post #31 of 35 Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

REALLY nice work. if you don't mind sharing your technique, folks would love to know what it takes to get this kind of quality. the roundover looks pretty aggressive, but maybe its just an illusion. what size bit did you put on that?

I will start off this reply by saying outright that I am in no way an expert and what I do is completely self taught. So here is how I do my sub box. Since I have no experience with wood finishes ,other than a little veneer with urethane I choose to use an automotive finish. Most of what I do involves a lot of sanding ,the smoother the surface the fewer imperfections in the paint. The paint is called Nason which is a DuPont budget line. I use 2 or 3 coats of 2k primer filler then 2or 3 coats of base color followed by 4 or 5 medium coats of Clear. On these boxes I sprayed all the clear coats without any sanding in between, On future projects I will probably sand in between every second coat or spray one side of the box at a time so the clears levels itself better. I waited 24 hours for the clear to harden then sanded it with 2000 wet or dry sandpaper using the wet option . Its called color sanding for some reason. Anything much coarser than 1000 will leave sanding marks in the clear and they are a real biotch to buff out. So I just sand and spray and wipe and inspect for hours and hours until I am satisfied its as smooth as I can get it. I use maguires #2 buffing compound with a foam pad on my big heavy buffer to get the initial shine then I switch to a wool pad to get the final shine. I use less and less pressure on the buffer pad as the shine starts to come out. I clean the pads a lot during the process and i keep the pads moist while buffing. After it is really shiny i use maguires swirl remover with the buffer then follow up with Mothers spray on wax. I do all my polishing under fluorescent lights which makes every imperfection stand out. I work at it untill i cant get it to look any better. When it is inside with normal lighting it looks fantastic.(to me smile.gif )

The round over is 3/4 inch. I just took a guess and chose that and i think it looks good.

Richard
LTD02 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

All done, it Twins biggrin.gif

20130801_123250Small_zpsf048f569.jpg

20130801_123240Small_zps2072b982.jpg
LTD02 likes this.
post #33 of 35 Old 08-01-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Looks great. Difficult to see in that photo though.

Enjoy.
post #34 of 35 Old 08-01-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice looking TWINS...
post #35 of 35 Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Looks great. Difficult to see in that photo though.

Enjoy.

Yeah sorry bout that. Get some more tonite, I was tired and cranky and hunnnngrrrrrry when I finished up last nite.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page