Regular screws to mount driver in a THT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm building a THT and the hole in my baffle somehow (i suck) got cut a teensy bit bigger than optimal so I don't think t-nuts or hurricane nuts will work. Will regular wood screws hold it in securely?

Also I got 3 5 x 5 sheets of baltic birch. I got all the pieces cut and most are assembled. I'm guessing maybe that 3 5x5's doesn't factor in all the bracing b/c I'm out of wood and still have 6 braces to go. Is there any kind of wood good enough for braces @ Lowes? I don't want to wait another week for my wood guy to get the good stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just use MDF for bracing
Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Is there any kind of wood good enough for braces @ Lowes?
Any decent grade five equal thickness ply 1/2" plywood will serve. BTW, it's suggested for a good reason in the email that accompanied your plans that questions be posted at my forum. There you'll always get an answer from someone who has actual experience building my cabs, so you won't get unwarranted suggestions from those who have not.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Any decent grade five equal thickness ply 1/2" plywood will serve. BTW, it's suggested for a good reason in the email that accompanied your plans that questions be posted at my forum. There you'll always get an answer from someone who has actual experience building my cabs, so you won't get unwarranted suggestions from those who have not.
Thanks Bill, I ended up going across the road to my cabinet making cousin and have enough of the good stuff to finish it properly. Now if it just wasn't like 100 degrees outside.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
When you put that amount of work into it, you should definitely use the right stuff to finish it up biggrin.gif
Old 07-23-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz View Post

When you put that amount of work into it, you should definitely use the right stuff to finish it up biggrin.gif
I'm not a great woodworker but my dad has been a carpenter for a long time so I pretty much stand around and give tips and hand him tools and such. It's childs play for him. I wish I had the know-how he does. Just got started on it late yesterday afternoon and just have a few more panels and braces to put on. I'm pretty excited.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not a great woodworker but my dad has been a carpenter for a long time so I pretty much stand around and give tips and hand him tools and such. It's childs play for him. I wish I had the know-how he does. Just got started on it late yesterday afternoon and just have a few more panels and braces to put on. I'm pretty excited.
Just make sure he follows the plans to a T. Some of the worst results have come from experienced carpenters who assume that they know it all and find directions as insulting to their manhood as a Roman taxi driver does a stop light. There's a big difference between building a kitchen cabinet and a speaker cabinet. The worst I ever saw was done by an Amish master carpenter, who basically ignored the plans entirely, and his customer ended up with expensive firewood. He should have been tipped off when he brought the driver to the carpenter, who stated "I've never seen one of those". eek.gif
squeakybirnbaum likes this.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just make sure he follows the plans to a T. Some of the worst results have come from experienced carpenters who assume that they know it all and find directions as insulting to their manhood as a Roman taxi driver does a stop light. There's a big difference between building a kitchen cabinet and a speaker cabinet. The worst I ever saw was done by an Amish master carpenter, who basically ignored the plans entirely, and his customer ended up with expensive firewood. He should have been tipped off when he brought the driver to the carpenter, who stated "I've never seen one of those". eek.gif
Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. I had a cabinet maker friend help build me a big 10 cubic foot box for my dayton 15 and he ended up slapping one together out of 1/2" ply in about 20 minutes. Needless to say, t doesn't sound great. That's when I found the THT plans. I was by his side the whole time and we read every instruction carefully. I'm really happy with it. Now just letting the PL dry tonight and then tomorrow we'll get the access panel done and the side on. It didn't take near as long as I thought it would.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

LOL, I read your post and when I saw the THT pics I actually said this out loud:

squeakybirnbaum likes this.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

LOL, I read your post and when I saw the THT pics I actually said this out loud:

Haha, thanks. Can't wait to get it hooked up tomorrow. If it's half as good as what everyone is saying I'll be all
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

So did you hook it up??? Did it blow your brains to the rear wall?
Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

So did you hook it up??? Did it blow your brains to the rear wall?
Got it all put together and took it over to my cabinet-guy cousin to stain it and seal it and all that on Sunday morning b/c he has a sprayer. Stained it right then with some dark walnut custom concoction that he had left over that someone else didn't like . Now I'm waiting for him to spray it. It's been raining off and on since then and he's also been saying it's too muggy. Not sure if he's full of it and doesn't feel like doing it or if it actually is.

I'm going crazy waiting to hear this beast. When I get it back home we're putting trim on it and making a frame with speaker cloth for the opening. I knew if I took it inside and listened to it I wouldn't ever take it back out and it would be a huge plain birch box sitting in the house forever.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Sure seems like a convenient excuse lol... Tell him your interwebz friends are all waiting for him biggrin.gif
Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally got it all done a few days ago. It's nice to have a carpenter and cabinet maker within walking distance. Now I had to return my Denon 1712 and my new one should be here on Thursday and I can run Audyssey XT and get it all set up. I got to listen to it for a little while with my 2 bass shakers in the couch and it's awesome. The room that it's in has concrete floors and opens to another room but it still has plenty of oomph. In order to not be ridiculously over the top I have my BASH 300 amp at like 1/8 gain. With the gain at 1/8 audyssey was still setting the sub level at -12 (as far as it can go) so I'll have to turn it down a little further.
diaz likes this.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Nice!!! 1/8th is pretty low, I have mine set at about 1/3 and it is set at -8.5dB with the mic. Maybe your room is smaller?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In order to not be ridiculously over the top I have my BASH 300 amp at like 1/8 gain. With the gain at 1/8 audyssey was still setting the sub level at -12 (as far as it can go) so I'll have to turn it down a little further.
Once you install a high sensitivity sub it makes the deficiencies of low sensitivity mains painfully obvious. mad.gif
Adding high sensitivity mains takes care of that. cool.gif

Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Once you install a high sensitivity sub it makes the deficiencies of low sensitivity mains painfully obvious. mad.gif
Adding high sensitivity mains takes care of that. cool.gif
My mains are Tritrix's. Not sure how sensitive they are.

Thanks for the awesome plans Bill, you are a sound genius.