4 speaker Infinity 1262 build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a carry over from Thomas1966, I was hi-jacking his thread and Jay came up w/ a neat design on something I've been contemplating.

Originally I was thinking 2 Dayton 15" Ultimax but a set of 4 Infinity 12's 1260/1262 was suggested. They have a great efficiency rating and they could potentially save me some much needed money.

I have 2 Kappa 10's in my truck pushed by a Alpine PDX M6 600 rms and I'm pleased so far.

But to continue.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

If you go with the 1262W you can put two drivers in a single box, and wire them together for a 4 ohm load. You could put both of them in a 3 ft3 box. Ported will get you better bang for your buck, 6 ft3 would be needed for a pair of drivers per box.

You're looking at something like 15" x 26" x 18" for 3 ft3. Or 19" x 30" x 24" for 6 ft3

Above is with 650 watts. You can see the ported is significantly stronger from 50hz - 20hz, the range that makes you hold on to your seat when something big goes boom... You can look at building your own subs in many different ways, but you can design them to fit your needs, and maximize your system. For example, the larger boxes could simply be built as "end tables", with some kind of nice counter top material on top, tell your wife feel free to decorate wink.gif

(this is just an example of a similar design)

Anyways, starting your own thread over here might be a good idea, we're kind of jacking this one.

Jay, that end table idea is really awesome. I have been wanting something that down fires. W/ a clawed cat, 2 large dogs and our family running around I fear a side mounted speaker near the couch is a accident waiting to happen. Every cabinet build I see is very large and complex, and often the speaker is front facing. I know the wife wouldn't be excited about that.

The down firing gives us a lot more options and if I'm reading your specs right, the 6ft3 is for 2 speakers in a single large end table like in the photo-design is the ported version?

And the 3ft3 is for a sealed version?

I'm gonna cheat by asking but do you already have a set of plans for this end-table design?

Still a stereo Noob, Denon 2113 w/ Arx5 & A1b surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Now you're getting into the spirit of things around here biggrin.gif

No I do not have plans, other then what I just gave you with basic outer dimensions using 3/4" material. Those dimensions also account for the pair of 4" x 18" ports that are needed to properly port the dual woofer design. Yes that 6 ft3 is for two woofers in one box just like the cabinet shown. 6 ft3 is a reasonable volume based on you not wanting massive subs, but you could simply build a sub exactly like that sketch-up picture I posted, that will get you 7.5 ft3 and still work very well, in fact you would get even better extension with the larger box. Or you could simply drop the 35" dimension down to 29" and have a 6 ft3 sub. Lots of possibilities, nothing is set in stone as long as you are in the ball park of what works for the driver/amp combo.

Yes 3 ft3 was two woofers in a sealed box.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-30-2013, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Now you're getting into the spirit of things around here biggrin.gif

No I do not have plans, other then what I just gave you with basic outer dimensions using 3/4" material. Those dimensions also account for the pair of 4" x 18" ports that are needed to properly port the dual woofer design. Yes that 6 ft3 is for two woofers in one box just like the cabinet shown. 6 ft3 is a reasonable volume based on you not wanting massive subs, but you could simply build a sub exactly like that sketch-up picture I posted, that will get you 7.5 ft3 and still work very well, in fact you would get even better extension with the larger box. Or you could simply drop the 35" dimension down to 29" and have a 6 ft3 sub. Lots of possibilities, nothing is set in stone as long as you are in the ball park of what works for the driver/amp combo.

Yes 3 ft3 was two woofers in a sealed box.

What's your thought(s) on the 1260 and 62?

1260- http://us.infinitysystems.com/tl_files/catalog//Infinity/Infinity-Car/Specsheets/Reference/Reference/1260w/REF1260W_PI_EN.pdf

1262- http://infinitysystems.com/tl_files/catalog//Infinity/Infinity-Car/Specsheets/Reference/Reference/1262w/REF1262W_PI_EN.pdf

I was thinking a Inuke 1000 or 3000. I think I saw a peavey as well but everyone seems to rave about the Inuke minus the cooling fan, which I'd mod.

And where do the ports exit? I kind of see them in the sketch but it looks like the speakers share space and the ports are hanging in mid air.

Still a stereo Noob, Denon 2113 w/ Arx5 & A1b surrounds.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The 1262 has dual 4 ohm coils, so each driver can be wired for either 2 ohm or 8 ohm. That allows you to wire a pair of the 1262's to 4 ohms, which works best for most non car audio equipment.

The 1260 is a single 4 ohm coil, so these drivers are ideal for individual use.

The NU3000 will provide the right amount of power to maximize a pair of the infinities per channel. If you go with a ported box you need the DSP version of the amp in order to set a 20 hz high pass filter, if you go sealed you can get away without a filter, but that also removes the possibility of EQing your sub.

The ports can exit where ever you need them, as long as the inner opening is 4" form the inner wall, and the outer opening will not be pushed up against a wall. You can modify the height of the sub to allow for the ports to down fire, and make the legs 4" high. ABS pipe is very strong, 1/8" thick plastic, connecting it to the cabinet at two points is really all that's needed.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page