using two sources to a single subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-22-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning out some upgrades for my HT room. The current environment that I have is a Ascend acoustics 5 channel system (CBM170's with a 340 center channel) along with an IB for the subwoofer section. The AVR is a Pioneer 1120-K and the subwoofer AMP is a Behringer EP1500.

I am thinking about an upgrade to my front 3 speakers, and going DIY for the speakers. The L/C/R have to be bookshelf speakers that sit on shelfs that are positioned around the flat panel. The current problem that I am having is a localization problem with the bass during some higher volume LFE. To minimize this, I am thinking about putting a 10 or 12" sub in the front of the room on the floor. Hopefully this will minimize the . I am just trying to decide how to tie that into the main system. What I want to do is be able to set the front L and R speakers to "large" and have no cross-over on them. To do this, I am thinking of using a mini-DSP with a 2x4 that will set the cross over to the subwoofer.

So what I am thinking about doing is this. Adding a single 12" subwoofer to the environment and feeding it 2 sources. The first source will be the front Left and right, crossed over at 60 or 80 Hz (depending on which DIY kit I choose for my L and R channels) and the second source will be the full LFE. Is this possible? Will it work, or will it just confuse everything?

In effect, if this works like I am hoping, is that in Stereo mode, the IB will be off because the receiver will only be passing the 2 channel out to the Left and right speakers, which in turn will be processed by the mini-DSP. When you are listening to multi channel content, the IB will be utilized and the front subwoofer will ALSO get signals from this as well.

The biggest driver for this is that I won't get approval to add 2 subwoofers to the floor. I have not even asked for a single sub yet, my wife already thinks the IB is irritating because it shakes the living room floor when I am playing video games and she sitting in the living room trying to read. So adding a single subwoofer will take some "convincing" and adding 2 would kill the whole project before the credit card gets out of my wallet.

I have attached a few photos to help illustrate what I am talking about, I hope this helps.

Here is the front stage, the small pictures hanging above the speakers can find new homes. As you can see I have shelfs that are already mounted on the wall that are not moving. The speakers (CBM170's) are sitting on the front edges of the shelf and are toed in so that they point at the opposite edge of the listening area which is the couch that I was sitting on when I took that picture and the center of the port is approx. 4.5~5" from the wall sitting on the shelves.
frontstage.jpg

Here is what I am thinking
proposedsubwoofer.jpg

In the small and short corner created by the edge of the hearth. It doesn't get hot there so the speaker will be in no jeopardy.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 367
This is similar to what I do.

I have 10 subs each with independent crossovers and amp channels, feed by L, R and LFE.

I use a DCX, it inputs L, R, LFE and outputs 6 channels.
How I connect the other 4 is beyond the scope of this thread so I'll leave it at that...

but basically I have two pairs of 5 subs for L and R music-mode; and for movie-mode I can switch up to 6 subs to do LFE duty (usually just two is sufficient with the other 8 continuing to be L, R).

The miniDSP can probably do similar channel matrixing as well.

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page