more audiophilia gone wrong - piece in Wired magazine - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So much money so poorly spent. Check out the final pic at the bottom for his fabulously "treated" room.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/07/wired-life-audiophile/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy497 View Post

So much money so poorly spent. Check out the final pic at the bottom for his fabulously "treated" room.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/07/wired-life-audiophile/
Does the $20,000 cable come with a life time supply of crack?

Builds: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 x 5. 
post #3 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The best quote is that $100,000.00 will put you into "low-end territory". What.
post #4 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

I think his premise might be that will sound low end when you begin by re-purposing a listening room out of your old racquet ball court.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 62
"And that’s the fallacy of blind A-B tests in audio"

I almost feel bad for someone who no longer believes in the authenticity of a scientific experiment

Edit:

I almost missed this one "You have to be careful with these woofers". It looks like he has a grand total of 300 watts in his system. Not just for the bass drivers, but total. I'm sorry, you dont' need to be careful with them.
Rebel975 likes this.
post #6 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

I almost missed this one "You have to be careful with these woofers". It looks like he has a grand total of 300 watts in his system. Not just for the bass drivers, but total. I'm sorry, you dont' need to be careful with them.

but.. but... the cracks in the wall. biggrin.gif

Builds: 
 x 5. 
post #7 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Once again P.T. Barnum is in play (or was it W.C.Fields)?
post #8 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 274
“There's a sucker born every minute.”
― P.T. Barnum

post #9 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
“When you get into mega-expensive equipment, what you get is very much like wine. Say you usually drink $10-15 wines, and then you get a $25-30 bottle and it’s a little better,” he explains. “The problem is, if you start drinking those $30 bottles and go back to a $10 bottle, you notice the difference right away. And that’s the fallacy of blind A-B tests in audio — it is an acquired palette and it takes time to build it.”

What an absolute load of crap. You cant immediately taste the difference between two different wines if you're blindfolded? Wow. Obviously if there's a worthwhile difference it will be immediately noticed no matter what you're A-B testing. We wont even touch on the ignorance of not trying to find cheaper products (or wines) that are just as good as the more expensive varieties...

Quote:
If you want to be a player in today’s hi-fi scene, Grellman says that $100,000 will put you in low-end territory. If you can spend between $200,000 and $300,000, you can buy a very, very good system. And for the best of the best? A million should do the trick. Of course, spending a boatload of money doesn’t always mean you get a great-sounding system.

This really sums up the problem with the entire hifi industry, you're just kidding yourself that your system is any good until it hits some magical milestone based on $$$ rolleyes.gif

post #10 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Of course, spending a boatload of money doesn’t always mean you get a great-sounding system.

post #11 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Here is a video of an audiophile taking an blind A/B/X test and failing.

Fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

"You have to be careful with these woofers". It looks like he has a grand total of 300 watts in his system. Not just for the bass drivers, but total. I'm sorry, you dont' need to be careful with them.
Exactly, I can't even crack the paint seams that holds together the drywall at anything less than 130db @ 20hz; and I have way more than 2 15's and 300watts.

Quote:

That is because $100k only buys them the arm (which is because they are being ripped off.) That's the only reason they need the $millions (to line the dealers pockets).

It does make me want to hear their system though, just to see for myself what I "might" be missing with my "low fi" system.
It also makes me want to force them to do a blind A/B/X test against a much cheaper system of a known/measurable sound quality, and not lift the curtain for a whole year after they selected the winner (which isn't theirs BTW)... just to make them break down and cry in joy at the saved money and their foolishness.

I "only" spent $15,000 on my electronics and $15,000 of my DIY speakers/subs and another $20,000 on my room. Pffft such low-fi garbage biggrin.gif

Quote:

Check out the final pic at the bottom for his fabulously "treated" room.
Indeed, looks like a welfare-shack in that regard, rather than a serious-audiophile's room.
binarysoldier likes this.

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #12 of 31 Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The Sirius TT really is a fantastic piece of engineering, and if I was awash with loose cash, I'd love to have one. As well as a Nakamichi Dragon for the same reason. But not for a second do I believe the Sirius would be worth the difference in price over my SP10s purely in terms of SQ.

Sadly, he just comes across as a rich audiophile wanker in the rest of it.
post #13 of 31 Old 07-31-2013, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

I "only" spent $15,000 on my electronics and $15,000 of my DIY speakers/subs and another $20,000 on my room. Pffft such low-fi garbage biggrin.gif

eek.gif I guess then my 15k system is nothing more than a thrift shop find tongue.gif

Question for you guys: Does anyone else routinely have people think that we are all the type of audiophile in the article, that we only deem ultra high-priced gear as being worthy of using regardless of actual performance? It's guys like him that make me cringe a little when I'm asked if I'm an audiophile.
post #14 of 31 Old 07-31-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 353
For $5458, you could get a 7 channel system of
This: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/
This: http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpr5
and this: http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpr1

For another $5-6000
A quad of these with 18kW's of amplification:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=293-666

For another $2000...
7 SEOS kits & parts

For $12,000 that's one heck of a solid foundation. Well on your way to besting 99.999% of the AV population.

That is... *IF* I was to do it all over again from scratch with 2013 tech, based on what I know thus far.

Much beyond that and you'd have to start singing the "rip off" song (and should start second-guessing every decision made).

Then you'd just need to splash for the projector, room and a few miscellaneous things.

If nothing, that could be used as a "basic" Hi-Fi reference baseline, from which to expand upon and/or judge value-based vertical ascension.

