That said, don't rent. Suck it up and wait until you've saved enough for a down payment on a house it will be sooooo worth it in the long run.

Exactly. I "didn't" lose $23,000 this year; and increased my disposable income by $8000 per year, and additionally I increased my gross worth by almost $1 million this year; and I plan to increase this by 66% over the next 10 years, and additionally quadruple my net worth over that time.

How?
By simply NOT renting. That's how expensive renting is.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I have to stay at this job for one more year. After that, we plan on moving to a town where the housing is cheaper and the jobs pay more. At that point we will buy a house. It's not like I plan on being a renter for the rest of my life (I'm only 24).
post #23 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Kudos at 24 man, you have time. The sooner the better. I am 30 and a proud home-loan owner for 3 years now, and I am still the only of my local friends that have bought a home. It's truly sad.
pgwalsh likes this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #24 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I've only been out of college for 2 years. I landed a job immediately in my field of choice that did not require any experience, but which was in a vacation/resort town. I don't plan on being here longer than I have to. The rent is too damn high (lol), and the jobs don't pay that well.

I am going to get 3 years of experience here and then will try and get a better paying job in the town where I plan on living for the foreseeable future.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 261
My current house only has 1 neighbor and he's a good dude. I live in a culdesac and am on the end, there are 10 houses in there. I'm on the street side (which sucks but not having another neighbor is sweet) and the neighbor I do have owns " the video re-fit shop" that fixes TV and electronics, that part is good. He says he can hear me when I'm pumping movies but doesn't care, says it doesn't bother him at all.

My new place that we are trying to build has been quite the clusterfu$#. We bought 2 lots and have permission to build in the middle of the 2 once the area we bought in gets stated. It's been almost 2 years and they are still fighting red tape to start in our area. It's very close to the point where we will just get out money back (written in out purchase agreement) and look at something else but the house planned is going to be way to sweet to give up on. Fully built HT room 20 x 24 x 12, 4 car garage, a 80 x 60 shop, pool deck etc and I'd have no neighbors behind me. I'm still hopeful but I guess we'll see how it goes.
I've got plans for 24 x 21" or 18" subs in the room..... I want it soooooo bad hahaha

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #26 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Kudos at 24 man, you have time. The sooner the better. I am 30 and a proud home-loan owner for 3 years now, and I am still the only of my local friends that have bought a home. It's truly sad.

I agree, don't waste the money on renting if you do not have to. Built my first house when I was 27. I am a little older than you, so now days no mortgage. smile.gif

post #27 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 PM

Liked: 21
I've got plans for 24 x 21" or 18" subs in the room..... I want it soooooo bad hahaha[/quote]

Drool.............

Klipsch La Scalas with original AA crossovers - L/R
Klipsch La Scala split with AL-3 crossover - Center
Sony SSF - 5000 - surrounds
Dayton DIY sealed 18" sub and full sized Marty powered by EP 4000 bridged
Sony 55" 240 LED TV
post #28 of 30 Old 07-20-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well, crazy or not- it's happening. We'll be moving in to this place in a couple weeks. The part circled in blue will be my new game room. It's this huge (compared to what I have currently, anyway) addition to the house that I guess can't technically be considered a bedroom.

post #29 of 30 Old 07-21-2013, 06:06 AM

Liked: 13
Buying a house is great, as long as the timing is right for both you and the market. Living in Las Vegas (ground zero for the housing bust), I know a lot of people (a lot) who have approached economic ruin when the market collapsed. Certainly, times are better now than the were a few years ago; but the long held belief that buying a home is always the right decision has been proven wrong in a big way. Don't feel bad for renting until you know you have the right job in the right place.
post #30 of 30 Old 07-21-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad1377 View Post

Buying a house is great, as long as the timing is right for both you and the market. Living in Las Vegas (ground zero for the housing bust), I know a lot of people (a lot) who have approached economic ruin when the market collapsed. Certainly, times are better now than the were a few years ago; but the long held belief that buying a home is always the right decision has been proven wrong in a big way. Don't feel bad for renting until you know you have the right job in the right place.
Vegas properties are rather inexpensive right now, but if anyone payed attention to what was going on with the casino's they would have realized the market was in trouble. I personally do not see that area as a good investment.

When I bought my house, I bought during the crash and I bought a bank owned home. I've had the house estimated by two separate companies and each has come up with a figure of more than twice what I payed. I had a good real estate agent. I wanted to look at all homes, but he insisted we only look at foreclosure's or bank owned properties. If you're handy, it might be worth looking at homes that just need a face lift, they tend to be better deals.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Cerwin Vega Cv 5000 High Performance Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page