My Cheap Thrills Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 164 Old 08-24-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Me too - but this is my only MDF project to date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 164 Old 08-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I have had my fair share of screwdrivers go through surrounds, yours looks perfectly fixable. That's nothing compared to what happened a 2242HPL I have looked like when after a bumpy 300mi drive without being properly secured rolleyes.gif.

A little glue and it will be fine. I use this for parts the need to remain flexible:http://www.surehold.com/adhesives/13-sure-flex-360.html

You can predrill in MDF, just use a smaller then normal bit if you are worried about stripping. I sometimes predrill with the woofer or waveguide sitting there just to make sure things are lined up.
post #153 of 164 Old 08-24-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 482
I made sure to purchase a couple extra woofers for just this sort of thing. Let me know if you need one.

Also, next time you put a screw in, always put the palm of your free hand face down to the inside of the screw you're installing. If by some chance you slip, you'll need a bandage on your hand for a few days versus a new woofer. biggrin.gif
post #154 of 164 Old 08-24-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I made sure to purchase a couple extra woofers for just this sort of thing. Let me know if you need one.

Also, next time you put a screw in, always put the palm of your free hand face down to the inside of the screw you're installing. If by some chance you slip, you'll need a bandage on your hand for a few days versus a new woofer. biggrin.gif

oh my God, you just saved me. I MIGHT be able to repair with some glue but I'd never be able to live with it , always second guessing. I'll repair this one as a backup and get one off of you. I tried to pm you but it says there's a problem with the server ... I emailed you in the contact email from your website a bit earlier hoping you had one. the name is Mike in that email (you'll see I attached the same horrifying picture to it as well :D0
post #155 of 164 Old 08-24-2013, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
yeah you should always pre-drill mdf. screwing it in with a drill just splits the mdf all over.
post #156 of 164 Old 08-25-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Bummer dude!! eek.gif

I would repair that tear with a small patch of 3/4 oz. fiberglass cloth impregnated with the glue that MTG90 recommended. When it dries, it should be air tight, flexible and strong. Buy the spare from Erich, but fix the hole as a backup for the day when something worse happens....

Mike
post #157 of 164 Old 08-25-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Pre-drill holes with power drill, install screw with common screw driver, by hand.

+ 1000

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #158 of 164 Old 08-25-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post

Bummer dude!! eek.gif

I would repair that tear with a small patch of 3/4 oz. fiberglass cloth impregnated with the glue that MTG90 recommended. When it dries, it should be air tight, flexible and strong. Buy the spare from Erich, but fix the hole as a backup for the day when something worse happens....

Mike

yeah, that's exactly what I'm gonna do in regards to the driver. get the other one from Eric and use this as a backup... can I get that fiberglass cloth locally...same hd or lowes?, or a craft store like Michaels or Hancock fabrics? or is it more of a hobby thing.

my only question with impregnating the cloth with the glue was that mtg90 mentioned that I should try to use as little glue as possible because under high excursion the surround could make "ticking" noises ...ala two tacky surfaces coming into contact and separating constantly.... with the cloth it would add more surface area for the "tacky" substance to come in contact with. but if that cloth works it would def make it airtight.

on a side note. looks like I'm pre-drilling the mdf from here on out. on all the subs I've built and messed with the drivers I've NEVER pre-drilled. just used self tapping screws with a mini cordless drill and went to town. never had a bad experience. I guess there's a time in every DIY builders life when he skates the line too close. lesson learned.
post #159 of 164 Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm not sure what to say about the quantity of glue. I've never attempted such a repair myself. I have read about guys making custom ducting for car turbo systems using silicone seal and fiberglass, and that is where I got the idea for your repair. With regards to the fiberglass cloth, the 3/4 Oz cloth is pretty specialized for its light weight. The RC guys use it on their airplanes because it is so light and strong. You might find it at a hobby shop, but not at your typical hardware store.

I would make a much larger patch with the fiberglass and tape it down to a large ZipLoc bag. Then, saturate the cloth with the glue to wet-out the cloth. Remove as much of the glue as you can once the cloth is saturated. Apply a thin coat of glue to the area of the hole about the size of your intended patch. Use a razor blade to cut out the size patch you want, then transfer the patch with the plastic bag as a stiffener and position the patch over the hole. Tease the patch off the plastic with a tooth pick and allow it to dry. Alternatively, you can leave the plastic in place until the glue dries, so long as it does not cause the patch to lift away from the surround (you might want to test this first, to make sure the plastic will pull away from the glue after it dries).

Good luck!

Mike
post #160 of 164 Old 08-27-2013, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

gotcha, I'll do some tests first. see if I can get ahold of some of the cloth. right now I've been playing with my 2 remaining CT's and oohhhh these things are beautiful. just played Episode I (star wars) on these babies with phantom center and they are a treat. the lightsabers have never sounded this good and I'm hearing TONS of things I never heard before...the rustle of the jedi robes coming off their shoulders, the tink of pebbles under foot. just incredible.

now I'm impatiently waiting to get ahold of another Celestion woofer and get that center up and running biggrin.gif.
post #161 of 164 Old 08-27-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post

I'm not sure what to say about the quantity of glue. I've never attempted such a repair myself. I have read about guys making custom ducting for car turbo systems using silicone seal and fiberglass, and that is where I got the idea for your repair. With regards to the fiberglass cloth, the 3/4 Oz cloth is pretty specialized for its light weight. The RC guys use it on their airplanes because it is so light and strong. You might find it at a hobby shop, but not at your typical hardware store.

I would make a much larger patch with the fiberglass and tape it down to a large ZipLoc bag. Then, saturate the cloth with the glue to wet-out the cloth. Remove as much of the glue as you can once the cloth is saturated. Apply a thin coat of glue to the area of the hole about the size of your intended patch. Use a razor blade to cut out the size patch you want, then transfer the patch with the plastic bag as a stiffener and position the patch over the hole. Tease the patch off the plastic with a tooth pick and allow it to dry. Alternatively, you can leave the plastic in place until the glue dries, so long as it does not cause the patch to lift away from the surround (you might want to test this first, to make sure the plastic will pull away from the glue after it dries).

Good luck!

Mike

oh, and another suggestion I saw mentioned online for the patch was using a slice of pantyhose or other lightweight cloth and do the same thing. that I have readily available.
post #162 of 164 Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I did something similar to a very expensive woofer in my car back in college. I fixed it with contact cement and a piece cut from an unlubricated condom. The rubber was thin and flexible and glued perfectly to the rear of the surround.That patch lasted for years without coming loose or the tear getting worse despite lots of abuse of the woofer.
post #163 of 164 Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

followed MTG90's advice and just patched the seam with sureflex glue. seems to be holding like a rock and these mid woofers don't seem to vibrate much, so here's to hoping it stays. now I got my center up and running. just waiting on the replacement woofer from Eric and I'll have it as a backup for when this one goes one of these days or something...

and them all setup with my twin THT's and 120 inch screen.

the front soundstage with these up there is incredible.... totally immersive experience.

post #164 of 164 Old 09-21-2013, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Personally I place the driver, mark the holes, remove the driver, pre drill them, then when ready to install the driver I place my thumb on the surround next to the screw and press the surround to the side so if my screw driver slips it hits my thumb instead of punching through the surround.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs2 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page