This would be just for one room of course, if you want home automation and TV's in the shower with touch screens etc, expect to pay more, a lot more.
There's almost no limit to how "fancy" one can get with the wallet;
and there is always something better, now or... coming soon!!! wink.gif

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #15 of 31 Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For another $5-6000

For another $2000...
7 SEOS kits & parts

For $12,000 that's one heck of a solid foundation. Well on your way to besting 99.999% of the AV population.

That is... *IF* I was to do it all over again from scratch with 2013 tech, based on what I know thus far.

Much beyond that and you'd have to start singing the "rip off" song (and should start second-guessing every decision made).

Then you'd just need to splash for the projector, room and a few miscellaneous things.

If nothing, that could be used as a "basic" Hi-Fi reference baseline, from which to expand upon and/or judge value-based vertical ascension.

This would be just for one room of course, if you want home automation and TV's in the shower with touch screens etc, expect to pay more, a lot more.
I have a system similar to what you're talking about. Fronts and sides are SEOS-12/TD12M's. Then the other 6 speakers are SEOS12's with dual 6" woofers. Those are in the process. The clarity for music is amazing.

Builds: 
 x 5. 
post #16 of 31 Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The "high-end" side of the industry is distasteful.

Of course even without excessive money fanaticism is possible. Obsessive compulsive disorder can be ugly and destructive even when shopping at the thrift store. Point in case look at people who horde junk. Anything that turns you into a nut-case, audio or otherwise......... should be avoided.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #17 of 31 Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Haskins View Post

Anything that turns you into a nut-case, audio or otherwise......... should be avoided.
So I should get rid of my computer and wife? wink.gif

Builds: 
 x 5. 
post #18 of 31 Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Haskins View Post

The "high-end" side of the industry is distasteful.

Of course even without excessive money fanaticism is possible. Obsessive compulsive disorder can be ugly and destructive even when shopping at the thrift store. Point in case look at people who horde junk. Anything that turns you into a nut-case, audio or otherwise......... should be avoided.

Solid words of truth...so many get wrapped around the axel of minute performance differences that are overwhelmed by poor room layout and acoustics.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #19 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post

Solid words of truth...so many get wrapped around the axel of minute performance differences that are overwhelmed by poor room layout and acoustics.

and the mindset that if it's more expensive, it is better, is so rampant.
post #20 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
But you guys are missing out on the big picture. You want:

Amazing dynamics? Go here -> http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina44.htm

Brilliant high end? How about THIS? -> http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

Need something to improve your mains overall response? Here is the answer: -> http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina41.htm

Ultimate power cable that magically transforms your entire in-wall power wiring and the rest of your power distributor's hydro distribution grid into an audiophile grade system? Then you must have $15000 to flush into this -> http://bmicable.com/oceanic_statement
post #21 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz View Post

But you guys are missing out on the big picture. You want:

Amazing dynamics? Go here -> http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina44.htm

Brilliant high end? How about THIS? -> http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

Need something to improve your mains overall response? Here is the answer: -> http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina41.htm

Ultimate power cable that magically transforms your entire in-wall power wiring and the rest of your power distributor's hydro distribution grid into an audiophile grade system? Then you must have $15000 to flush into this -> http://bmicable.com/oceanic_statement

lol that site is awesome, it's a joke site, right? It's pretty sad I have to question if it's real or not. lol, there's too many "good" reviews for it to be real I think. Those pebbles you tape to the speaker wire are hilarious.
post #22 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:

lol that site is awesome, it's a joke site, right?
Yes, and no. The site owners are in on the gag, but not all visitors are, and yes, some people do believe it's real and do buy their stuff. Sad to say, but the only difference between machinadynamica and sellers of most 'high end' gear is the ease with which the average person can tell that it's a joke, and that it's on them. rolleyes.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #23 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Yes, and no. The site owners are in on the gag, but not all visitors are, and yes, some people do believe it's real and do buy their stuff. Sad to say, but the only difference between machinadynamica and sellers of most 'high end' gear is the ease with which the average person can tell that it's a joke, and that it's on them. rolleyes.gif

haha, that's awesome.
post #24 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

I'll let you make that choice. :-)

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #25 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For another $5-6000

For another $2000...
7 SEOS kits & parts

I personally would not spend $6K on electronics and amplification. a decent receiver is fully capable of driving high efficiency loudspeakers such as SEOS based ones. I am using HTPC with Denon 4311 and feel no need to upgrade.
LMS Ultras are nice to have but those w/ tighter budget and enough room can get very satisfying results for third of the price.
I think $12K maybe enough for a very competent audio system, good PJ in $2-3K range, AT screen and room treatments.
post #26 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

That's sort of my point. It's not just all the money spent on stupid things, it's all the actually important things that he ignored.

If I was spending six to seven figures on a listening room for stereo sound, it ought to look something like this:
post #27 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that picture of his room is probably the most damning thing from the whole piece.

Nothing can sound good there.
post #28 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:

That's sort of my point. It's not just all the money spent on stupid things, it's all the actually important things that he ignored.

If I was spending six to seven figures on a listening room for stereo sound, it ought to look something like this:

At what point wouldn't it make more sense to just build your own private anechoic chamber?
post #29 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

At what point wouldn't it make more sense to just build your own private anechoic chamber?

How do you know that isn't one?
post #30 of 31 Old 08-01-2013, 01:37 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

Now THAT is funny, I don't care who ya are smile.gif

I invite that guy over to my theater anytime, to show him exactly what less than $10,000 can get you smile.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page