Fusion 8 Alchemy MTM - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone on owned, built, or heard the Fusion 8 Alchemy MTM speakers? http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion8-mtm-kit.html

I am seriously considering putting together three of these as my front right, left, and center and would like any impressions or input on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 779
http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch?search=fusion+8+alchemy

post #3 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 PM

Liked: 14
That's two different speakers. I've been wondering about the few available SEOS or waveguide centers on DiySG.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah but I got zip on searching with the mtm tacked on smile.gif One way to find out is for the OP to TOFTT! I'm really tempted to try one of the SEOS kits but need to figure out where the heck I'd do the assembly and finishing work...

post #5 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 PM

Liked: 16
I built my zephyrs in the kitchen of my apartment, including duratex!
post #6 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

My kitchen's too small and used for food....it'll probably be the bar room which already acts as my bike maintenance station.

post #7 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Believe me I have tried searching for an MTM model review on here and elsewhere and can find nothing. All I can find is the regular Fusion 8 reviews. frown.gif
post #8 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'm building one right now. I'm done the box and crossover, I put roundovers on it today and did a layer of wood filler. I'll keep you updated.

I'm going to build the tempests later as my L/R. I think the 80 bucks extra is way worth it for a huge upgrade in sensitivity, driver quality, extension, and power handling.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

I'm building one right now. I'm done the box and crossover, I put roundovers on it today and did a layer of wood filler.
If you have the time, please do make a thread when you get the Alchemy MTM wrapped up. That design could be a critical missing piece for those like myself who need a modestly-sized center speaker to lie under the television in a SEOS-powered living room theater. Love to hear your impressions.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Jwagstaff!! any input would be great!! I have never attempted DIY and I am nervous about the quality vs pre manufactured. I was decided on the SVS Ultra bookshelves and center until I came across the DIY thread and would really like to try it out. I do not have unlimited funds so I want to make a good decision on a proven design and build something I will happy with for a very long time. I figure 3 Alchemy MTMs would run me around $1,000 compared to the $1,700 I would be paying for the SVS LCR. I have been in contact with Erich at DISYG and getting a price for 3 flat packs MTMs. I am just trying to get over my uneasiness of going this route. The SVS I could return and get a refund If I was not happy for some reason. I do not think getting a refund would be much of an option if I hated the assembled Alchemy MTMs so I want make a decision with as much info as possible smile.gif I have also looked at the Tempest and was considering those. I really like the design of the MTM though. The MTM would fit into my existing setup much better though. If I were to go with an all tempest LCR I would have to raise my wall mounted projector screen up a few inches to cover the height for the center Tempest. I have considered that if the quality is that much better over the MTM model. decisions, decisions.....
post #11 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0742003 View Post

Thank you Jwagstaff!! any input would be great!! I have never attempted DIY and I am nervous about the quality vs pre manufactured. I was decided on the SVS Ultra bookshelves and center until I came across the DIY thread and would really like to try it out. I do not have unlimited funds so I want to make a good decision on a proven design and build something I will happy with for a very long time. I figure 3 Alchemy MTMs would run me around $1,000 compared to the $1,700 I would be paying for the SVS LCR. I have been in contact with Erich at DISYG and getting a price for 3 flat packs MTMs. I am just trying to get over my uneasiness of going this route. The SVS I could return and get a refund If I was not happy for some reason. I do not think getting a refund would be much of an option if I hated the assembled Alchemy MTMs so I want make a decision with as much info as possible smile.gif I have also looked at the Tempest and was considering those. I really like the design of the MTM though. The MTM would fit into my existing setup much better though. If I were to go with an all tempest LCR I would have to raise my wall mounted projector screen up a few inches to cover the height for the center Tempest. I have considered that if the quality is that much better over the MTM model. decisions, decisions.....

I think you are making the right decision with regards to SVS versus DIY, but with that being said, I would go for the Tempest. for your LCR, then take your left over funds and purchase a Dayton HO18 or Stereo Integrity 18D for the subwoofer duties. either one of those would beat anything SVS and/or HSU has to offer. You could get a Behringer EP4000 amp to power them with, and heck, you will probably have enough money left over for two subs, and that would smoke just about any other commercial subwoofer available, with a few exceptions of course.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 06:57 AM

Liked: 14
Maybe Jeff Bagby could comment on the Tempest vs Fusion 8 mtm.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I think you are making the right decision with regards to SVS versus DIY, but with that being said, I would go for the Tempest. for your LCR, then take your left over funds and purchase a Dayton HO18 or Stereo Integrity 18D for the subwoofer duties. either one of those would beat anything SVS and/or HSU has to offer. You could get a Behringer EP4000 amp to power them with, and heck, you will probably have enough money left over for two subs, and that would smoke just about any other commercial subwoofer available, with a few exceptions of course.

I am running the SVS PB13 Ultra in my existing setup and I am more than happy with its performance. The Dayton or Stereo Integrity subs may smoke it but I am going with "ignorance is bliss" on that one. I am running axiom M22s as my LR and the VP180 as my center. I have never really been happy with those which is why I am looking at upgrading.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Fusion 8 Inch Super Slim Under Seat 300w Amplified Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - 300w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page